Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chungy

Xbox port questions

Since I have a shit PC for running the game, I was thinking of getting the Xbox version of this instead. I couldn't find what I wanted to know from searching previous threads, so here it goes:

1. The regular and Collector's Edition cost pretty much the same; does Doom 1/2 come on a separate disc or the same one in the collector's version (I want to make sure that used copies still have it)?
2. Is the game changed significantly? I heard the Xbox one has worse textures, but I don't know how much it'd effect the gameplay experience.
3. Does it support HD resolutions? (Most Xbox 1 games don't, but I might as well ask)

1. Collectors Edition had doom1 and 2 for the Xbox (on the same disc even). ROE for the Xbox came with them automatically, plus the Masters edition. If you have an xbox360 on the other hand, just buy Doom off the XBLA.

2. Significantly? No. There are some changes to some of the maps, but nothing significant.

3. Only on the 360 with its backward compatibility.

4. Yes, the multiplayer does work, but their seems to be issues between PAL and NTSC. However, there is also coop.

5. No I don't like Radishes.

Well I do have an Xbox 360, but its Xbox 1 emulator doesn't magically make old games high-resolution; only if they originally supported it in the first place.

I'm mostly interested in Doom 3, having 1+2 on it would just be a bonus especially when there's essentially no difference in price between the regular copy and the collector's copy.

Thanks for the answers :)

5. Radishes are alright in salads, as long as there aren't too many.

6. Yes, my cousin once, behind my uncle's garage.

MikeRS said:

Well I do have an Xbox 360, but its Xbox 1 emulator doesn't magically make old games high-resolution; only if they originally supported it in the first place.

Not if you put it that way, but its emulator will make it work in HD, just not render as if it was (so you won't lose any quality, but you won't gain any).

Well, that's what I meant. I have Splinter Cell which supports 480p, and even though the 360 is outputting at 1080i, it just scales the picture up. The original Xbox supported up to 1080i (not 1080p, however), though very few games actually displayed at resolutions higher than 480p.

MikeRS said:

Since I have a shit PC for running the game, I was thinking of getting the Xbox version of this instead. I couldn't find what I wanted to know from searching previous threads, so here it goes:

1. The regular and Collector's Edition cost pretty much the same; does Doom 1/2 come on a separate disc or the same one in the collector's version (I want to make sure that used copies still have it)?
2. Is the game changed significantly? I heard the Xbox one has worse textures, but I don't know how much it'd effect the gameplay experience.
3. Does it support HD resolutions? (Most Xbox 1 games don't, but I might as well ask)

As for question 1, I will answer with another question.

Do you want to know how the game was made, or do you want extra levels?

As for question 2, I tried regular xbox games on my former 360, which unfortunately got smashed, but, I tried it on Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I didn't see a significant improvement. Maybe it is changed, but it is unnoticable. Much like playing PS1 games on a PS2.

You won't see significant improvement (in fact, doom3 will load slower on the 360). The frame rate is somewhat better, thank god.

Warning: I have noticed that playing doom3 on my 360 will sometimes cause the console to freeze. If this is just mine or not I don't know, but you should always save often regardless.

I used to defend the Xbox port of Doom 3 during its release, saying it wasn't all that different. Graphically, it doesn't take a bad hit, but some levels are altered to a state that are unrecognizable compared to their PC counterparts. I believe you also lose less HP in the Xbox port, which allows me to run several levels in a row with just a chainsaw and horde tons of ammo. Both of those changes settle fine with me, though.

I got the Collector's Edition of it, seems good so far... the Marine difficulty is A LOT easier than the PC game, I should try the skill level higher than that, Veteran I think.

Doom 1/2 seem to have an annoying bug when playing sound effects, the start of them are preceeded by a "pop" in the audio. Is this an actual bug of the port or simply a side-effect of the emulator on Xbox 360?

EDIT: Also, if it's not too much to ask, would anyone be able to make a scan of the Limited Collector Edition so I can print it out and have a nice looking case (I got it used, and didn't come with the actual box...)? 600 DPI should do; PNG format please.

...heh. Well I'd go for the regular case too, if possible, just something to get rid of the generic GameStop cover.

Edward850 said:

You won't see significant improvement (in fact, doom3 will load slower on the 360). The frame rate is somewhat better, thank god.

Warning: I have noticed that playing doom3 on my 360 will sometimes cause the console to freeze. If this is just mine or not I don't know, but you should always save often regardless.

Mine hasnt freezed once... maybe the disc?

avery1555 said:

Mine hasnt freezed once... maybe the disc?

Nah, the disc is fine. May have been an off chance with me because it hasn't happened lately.