Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WillWater87

PSX Doom

I'll never get over how ugly the original doom looks when every single room has colored lighting. They didnt even give maps a consistent color scheme.

At least Doom64 was made with textures that didn't have a real color scheme, but they made all their maps with generally the same sector colors.

??? Why would someone want to port PSX DOOM, when (unless I'm mistaken) it just consists of levels from the pre-existing PC versions? DOOM 64 was a completely new game, I can understand why that was ported, but this . . .

Great stuff - playing through it again.
Although the PSX version is an inferior version - this is pretty cool to have.

MmM said:

??? Why would someone want to port PSX DOOM, when (unless I'm mistaken) it just consists of levels from the pre-existing PC versions? DOOM 64 was a completely new game, I can understand why that was ported, but this . . .

No, you see, this is a game of "telephone" that the Doom community is playing. These same levels have actually been ported back and forth between the PC and PS around... six times each, now.

signofzeta said:

psx doom only works on the psx, not the PC.

Wrong.

There are two ways to play it on PC:
1.Use an PSX emulator (Plays the same if you're using a PSX scheme joypad).
2.Play the ZDooM Total Conversion.

signofzeta said:

psx doom only works on the psx, not the PC.

How the hell do you know? You know nothing of what ZDoom can achieve. So look at the link before you can even comment.

Last I heard you couldn't just stick the PSX Doom CD in (or get the rom) and tell a source port to launch it.

A mod of it, will always be a re-creation and not the real thing.

Though yeah, you can play the real PSX Doom on a PC by using an emulator.

Is playing super mario brothers on an emulator EXACTLY THE SAME as playing it on the NES?

PSX doom only works on a PSX. Now it wouldn't be called PSX doom if it wasn't on the PSX would it now.

I'm trying to say, is that, PSX doom is PSX doom if it runs on a PSX, and you see the graphics through your TV screen, not your computer monitor.

Zdoom, and emulators can play PSX doom on your PC, but even IF they can achieve that, they are only PSX doom wannabes, or was it clone, or was it knockoff, oh whatever.

Ok, here is what defines PSX doom. Take your PSX doom CD, should be black on one side, like all PSX games, and try to run it on your PC. It won't. Zdoom, nor emulators won't make it run either. For Zdoom, you are just playing a mod for doom to make it look like PSX doom. That is called a knockoff. As for Emulators, playing PSX doom on that makes it a PSX doom clone, or wannabe.

If you aren't playing PSX doom on a PSX, then it isn't a PSX doom. It is just simply PC doom, or Doom, or Classic Doom, or whatever it is called right now.

Doom 64 is called Doom 64 on N64, but I tend to call it Doom64 TC if it was on PC.

signofzeta said:

a bunch of crap

An emulator emulates the hardware, not the game. PSX Doom on a PC is exactly the same as PSX Doom on a PSX. Whether or not the hardware is emulated perfectly is irrelevant.

Creaphis said:

No, you see, this is a game of "telephone" that the Doom community is playing. These same levels have actually been ported back and forth between the PC and PS around... six times each, now.

Alright, we got four columns, staircase to green armor...door into computer room, purple monkey dishwasher

signofzeta said:

Is playing super mario brothers on an emulator EXACTLY THE SAME as playing it on the NES?

Put simply, yes.

EPSX1.70 + PsxDoomDisc + joypad ... PsxDoom

Played it on an old PSX and CRT-TV and I have to say I like it better on the emu because you can savestate and the LCD has far better contrast.

MmM said:

There are enough differences for it to be worth playing, including the inclusion of Doom2 enemies into the UDoom maps. Even for people like you who aren't interested in the smaller differences, there are a ten-or-so completely new levels as well.

Yep, I see it as an interesting interpretation of the original.
Though the texture choice is horrendous.

One of the most fun ways to play PSX DOOM (and Final DOOM) is on the PSP. Full speed, just like the original, but portable baby!! :D

No better way to make those boring church services go by faster than killing demons on your PSP... and it's actually not as heretical as watching football on a portable TV - you ARE killing DEMONS from hell, after all. ;)

Chilly Willy said:

and it's actually not as heretical as watching football on a portable TV - you ARE killing DEMONS from hell, after all. ;)

Watching TV would at most be blasphemous -- a lack of respect for the ceremony can be taken as an insult. However, Doom is more heretical since its depiction of Hell and demons isn't canon. :P

Gez said:

Watching TV would at most be blasphemous -- a lack of respect for the ceremony can be taken as an insult. However, Doom is more heretical since its depiction of Hell and demons isn't canon. :P

:D

Lapsed Catholic... The Church does believe in demons and such, but you're supposed to leave the fighting to The Church. They also wouldn't use a shotgun or rocket launcher. :)

I would guess they would call watching TV during the service a Cardinal Sin and make you recite 100 Hail Marys and 100 Our Fathers as penance. I used to HATE doing that.

I suppose if you made a mod of Doom where you used a Crucifix and Holy Water, you might get away with playing it in church. :D

TomoAlien said:

Wrong.

There are two ways to play it on PC:
1.Use an PSX emulator (Plays the same if you're using a PSX scheme joypad).
2.Play the ZDooM Total Conversion.

Are you saying you can play psx Doom on the pc with ZDoom total conversion INCLUDING the psx music?
If so I'd be all over this.

PSX Doom was the climax of DOOM imho.
The music really brought the game to life.

I was disappointed to learn that neither of the Dooms on the PS1 supports splitscreen. What a gyp.

I was going to mention that, but I remembered that I didn't give a fuck about the Link Cable just like everyone else.

It's near impossible to find someone who had a playstation, the same game, a cable to link the playstations together, AND two TV's in the same room.