Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Doom/ Doom 2 pop quiz!

Huh?

*checks wiki*

Oh THAT! You just reminded me of some extremely frustrating moments, when I was but a mere Doom cadet.

For that matter, the north side of that map has two inescapable slime pits as well.

I guess Hellbent should have asked about which level you can get stuck in without having your death imminent.

Creaphis said:

Huh?

*checks wiki*

Oh THAT! You just reminded me of some extremely frustrating moments, when I was but a mere Doom cadet.

For that matter, the north side of that map has two inescapable slime pits as well.

I guess Hellbent should have asked about which level you can get stuck in without having your death imminent.

yes, I should have phrased it properly.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Here's a question: In which Doom 1 map is it possible to transform a large part of it with just a single press?

That's kinda easy isn't it? Although what I'm thinking requires more than a single press.... And then the other one I'm thinking doesn't require a press at all.... Depends what your definition of "press" is. I think of that meaning flipping a switch or pressing a switch. Ohh... I think I got it.

Spoiler

E4M2

Is that it?

Here's a question: In which Doom 1 map is it possible to transform a large part of it with just a single press?

I almost said E3M9, but then remembered that this was no fake exit switch but a fake exit teleport...

Doctor Faust said:

I almost said E3M9, but then remembered that this was no fake exit switch but a fake exit teleport...

yep yep, I almost made the same mistake.

Here's my choice.

Spoiler

The fake "exit teleport" in E3M9 which totally transforms the map with a single action. I can't accept E4M2 since strictly speaking Episode 4 isn't part of Doom 1.

Aw man, I recall there being this wacky switch somewhere that would raise the floor over and over...

Spoiler

I'm gonna go with E2M6.

Halls of the Damned, It's a later map in E2, but I remember a switch changing a huge portion of the land to nukage.

JohnnyRancid said:

Halls of the Damned, It's a later map in E2, but I remember a switch changing a huge portion of the land to nukage.

That one isn't a switch either, you walk over it on the way to the berserk near the beginning.

It's got to be one of those untagged lifts that move every untagged floor to a new height (don't have the IWAD here to search for one right now though).

Hellbent said:

Maybe this isn't true for vanilla doom, but in zdoom monsters can close doors that have DR tag even if the door is opened. Since one of the doors has a D1 open blue stay open, the blue key will only work once opening the door. So if a monster (or a player) closes that door from the other side, you can get stuck on the false exit side of the door.

That can happen in vanilla if the back side of the door isn't a locked door type.  The yellow door in E2M4, for example: I remember trying to bait the cacos at the end to fly under the crusher.  They activated the door on the way through as monsters usually do, closing it behind them, and then I couldn't reopen it since the front side is D1.

I'm surprised no-one got this...here's the answer:

Spoiler

E3M5. Go to the bfg room, noclip into one of the teleport traps, stand in front of the sector that lowers to allow the monsters out (which happens to have an untagged Floor: S1 down to lowest floor linedef) and press use. Et voila, large parts of the map transformed. Doesn't work on ZDoom.

Aww, that's tricky man. You know, I swore I remembered the original Doom.exe having some sort of wonky thing where if you used IDBEHOLD to give yourself Lite-Amp Goggles, they would turn off when you entered those teleport traps. Or maybe it was shareware Doom and I'm just thinking of the one in E1M9? Wish my old DOS computer still worked so I could check...

Spoiler

E3M5. Go to the bfg room, noclip into one of the teleport traps, stand in front of the sector that lowers to allow the monsters out (which happens to have an untagged Floor: S1 down to lowest floor linedef) and press use. Et voila, large parts of the map transformed. Doesn't work on ZDoom.

Have never seen this before... a bit tricky...

Come on, surely I'm not the only one who found this bug :p

Curiously it opens all those strange designs on the walls. I wouldn't call it a bug because it's out of the way, though. Unless the monsters can magically acquire the ability to activate the line :p

In the beta the level really is buggy.

Spoiler

Ehh.... you didn't specify you had to cheat to make it happen. I think we all were assuming it was something that can happen legit. I can't even test it cause my computer won't run Doom.exe.

If I'd have mentioned cheats I might've given it away ;)

(since I was expecting at least some people to have noclipped in those teleport traps just to see what was in there and then go pressing on random lines, which is how I discovered it in the mid-90's :p)

Hellbent said:
I can't even test it cause my computer won't run Doom.exe.

I doubt that very much. It should work in the Windows command prompt without sound, or also fully in DOSBox (unless your system is particularly old). There's also Chocolate Doom.

Hellbent said:

Ehh.... you didn't specify you had to cheat to make it happen. I think we all were assuming it was something that can happen legit. I can't even test it cause my computer won't run Doom.exe.

This kind of puzzle is best if it takes lateral thinking to solve. I didn't realize that cheating was necessary, but that's no fault of the puzzle - it means the puzzle was a little bit more clever than I am.

I'm surprised that you don't have a working DosBox setup to play Doom in, with your old-school preferences. My relatively new-school self just recently figured out how to abuse the joystick speed config value and novert.com to get Heretic.exe running in DosBox the way I like it.

Creaphis said:

This kind of puzzle is best if it takes lateral thinking to solve. I didn't realize that cheating was necessary, but that's no fault of the puzzle - it means the puzzle was a little bit more clever than I am.

I'm surprised that you don't have a working DosBox setup to play Doom in, with your old-school preferences. My relatively new-school self just recently figured out how to abuse the joystick speed config value and novert.com to get Heretic.exe running in DosBox the way I like it.

You have a valid point. There are entire puzzle books devoted to constructing just these types of questions that play on peoples' assumptions to make them challenging.

I've begrudgingly gotten used to Zdoom, but it is somewhat of a wonder I haven't checked out Chocolate Doom yet. Maybe I was afraid they had converted Knee Deep in the Dead into a chocolate factory: all the slime pits of Refinery had been drained and replaced with rivers of Willy Wonka's latest chocolate.

Next quiz question (this one will require doing research for 99.99% of Doomers. In other words, any and all resources you can think of for finding the answer is fair game. In what way is Edgar Allen Poe connected to Doom?

You know how zombies often suddenly appear from behind lowering walls? Poe is the guy who trapped them behind the walls in the first place.

(with false promises of Amontillado)

Hellbent said:
In what way is Edgar Allen Poe connected to Doom?

A dumb guess which is probably not what you're looking for but is true:

Spoiler

Poe wrote a poem titled The Raven. Raven Software made games based upon the Doom engine.

CODOR said:

A dumb guess which is probably not what you're looking for but is true:

Spoiler

Poe wrote a poem titled The Raven. Raven Software made games based upon the Doom engine.

That is actually a very good guess. Not sure why you thought it was dumb. It isn't what I was thinking tho.