Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
PhilibusMo

Texture Wad

I'm trying to make a WAD file on XWE (i wasn't sure whether this should go here or in the xwe forum. If u want to move it , feel free) All I currently want in this WAD file are some textures for use on walls that can be used in doombuilder. These textures are my own that I have made on photoshop in 8 bit colour and to the doom palette, they have then been saved as .bmp. What do I need to do to put them into the wad for them to work, i have them in as type 33 and for example one is named SWAN_1 01 there are nothing but patch files in there, do i need begining and end markers? I want to have it in a wad as after I shall be adding maps to it. Soryy if this is badly worded, my brain is in melt down.

SORRY, i have sinse worked out how to do this, i was just getting so frustrated with it at the time. But it wont let me delete it so could an admin delete the thread for me. thanks

There is nothing special about the lumps. When you import a bitmap into a wad with XWE, it will automatically convert it for you so that it's the correct bit depth, palette, and file format. Of course it always helps to have it in the correct palette beforehand, but it's not always necessary.

As far as Doom is concerned, the only requirement is that the graphic is replacing another graphic of equivalent dimensions and lump name that is already in the IWAD, or it's referenced in the PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lumps (otherwise it's setting there in the wad with no way to use it). I don't think lump markers are required for textures or other non-sprite, non-flat graphics.

You said you already have it working, but if you need further information on adding custom textures, do a forum search for "texture1 and pnames and patch". It should bring up some relevant results.

is there any way of adding completely new textures without having to overwrite an old one? As for this wad there are certain textures that I would want ot keep, but it is going to require allot of new textures too. If it makes any difference its Zdoom, doom in doom format.

There is - use XWE to save a copy of the PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lumps from an IWAD then load them into your texture wad. Load in your shiny new patches (if they're not already there) with their exclusive names, shift-select them and - from the right mouse-button menu - select Add to Patch Names then Add to Texture. Check the texture lump to make sure your new textures are there, they should appear at the bottom of the list. If you're creating multi-patch textures I'd suggest using WinTex despite it's age.

GreyGhost said:

There is - use XWE to save a copy of the PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lumps from an IWAD then load them into your texture wad. Load in your shiny new patches (if they're not already there) with their exclusive names, shift-select them and - from the right mouse-button menu - select Add to Patch Names then Add to Texture. Check the texture lump to make sure your new textures are there, they should appear at the bottom of the list. If you're creating multi-patch textures I'd suggest using WinTex despite it's age.

Actually you can skip over half those steps. Just insert your graphics, select them all and click "Add to Texture". It will automatically add the stock textures and create the patch names list for you.

GreyGhost said:

I'd suggest using WinTex despite it's age.

Seriously? It's pretty easy to make multi-patch textures in XWE.

This is probably my last question, how do you make an animated texture? all I want is two frames. And is it possible to make this animated texture a switch that changes to a new frame and sticks to it once it has been activated? thanks and sorry for all the questions, this is my first time making new textures.

Seeing as how your project is for Zdoom, you didn't even need to bother using the PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lump. Zdoom supports another format for textures. If you put your graphics between TX_START and TX_END markers, they can be used by Zdoom (and I'm pretty sure that DB reads that format (I don't use DB myself so I can't be totally sure).

http://zdoom.org/wiki/TX_START
http://zdoom.org/wiki/TX_END

Again, if your map is for Zdoom, then the following should help you with your animation:

http://zdoom.org/wiki/ANIMDEFS

Basically, for a 2 frame animation, you need to define something like this:

texture TEXNAME1
allowdecals
pic TEXNAME1 tics X
pic TEXNAME2 tics X
Where TEXNAME1 is the name of the first texture, TEXNAME2 is the name of the second texture and X is the duration in tics for how long you want the picture to stay before changing. 1 tic = 1/35 second. As a guide, I think the original Doom animations all had a duration of 8.

Put that code into a text file and insert it into your WAD as a lump called ANIMDEFS.

EarthQuake said:

Actually you can skip over half those steps.

Trust me to over-complicate a simple process - I'll file that away for future reference.

Creaphis said:

Seriously? It's pretty easy to make multi-patch textures in XWE.

Didn't discover until today - after some trial and error - that it's possible to create multi-patch textures in XWE. Heh - maybe I'm just a slow learner.