Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spiderdemon6669

Super Nintendo For Xmas

Hey guys, I don't know if any of you remember, but I made a post on the Doom forums asking which cartrige system to get for doom. Originally I thought I would get a Jaguar, but after awile, I thought about getting Wolfenstein 3D as well, and I honestly don't like the Jaguar port. So when it came time for my mother to ask me what I wanted for Christmas, I happily asked for a super nintendo: because one-sided sprites, censorship, and high pixilation don't scare me LOL.

For the purpose of this topic, I would like your imput as to what other games I should get for it once the time comes for me to get games on my own. What games do you like?

Thanks in advance.

Super Mario Kart
Earthbound
Yoshi's Island
Dirt Trax FX
Pilotwings
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 6
R-Type 3
Super Bomberman 2
Flashback
Race Drivin'

This guy is renowned for his awesome taste in games (and jaw-dropping collection of game consoles, heh).

Nah, forget him, I would get the classic Super Mario Bros and Donkey Kong Country. And Doom, out of curiosity.

Star Fox was jaw-dropping at the time. 3D graphics on the SNES (well, they cheated, the SuperFX 2 inside the cartridge itself had more CPU power and RAM than the console did!) was awesome.

Spiderdemon6669 said:
What games do you like?

Super Mario World
Star Fox
Super Mario Kart

I could play those three all day.

Technician said:
Star Fox was great for the time but I find it horrible to play today. Star Fox 64 aged really well however.

I rented Star Fox 64 a couple of times but didn't like it much -- I can't remember why. I see that it's available for Virtual Console on the Wii; I should pick it up sometime...

AgentSpork said:

Super Metroid is a requirement.

holy shit, how did everyone miss this?

Yes, Super Metroid is THE game to play on SNES. Period.

I corroborate the sentiments on here about Super Metroid. But Secret of Mana is not to be forgotten as well. Additionally...

Final Fantasy II (IV Japan)
Super Ghouls and Ghosts
Secret of Evermore
Actraiser
SoulBlazer

Most of them have been said, so in addition I would recommend Final Fantasy 3 and Demon's Crest, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and E.V.O. The Search For Eden. I would reiterate get Actraiser, and Yoshi's Island.

Doom on SNES is disgusting looking, playing, and sounding. I just tried playing it again a couple weeks ago.

Other amazing games other than the previously mentioned:
Zombies Ate My Neighbors (great coop)
Super Mario RPG (best RPG ever)
Street Fighter II Turbo
Super Mario All Stars (4 graphically enhanced NES mario games, can't go wrong)
Maximum Carnage (Spiderman beat 'em up)
Super Smash TV (top down arcade shooter)
Legend of Zelda
Harvest Moon (if you're into that kinda thing)
F-Zero

I know I'm missing a lot here outside of even those that have been mentioned. I also explicitly didn't mention super famicom only games. The SNES is probably my favorite system.

MikeRS said:

Star Fox was jaw-dropping at the time. 3D graphics on the SNES (well, they cheated, the SuperFX 2 inside the cartridge itself had more CPU power and RAM than the console did!) was awesome.

Star Fox used the Super FX chip, not the Super FX 2.

Back on topic, I recommend you also get these if you have the money/time:
Alien 3
Earthworm Jim
Earthworm Jim 2
Mario Paint (assuming you can find a SNES Mouse)
Megaman VII
Megaman X
Megaman X2
Megaman X3
T2: The Arcade Game
TMNT IV: Turtles in Time

I wish my old SNES still worked... ;(

It's interesting you should post this, as I am getting an NES for Christmas. I have never owned an SNES so I really can't recommend any games for you based on my own experience. :( (But if anybody has games to recommend for the NES then that would be awesome...)

Jello said:

Most of them have been said, so in addition I would recommend Final Fantasy 3 and Demon's Crest, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and E.V.O. The Search For Eden. I would reiterate get Actraiser, and Yoshi's Island.

Ooh, I can't believe I forgot A Link to the Past. Demon's Crest was one that was on the tip of my tongue, since it beared such a strong resemblance in terms of artwork to Super Ghouls and Ghosts (to the point of using the Red Reamer as a basis for a protagonist).

