• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

HOKUTO no Cathedral!

http://wadsinprogress.info/image.php?wad=1053&shot=3

From his WIP:

http://wadsinprogress.info/index.php?a=listwads&wad=1053

A black man in office, the tallest basketball player chinese, Benoit PRODUCING WORK. It must be the end of the world as we know it.

Well... If that shot is truly Benoit's Doom-rendered work, I'm impressed and guess I was wrong for being an asshole to him for months. Heh.

I could have sworn that at one point while working on Hokuto he said he didn't have a full version of Doom, just the shareware version.
Personally, I'd rather wait before I get my hopes up. From the looks of it, he's trying to create a lot of hype about it like Hokuto.

That composite screenshot doesn't look half-bad though I suspect the end-of-2008 deadline might be a little ambitious. So long as Iceman doesn't mercilessly promote this project it should receive a better reception than Hokuto.

Doesn't seem that interesting to me. RL locations to game adaptations rarely interest me, especially on the Doom engine.

But, is all this carrying on really necessary?

It doesn't get my attention. Yeah, the guy has skills and all, but I can't find a better use for this wad other than roaming for a max of 5 minutes in the map and then send it to the recycle bin.

TomoAlien said:

If it's gonna be DeathMatch map, it's gonna be called Gothic 08.

How dare you reveal my top-secret project!

He seems to be acting the same, like 90% of his wip entry posts are from him. But I guess it's better that he is hyping it there rather than every thread here. I'm just not expecting much out of it...

Looks pretty neat so far.

He seems to be a talented, determined guy. I'll definitely give him that. Also, keeping his promotion to that website shows a big improvement over his previous hype madness. The only remaining problems are that the Doom engine is an extremely bizarre choice for a canvas when you're not even a Doom fan, and that, as Vegeta notes, Doom players will look at this for a few minutes, realize that a cathedral isn't a good dm layout, and never look at it again (except to rip its textures).

He doesn't strike me as one of the most talented or birghtest people in the world, but I've got to give him credit for one thing. He really takes Doom seriously.

Craigs said:

He doesn't strike me as one of the most talented or birghtest people in the world, but I've got to give him credit for one thing. He really takes Doom seriously.

Is it any surprise? Hokuto no Ken is SERIOUS BUSINESS, so if he's a fan, he's obviously serious about everything he does.

NECK TWISTING FACE BREAKING PUNCH!

dutch devil said:

I am not impressed, but its nice to see some progress finally.

I'm not quite sure what's so special about this screen shot other then it being proof that he's actually doing the something. The textures really don't strike me as all that special and the only thing you can really see here is a pretty primitive archway will misaligned textures and a couple of windows. I might have been slightly more impressed if he had replaced the first two pictures with actual shots of the map

I've actually played this map (BFG10king the mobs at the bottom however), and I have to say, he has done an impressive job for a Vanilla compatible map (I still don't see why he wants V-Compatible though, when people can simply download ZDoom for free).

All those textures, from what he tells me, are actually pictures from the chapel he is basing his map off of. That shows quite a lot of determination.

Eternus said:

(I still don't see why he wants V-Compatible though, when people can simply download ZDoom for free).

Yeah, it's odd.

Anyway, a port with true 3D would be more appropriate, be it GZDoom or Vavoom or whatever else. Heck, a brush-based or mesh-based game would be better than a sector-based one. He's doing it just for the challenge.

Well, I think the point is less "there's no point mapping for vanilla" and more just the fact that afaik Iceman is planning this to be as close to an exact replication as possible, including the rows of benches, and due to vanilla's rendering limits it would be impossible to even include all the rows of benches as one single sector each without problems starting after several rows are added. To create something that's gigantic, pretty much completely open, and full of detailed architecture and tons of small structures that are important to its design, vanilla is a rather bizarre choice of engine. Even just doing it for limit-removing ports would make it significantly more feasible.

Gez said:

Yeah, it's odd.

Yeah I know, personally I always use GZDoom, or Skulltag if I don't feel like doing any more than right click and hit play. And when I talked to him about this, he said that "A Cathedral is a place for everyone".

Doom Marine wrote : I'm impressed
Iceman say : I'm honored you're all impressed, just finalised 3 textures 128x128 and one of 256x128, rest is mapping.
Anyway thanks to have initiate this thread.

GreyGhost wrote :end-of-2008 deadline might be a little ambitious
Iceman say :
Mix office duty and my business school drains my time...
Do I forgot to tell i'm in automotive industry and hanging the best as I can to my company.
So I'm quite focussed to keep my job :D :D :D :D (Heads are looking for 3500 people to quit the company.)

Gez said : He's doing it just for the challenge.
Iceman says : Yup, if there's no challenge, people regress

Shaikoten wrote : He's obviously serious about everything he does.
Iceman says : Hope so, otherwise other people won't have follow me on the crazy Hokuto project, we reached 4500 players, last count was 3000 in July :D

Eternus wrote : A Cathedral is a place for everyone.
Iceman says : Yup, a cathedral is a place for every Doom version too :D

Esselfortium wrote : Impossible to even include all the rows of benches
Iceman says : Runs with a texture mapping 1 penny trick with 20 rows (used a cyan transparent pattern)

Craigs wrote : More impressed if he had replaced the first two pictures with actual shots of the map
Iceman says : Didn't yet work on ceilings and floors, once done, map screenshots would be on the way

Butts wrote : I'm surprised he did SOMETHING.
Iceman says : Weren't precious texture and graphic animation something, damn ?

Creaphis wrote : except to rip its textures
Iceman says : would be an honor to see reuse of my photoshop skills

Bucket wrote : The only Doom map where you REALLY ARE in a Cathedral.
Iceman says : The only Doom map of a 1:1 scale exiting monument

Vegeta wrote : 5 minutes in the map and then send it to the recycle bin.
Iceman says : Well, would be my litte crap stone for the Doom archive

TomoAlien wrote : It's gonna be called Gothic 08.
Iceman says : Name not yet patented, will choose a name once done for the upload on archive, I've some ideas

CONCERNING WIP :
Would be great to see soon screen #2 and #3 updated to make people better understand the architecture matching.
Thanks in advance.

SPECIAL DEDICACE :

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/MandyMae/statler_and_waldorf.jpg

Dutch Devil wrote : I am not impressed, but its nice to see some progress finally.
zap610 wrote : I'm just not expecting much out of it...
Iceman says : Hey buddies, do you know how to make disappear a pencil ? :D (c) Hedge Ledger / The Joker / Dark Knight

Please don't post hell :D

lupinx-Kassman said:

Iceman, your project seemed finally start having a bit of a positive outlook until you made that retarded post :/.

I shouldn't have told him about it :P

I just replied to posts :D

Concerning map, original music is really good but I can't send it on a board till the release is done.
Maybe I may show it through Youtube or any way to not be able to record it.

I'll PM it to Doom Marine that shown an interest about project to get his opinion about.
Thanks to DM to keep it confidential and to NOT reuse it.

EDIT : PM sent.

Another tainted glass done, would be in use in the trancept part.

Some asked for screenshots, here are some :

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/1406/test1fm8.png

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/3913/test2oj1.png

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/1830/test3rf9.png

Feeling of height is matching with original monument.
Stone color is close to reality.

Just don't commment the stair effect on walls, as you can see on DB screenshot, they are not yet compressed to fit a distance of 2 between two lines.
I only tested this on one wall in the middle of the monument. Display is correct.

Nice shots, to bring back what esselfortium suggested before, you should just drop the entire doom2.exe compatible charade and go for Boom/Limitless Port-Compatibility, this will allow for much more architectural detailing, and you will run into less technical limits.