Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Internet Acclerators

I hate this crappy 56k. Most downloads over two megs take a little much of a long while to download, and since I've gotten into the habit of downloading Quake 2 levels, it's been a megabyte in my ass to download them, since even the smallest are usually over a Megabit.
This made me wonder: are there any good, working Internet accelerators out there for a poor, 56k user like myself to use? I wish I could get a DSL or cable Net link but where I live it's an impossibility.
Any suggestions?
Note:
This has been my first new topic in some time...:)

Heh, I'll try to remember that. Though the chances are slim to none that'll I'll EVER get DSL. Some of you just don't realize how lucky you are. :\

You whiner. I used to download Quake 2 levels all the time on my old 56k. You only need about two or three maps a day anyway.

"Internet accelerators" generally just preload linked pages for you so that pages appear to load faster. They wont help your download speeds.

[SCBC]

56K? 56K?!! TRY 2-FUCKING-6K!!! on a wopping 2.50Kb a sec!!! and that's on a good day! try deathmatching on that!!! GAAAAARRRRRNNNNN!!!!!!

I hate this modem. I hate this town. I hate this country.

Actually this modem is ok...for a 33.6k...I don't mind...this computer is so slow anyways it doesn't matter...

"Internet accelerators" generally just preload linked pages for you so that pages appear to load faster. They wont help your download speeds.

System Mechanic's NetBooster is a tool designed to optimize an important group of Windows configuration settings that directly affect your network and Internet connection speed. When Windows is installed, these settings are in most cases not optimized for the Internet or for your particular network connection and actually prevent you from reaching potential download and upload speeds due to information "fragmentation" and other redundant delays. Previously, there was no simple way to edit these settings manually without dangerously exploring and modifying the Windows registry by hand, however NetBooster now makes it easy for anyone to reach maximum performance with a few clicks.

Many people experience increases in throughput speed of over 200% when using NetBooster's optimizations. NetBooster does not allow your modem (or other connection device) to establish a connection at a faster rate than it did before, it allows it to transfer more data at once over that connection. This results in faster, more reliable downloads, uploads, e-mail, web-browsing, on-line gaming, and more. NetBooster's effects will benefit all applications that use an Internet connection such as all web browsers, e-mail programs, all versions of America Online and any other on-line service such as CompuServe and MSN.

NetBooster works with more than just modem connections as well. Whether you are connected via a DSL, cable modem, ISDN, or other LAN connection, NetBooster can maximize your performance. For example, while testing NetBooster on systems with DSL and cable-modem connections, we frequently witnessed an increase in download speeds of up to 300%. Non-Internet related LAN connections are also streamlined by using this tool.

Although System Mechanic's NetBooster has the ability to automatically set all of the configuration data to the optimum values for your particular connection and system, it also allows provides an easy way to manually view and edit these settings individually. Additionally, it provides tools such as a real-time graphical network/Internet analyzer, and a tool that allows you to test your relative download speed in order to give you accurate reports of your true performance so that you can tweak and adjust NetBooster's settings until you reach absolute efficiency. Sometimes, a certain set of configuration values will work well with a certain application (for example, an on-line game), and another set works better with another application (for example, downloading large files). For these types of situations, NetBooster makes it easy to switch back and forth between optimization sets by allowing you to save and load an unlimited number of configuration "profiles".

The only thing any of these has ever done for me is break local SMB network connectivity.

The claim that it boosts "network performance" by "200%" is ludicrous at best.

DAP (Download Accelerator Plus) splits the download and hence does single downloads quicker. Sites with bandwidth restrictions usually don't allow it's use.

It also has full resume support in case of disconnection, and some other useful options.

Get it at download.com

DAP = Dick Ass Penis

it's about as good as it gets on 56k, I'll have you know. Care to suggest anything better, bbg?

I used to use NetVampire, but since I got a cable modem, I've only used it to download Elbryan's toons.