Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kristian Ronge

Kama Sutra demos [-complevel 2]

I'm immensely enjoying these demos. I can just sit and watch a full hour-plus demo without even blinking (so to speak). While I'm certainly not of this calibre of play, I can certainly appreciate watching the handiwork of someone who is!

Going for a stroll with the WalkCam is just amazing as well, how awesome is it to wander ghost-like around the level watching the Marine do his cleanup work from a 3rd-person perspective!

Greetings from Australia, good people; keep up the great work, and I'll keep watching :)

Doom Demos with WalkCam: Interactive TV for Doomies.

(Hey, that'd make a good signature!)

Whoa, I never even noticed the camera mode key for demos. That's cool to walk around while paused.

That'd be cool if you could somehow make a 'ghost image' while playing (like in f zero for n64 if I remember correctly) to easily compare the speed of various routes/strategies (probably a silent, partly translucent ghost, as it could be aurally distracting or block your sight).

I wonder... I recall seeing a question on whether the WalkCam could actually be made to fly (FlyCam?) and I recently had the idea that it could maybe be updated with the code that the Cacos use to fly. Extra buttons would have to be assigned to control the levitation movement (PageUp / PageDown maybe when WalkCam'ing the demo?). After all, it can already NoClip and gets ignored by monsters as well; maybe flight is the next step!

I'm no coder, so I don't know about the feasibility of this suggestion, but it's an idea :)

And yeah, a "ghost" would be interesting for a demo, but if you do things a different way, the ghost would be shooting at monsters that aren't there anymore (because they're chasing you, the player) wouldn't it?

I would guess only doomguy would be a ghost, none of the monsters would be ghosts (or way too visually disorienting). There would only be the single set of monsters you're currently fighting, so the doomguy ghost would often appear to shoot the air, but the ghost could be used to 'compete' with your previous runs speed-wise.

Yeah, a doomguy ghost would be hella neat (also appears in super mario kart) and I like that camera mode for demos too. It'd be cool if strafe-running while in camera mode was beneficial like in doom, so you could keep up with doomguy.

You probably already know but, in walkcam, pressing fire warps you on top of the doomguy (helpful if you lose him from strafe-running/a warp etc).

So much fun, watching these demos.

I wonder what Map28 would be like on a Realist (no plasma!) run... That would make it a fair chunk harder I imagine, as the Cybies and Mastermind would no longer be shredded in seconds (well, apart from the telefragged ones anyway).

Such a run is well beyond my skill, but is anyone else up for such a challenge?

Awesome!!

Kimo: How'd you figure that 3s exit was even possible? I've never seen a death-exit through a window before, that's nuts (awesomely so)!

Sweet work guys, lovin' it as always. :)

I hereby officially request it: Map28 UV-Max (or -fast, muahahaha...), no plasma weapons!

Dare anyone take up the challenge? :D

Thanks a lot Gusta and Ginger!
Here's a small 1s improvement to map12 =)
MAP12 UV Speed/Pacifist in 0:07
I couldn't get 6 seconds =/

BTW, I noticed the demos in this thread from page 2 onwards aren't on DSDA.
Andy, are you gonna add them or I send them to you?

ks12-007.zip

Kimo: Unfortunately, I don't have time to go back through old threads to find missing demos, but if you'd like to bundle them up and send them to me I'll be more than happy to post them.

Oooh! So close!! I can see where you're getting just... slightly... blocked...

I notice that you get "stopped" by that torch due to the vertical actor blocking that we all know and love. Is it necessary to be temp blocked by that so that by "forcing" your way past it, you gain a speed boost? Or is it the one little bit that you could possibly avoid to get those tics off the time and - woot! - within the 6s range?

Andy: Demos Sent.

Gingercat: you gain speed boost from the lamp to make the jump.
You can also make the jump by sr50 running from the side of the red bricks without getting blocked by the lamp.
But I think building just enough speed at the lamp to make the jump is faster as in this TAS :)

kimo: Thought so... Non-TAS, you'd have to be pretty damn accurate with that lamp - And then hope for good positioning luck with the uglies themselves too! Bloody hard :)

Still, the fact that an exit can be pulled off using a "lamp-run" in a mere 7s is mighty impressive, IMO.

Nice work! Keeping within the 4s range is very nicely done, especially considering it requires an Archie's cooperation :)

thank you. here's more:

map03 nightmare in 0:04
map05 uv-speed in 0:19
map05 uv-pacifist in 0:20
map05 nightmare in 0:23
map06 nightmare in 0:09

that 06 nm is my favourite by a mile, it felt like running through a meat grinder... i recommend trying it yourself. :)

edit: a stray word deleted

ksdew1.zip

more weird acrobatic sexual exercises.

map09 nightmare in 0:22
map11 uv-speed/pacifist in 0:22
map11 nightmare TAS in 0:42
map12 nightmare in 0:12
map14 uv-speed/pacifist in 0:10

got the uv route working on nm12, more or less. also 14 with akse's tas movie trick.

ksdew2.zip

back with more..

map15 secret exit uv-speed in 0:43
map16 uv-speed in 0:23
map16 uv-pacifist in 0:57

these were tough to get so my progress was slower. i'm proud of 16speed, the pacifist is cheap crap.

ksdew3.zip

yay more crap!

map17 uv-speed in 0:40
map17 uv-pacifist in 0:43 :)
map19 uv-speed in 0:32

ksdew4.zip

spam spam spam

map19 nm100s in 1:06
map21 uv-speed/pacifist in 0:25
map22 uv-speed in 2:40

19 and 22 were tough, so it's far less about perfection and more about dragging my ass to exit at all.

ksdew5.zip