Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AveryMaurice

DarkDoom

Recently, I have been working on the DarkDoom project, which basically is a stand-alone Doom engine that doesnt use WADs. The purpose is for custom level design and modding, and will have remakes of classic Doom maps with some new ones. The release will have FreeDoom graphics and sprites, but with XWE you can rip the original Doom sprites and put them into the folder and run DarkDoom with them, the unfortunate part for that is that the weapons (Original Doom Replacements) and Modded weapons must be in an Animated Gif format, I recommend to compile the images into an AniGif with "Photoscape".

Another thing I hope to put in (not in the Beta Release though) is the map editor, drag and drop sectors basically, but is not as deep and as rewarding as creating a map in Doom Builder or anything.

This project is quite underway and is somewhat near completion, I will post a reply on this thread with screenies soon!

If you want more information, or want to help (mods, making maps, anything else) contact me at avery1555[at]gmail[dot]com.

Anyways, I should have some screens up by Monday or Tuesday (on this thread) and the site should be up soon! Any support or feedback is appreciated.

This sounds like a unique approach. Looking forward to those screens. Could you speak a little more about your design decisions and why you've made them? Not using wads, using animated gifs, etc.

I imagine that most of us are content with the way that Doom Builder and XWE let us do things. Is this for Doomers, or is it another "Doom for Dummies" project to get a different crowd interested?

Its a Doom engine recarnation basically, maps will be easier to edit along with mods, yes, but it does not only appeal to beginners. Screens coming soon!

So basically the Mods and everything are loaded in the options menu, you basically turn Mod to "On" and then DarkDoom retrieves your modded images, textures, etc, and loads them into the game. Its pretty cool so far :D. Like I said, e-mail me for more information or ask me here if you want.

jute gyte said:

This sounds like a unique approach. Looking forward to those screens. Could you speak a little more about your design decisions and why you've made them? Not using wads, using animated gifs, etc.

Well, when we compile DarkDoom, it compiles animations, long story short these frames need to be compiled into a single image file, so our best choice was an AniGif.

Wads I find are overused and a bit complicated sometimes, so instead im using a different filetype, probably .DDM (DarkDoom Map), so your maps can still be distributed.

Feel free to ask more questions.

GreyGhost said:

Is this in any way related to a DarkBASIC game I tried to play recently?

No, it will be traditionally 2D sprites. None of the engine was made in DarkBasic, its called "DarkDoom" because my friends often call me "Dark" for the music I listen to, it sorta became a nickname, and I applied it in the engines title sorta like a signature. I was not aware of the DarkBasic game, but im certain we wont have copyright issues because that game is Free Software and open as I see it, more of a "test" then a game.

Okay, why are you doing this? Is this some sort of school project or something? I mean, not trying to shoot down your idea, but I don't see a need for the things you're doing.

EarthQuake said:

Okay, why are you doing this? Is this some sort of school project or something? I mean, not trying to shoot down your idea, but I don't see a need for the things you're doing.

Its a project to make people that dont make WADs able to still make Doom maps and mods, I think I said that above. But obviously, this does not appeal to you.

Also, for example, there was no need for Score Doom, but it was made for enjoyment, same here.

I'm just not really sure I understand how this is going to make custom level design different in a way that's better than what we already have.

Making maps for doom is not so difficult. It's difficult to make good maps.

So question is: with your Darkdoom will i be able to create maps better than doom wads?

Ok, designing a WAD without errors and glitches isnt that easy for a beginner, thats for sure.

Anyways, you basically drag and drop walls, enemies and pickups in and then save in .DDM for later use or distribution. You can of course, play the maps in the engine. Its 10X easier then editing a WAD and is meant for if your just fooling around, etc.

Lorenzo said:

Making maps for doom is not so difficult. It's difficult to make good maps.

So question is: with your Darkdoom will i be able to create maps better than doom wads?

No, its meant for fooling around or creating gigantic deathmatch/horde battles and to get people (beginners) familiar with editing Doom maps.

I got an e-mail and people are looking forward to those screenshots, im planning on finishing up the map editor before posting them, so sorry for the delay!

I'll work doubletime to get at least the editor screens up, and hopefully soon put the editor up for download.