Seconding Mega Man X*. Also consider Out of This World, Sim City, Mario Paint (for hilarious reasons) and Illusion of Gaia.

Hey wait...didn't we forget a household name that pretty much out ranks Jesus. What was it now? I can't remember...I think it was based in a fantasy like universe...

Super Mario RPG!

I really coulnd't stand FF past two

StupidBunny said:

It's interesting you should post this, as I am getting an NES for Christmas. I have never owned an SNES so I really can't recommend any games for you based on my own experience. :( (But if anybody has games to recommend for the NES then that would be awesome...)

Tengen's Tetris is pwn

Technician said:

I really coulnd't stand FF past two

Which one, this one or or this one? (The later has always been called Final Fantasy IV in later re-releases, even though Final Fantasy III (the real one, not FF6) was never released outside of Japan until the NDS port)

MikeRS said:

I still remain disappointed in Star Fox 64 just because it has no original content. meh

Did you play the same game I did? I found that sticking to the original style is what made the game fun - unlike the horrible SFA and Assault and all the other shit festivals in the SF franchise.

MikeRS said:

Which one, this one or or this one? (The later has always been called Final Fantasy IV in later re-releases, even though Final Fantasy III (the real one, not FF6) was never released outside of Japan until the NDS port)

postcount++

Really, The only II he would talk about is the one that would fit in the cartridge slot. It's safe to say he's talking about FF4j. C'mon, man, use your noggin.

Who said that changing styles had to be bad? both SFAs being bad doesn't mean a whole lot.

It's like Doom 3 (which wasn't really a bad game, so much as being a completely unexpected genre); it doesn't mean that a new Doom game has to be 100% the original style to be good.

Oh also: Which Final Fantasy game he was talking about is not obvious. When talking about FF2/FF3, people mean different things by them all the time, and it tends to be really hard to tell what they're talking about without further clarification. (Case in point: later American re-releases have always called them Final Fantasy IV and VI, and FF2 was released on the PlayStation/GBA, though you had to wait until like a couple years ago for FF3) Plus, who's to say he doesn't live in Japan?

He's implying that if I only played up until FF2. I'm not weaboo enough to discover that there was a line up of FF games that were cut out of the American continuity line. I didn't even know they existed until a little while back.

EDIT: Grammar

StupidBunny said:

For NES I would recommned the first Zelda game, Super Mario Bros 2 (It's still my favorite super mario game, even if it didn't have anything to do with the mario series until it came out in America), Gargoyle's Quest 2, Metroid, Castlevania I and III, Snake Rattle and Roll, Iron Sword 2, Duck Tales.

MikeRS said:

I think it's pretty obvious he's talking about the American version of Final Fantasy IV, called Final Fantasy II in America since it was the second one released here. The discussion is about the Super Nintendo, not the Super Famicon, so obviously he wouldn't have been talking about the Japanese version of FFII, since it was never released for the SNES nor the Super Famicon. But hooray, you can ignore the subject to show that you know about the Japanese history of a game. I would say that FFIII (VI, whatever) was a very excellent game as well. After VII I never managed to finish any of them though. But if you're looking for a good SNES RPG, I would suggest Chrono Trigger, I don't think it's been mentioned yet.

NES?

RC Pro Am 2
Dragon Strike
The Guardian Legend
Blaster Master
Shatterhand
Shadow of the Ninja
Ninja Gaiden series
Smash TV
Overlord (NES port of Supremacy)
Rescue: The Embassy Mission
River City Ransom

and finally the game that blew me away when I first played it, since I had no idea that the NES would be capable of handling a game comparable to Desert/Jungle Strike

Ultimate Air Combat

For SNES these are must haves:

The Lost Vikings
Secret of Mana
Super Metroid
Zelda III
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Final Fantasy III (VI)

Lich said:

Final Fantasy II (IV Japan)

this

also Kirby Superstar
Gradius III
Street Fighter Alpha 2
MUSCLE Bomber (Saturday Night Slam Masters)
Super Bomberman 2