Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Necros20

Quake modding

At times I've been tempted to give it a go, but I've always been too lazy to look around for a decent map editor to use. I wouldn't mind making a map for the game just for kicks, though. I have mapped for other full-3D games though:

• Quake 2
  • Quake 3 Arena
  • Half-Life
  • Half-Life 2
  • Doom 3

I may have modded for Quake, but I never done anything more than augmented it to make it favorable more towards me, like give myself 1,000 health, make the axe able to gib a shambler in one hit, make every weapon 4 times as powerful, make the Pentagram of Protection permanent, etc.

I've been a bad boy... :)

AgentSpork said:

At times I've been tempted to give it a go, but I've always been too lazy to look around for a decent map editor to use.

Oh, you mean This???

Old Quake map I did back in 1998. I am concidering doing a 'restoration' to this map.

And then there's a couple of ancient Quake 2 maps that may still be floating around somewhere on the internets. Only one that still exist up to my knowledge can be found here

I've only edited and skinned models. I've never touched mapping outside of Doom.

leileilol is the most competent Quake editor here.

AgentSpork said:

I've always been too lazy to look around for a decent map editor to use.
[/list]

This morning I broke out Qoole, a quake map editor I've had for a while but have never really used much. It also does Quake 2 and Hexen 2. It was a retail product when I got it but I think it's now freely downloadable.

Necros20 said:

It was a retail product when I got it but I think it's now freely downloadable.

And open source

I used to mess around with it for my own amusement. Made stuff like homing missiles and ricochets off of knight armor. Didn't make maps though.

I always wondered what is the best map editor for Quake. I made a few maps with Worldcraft but that's it. I tried several map editors, but there were either all hard to use, or my computer couldn't handle it or didn't have the required hardware.

I'm actually pretty familiar with Worldcraft since I've done a little bit of Half-Life/Source Engine mapping in the past. Maybe I'll give that a shot and see if I can't whip up a crappy map or two. :P

I remember hearing that GTKRadiant supported the original Quake, but I was never able to get that working when I tried it. That would have been my preferred editor of choice, since I'm most familiar with Radiant from my short-lived Doom 3 mapping 'career'.

AgentSpork said:

I remember hearing that GTKRadiant supported the original Quake, but I was never able to get that working when I tried it. That would have been my preferred editor of choice, since I'm most familiar with Radiant from my short-lived Doom 3 mapping 'career'.

That would be QERadiant possibly. GTK never supported anything older than IdTech3. Which is why I had to use Worldcraft 1,6 to make Q2 maps. QERadiant kept fucking them up for me as I saved them.

Quark however is an excellent editor that support Quake.

AgentSpork said:

I'm actually pretty familiar with Worldcraft since I've done a little bit of Half-Life/Source Engine mapping in the past. Maybe I'll give that a shot and see if I can't whip up a crappy map or two. :P

There's a way to get GTKRadiant to support the Quake maps, but it requires some tricky work-arounds. If you're interested I can show you how to set it up.

Doom's editing community seems much more active than Quake's, at least from a tool development standpoint. Most of the tools people are currently using for Doom mapping and editing are pretty recent, especially with Doom Builder 2 right around the corner.

As far as Quake is concerned, it looks like people are stuck using antiquated tools that have been around for years and years, with updates few and far between.

Of course, this is from the perspective of someone who doesn't really do Quake editing. I could be totally wrong. :D

Quake1 and 2 modders are usually mashed up with the Quake 3 community. There are communities out there dedicated to various level design, with Quake being one of them.

I'd also comment on the Doom community being built on intelligent and civil members but I just started playing Zdaemon again and everyone there acts like they are straight out of /b/.

Technician said:

I'd also comment on the Doom community being built on intelligent and civil members but I just started playing Zdaemon again and everyone there acts like they are straight out of /b/.

Well, the Doom editing community and the Doom multiplayer community may as well be two completely separate things as far as I'm concerned. The line is drawn when you have people making cooperative-oriented or deathmatch maps, however. :P

Yes, the Quake mapping and modding community is less active than Doom's indeed. On the other hand, the general quality of their stuff seems to be somewhat higher than many of the /newstuff releases.

It's right that many people still use the old tools (except for compilers), but there are also one or two newer editors and it's also possible to map in Hammer, for example. There's just nothing as 'all-encompassing' as DB.

Kaiser: That looks quite promising!

AgentSpork: It's definitely possible to map for Quake with GTKR, though it might require some doctoring around, yeah. I think 1.5 even has inbuild compatibility. But it's all a bit quirky...

neg!ke said:

AgentSpork: It's definitely possible to map for Quake with GTKR, though it might require some doctoring around, yeah. I think 1.5 even has inbuild compatibility. But it's all a bit quirky...

Hrm, well Worldcraft does just about everything I need it to do, so I'll stick with that for the time being.

Your maps are really impressive looking, by the way. I especially love the more abstract looking maps. :D

AgentSpork said:

Half-Life [1]

Hey, can you send a link please? I want to play these levels! :-P ... I also created some Half Life 1 maps: they are not that much beautiful, but I think the gameplay is great! Wanna try them out?

Deeforce said:

Hey, can you send a link please? I want to play these levels! :-P ... I also created some Half Life 1 maps: they are not that much beautiful, but I think the gameplay is great! Wanna try them out?

Sorry, but the Half-Life maps I made are looong gone by now. I think I forgot to back them up during a reformat or something. Pretty much all of the non-doom maps I made are gone, with the exception of some random Rise of the Triad maps I made a year ago and a couple of Doom 3 maps which (I assume) are still part of the LMS Mod for Doom 3.

I'll check those maps of yours out though. :D

I think you should pay more attention to designing levels for 3D games. You should make levels for Left4Dead, or better yet, Portal :D

AgentSpork said:

Sorry, but the Half-Life maps I made are looong gone by now.

Oh, what a pity :-( .

AgentSpork said:

I'll check those maps of yours out though. :D

That would be great :-) !

Kaiser said:

I think [AgentSpork] should pay more attention to designing levels for 3D games. [AgentSpork] should make levels for Left4Dead, or better yet, Portal :D

Never played one of these... I think he should map for the great game Half Life 1! It also has some similarities to doom: it is bloody, plays great and you can easily make maps for it!

Necros20 said:

Has anyone here ever worked on a mod for quake?

I haven’t ever made anything for Quake, but I like to play custom mods. My favorite mod for Quake 4 is Hardqore.

Kaiser: I'm honestly at a loss as to how you made such good use of the Quake tech textures. They're so... nonexistent. The few tech textures there are are really difficult to use without making everything look overly repetitive. I even tried looking at some of the stock Quake maps to see how they used them and (in my opinion) their usage looks pretty terrible.

AgentSpork: Thanks. They were made with Quest, btw.

The base (tech) texture theme is the easiest one to work with, in my view. I guess the secret is to just trim everything. The stock maps are very poor in every aspect and shouldn't be used as an example. If you're interested in seeing maps that make good use of those textures, I recommend checking out some of the 'excellent'-rated maps at Quaddicted, e.g. czg/Vondur's E1M1RMX or than's DM3RMX.

AgentSpork said:

Kaiser: I'm honestly at a loss as to how you made such good use of the Quake tech textures. They're so... nonexistent. The few tech textures there are are really difficult to use without making everything look overly repetitive. I even tried looking at some of the stock Quake maps to see how they used them and (in my opinion) their usage looks pretty terrible.

Took me a while to play around with it, but I realized that the smaller the rooms, the easier the textures are on the eyes.

Trimming and breakup usually helps as well.