Sorry again, but soon! Ive just been busy.

Avery1555

avery1555 said:

Ok, designing a WAD without errors and glitches isnt that easy for a beginner, thats for sure.

Nothing worth doing is easy, silly.

So if this uses a different format, what is the relationship between this and Doom? Besides it being based on Doom. Does it use a 3D engine based on the Doom source code? If so, how are you doing all this map conversion and what programming experience do you have? What's it written in? If this is a completely different game, why is it in the Source Ports forum?

The fact that I'm still completely blank about what you're doing, must mean something is wrong with your descriptions.

EarthQuake said:

So if this uses a different format, what is the relationship between this and Doom? Besides it being based on Doom. Does it use a 3D engine based on the Doom source code? If so, how are you doing all this map conversion and what programming experience do you have? What's it written in? If this is a completely different game, why is it in the Source Ports forum?

The fact that I'm still completely blank about what you're doing, must mean something is wrong with your descriptions.

Ok, I got some screenshots and answers, finally.

First answers.

The engine is based off Finites source, who is a game designer I work with. My programming experience is C++, Basic and GML for 2 years about. It plays the same but is not built off Doom source. I didnt know where else to put it, and I figured its sortof a Windows XP/Vista conversion.

Okay, screenshots!

Basic map I made in the Beta editor, one texture, one room, no monsters, the editor is still very incomplete, as you can tell, I would wait until the editor is done but people want to see it now, so here it is so far, this is only the edit area btw : http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/9084/data2008122707362328qe3.png

Rendered map from the DDM editor : http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/8307/data2008122707412501oi0.png

I need to finish more before posting more screens shots, so you can plainly see its still VERY, VERY, incomplete, there isnt even an ammo or health HUD, lol.

avery1555 said:

and to get people (beginners) familiar with editing Doom maps.

Not to be raining on your parade, but how does that work when they're not making them in the same way?

I fully welcome this project.
Anything to get more people interested in Doom is a good sign. I support what you are doing.

Sonikku7 said:

Anything to get more people interested in Doom is a good sign. I support what you are doing.

Not if it's a diversion from many of the documented procedures and doesn't end up being that much easier or better. The OP here seems to be confusing the concept of WAD. A WAD is a container format that holds a bunch of stuff, be it maps or graphics or sprites or sounds or whatever. What we're talking about here is not that a WAD is too "complex" to make but rather that the OP here feels like MAP/LEVEL authoring is too "complicated" based on existing tools. I think programs like Doom Builder make it pretty easy to at least make simple maps, and the new procedure presented here seems to be rather limited in its end results. I think we need to see more substance from the author, but it all seems rather confusing.

Edit: Upon further re-reading some of this and the latest post from the author it appears this isn't even based on doom anyway. It seems to me this is only using the RESOURCES (textures, sprites etc) in some other engine. If you are not ending up with maps for doom you are not making doom maps. You cannot tout this as being easier doom map making when it's not doom based.

This project strikes me as absolutely pointless. The Doom level format is an integral part of how the engine works. If you do something different it won't be Doom, especially if - as your screenshots seem to imply - the result indeed looks more like Wolf3D.

Making editing easier, that's a good one! Say what you want but my guess is that you will only attract the hopeless shitmappers with such an approach.

Graf Zahl said:

This project strikes me as absolutely pointless. The Doom level format is an integral part of how the engine works.

My feelings pretty much. I assume anything made with DarkDoom won't even work in the actual Doom engine or vise-versa, which as a supposed learning tool is pretty dumb. If you find the process of making levels difficult, maybe a more intuitive level editor would be a better idea, although you'd be hard pressed to come up with anything more simple than Doom Builder, which already does 80% of the hard stuff for you.

Sonikku7 said:

Thanks! I hope people stop judging this so harshly before they get to see more and understand it more.

Its meant for fun, not pro Doomers.

Graf Zahl said:

Making editing easier, that's a good one! Say what you want but my guess is that you will only attract the hopeless shitmappers with such an approach.

Its such a good one, aint it! Hahaha!

Do you get your kicks from criticizing projects that you couldnt even make yourself?