Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AveryMaurice

Blood Gulch Doom Recarnation (Re-Release)

Sorry about the double post, but some of you may recall my Blood Gulch Doom Remake, I took it down because I accidently included some Doom resources.

Okay, so the re-release is here!

Its meant for deathmatchs over SkullTag and ZDaemon, I played it with bots and it played quite nicely.

Get it here : http://maintargetstudios.webs.com/downloads.htm

Comments are apreciated, EXCEPT about the whole "slope" issue, because if I added them it would have looked like a stair hill.

Avery1555

I'd take all the lines and quintuple their sizes, so to stay true to the actual map, then tweak the cliffside paths into the map too :P The bases could also use some work. And the cave is kind of...flat?

Yeah, the entire map is about 3 times too small. Plus, you wouldn't have to make a stair hill with the slope functions. At least make the caves go higher, and make the bases more than a tiny nook. Its a good idea, but it all around needs improvement.

I just downloaded the re-release and found that like it's predecessor it's full of Doom resources - none of which are required by your map. To fix that problem - open up XWE, delete everything above Map01 and re-upload.

I thought this looked familiar. Good job on not improving it any since the last time you posted. My old opinion still applies:

EarthQuake said:

2. It's not a very faithful recreation in my opinion. The entire level is completely flat with no height variation. And if this by chance is for ZDaemon or Skulltag, why not use sloping hills to make the map more closely remember Blood Gulch. I've seen a few recreations of the original map, and this doesn't really compare. Not trying to kill your ambitions or appear mean (just blunt), but you've got a lot of work before this is faithful. Also, the scale seems to be a good bit smaller.

I've seen about 3 or 4 Blood Gulch recreations for Doom, and amongst those, I'd rate this a 3. And of all the Blood Gulch remakes I've seen for Doom, I would rate the best one a 5 (as compared to a standard-quality wad). So yeah, absorb the feedback you receive here and do something with it.

He uploaded a modified IWAD the first time. This version is exactly the same, but all the IWAD graphics are gone. He still didn't exactly get it right, heh. The original maps are still somewhat there (although unplayable), and there are leftover lump markers and PC speaker sounds.

GreyGhost said:

I just downloaded the re-release and found that like it's predecessor it's full of Doom resources - none of which are required by your map. To fix that problem - open up XWE, delete everything above Map01 and re-upload.

I did open it with XWE and it has no Doom resources, only Map01. No graphics, sounds or anything.

Okay, the clean version is posted on the site.

Btw, I spelt "Reincarnation" wrong, but anyways the definition is : "a second or new birth" (google define function) lol

Im making elevations changes and other changes to the map now.

Thanks for the tips.

If this is meant for Skulltag/ZDaemon, why not use the ZDoom slope things to make some height variation in the terrain? Even ZDaemon supports at least the basic slope line types, and I believe Skulltag supports the more robust vertex slope things, which can be used to create very convincing looking terrain with pretty minimal effort.

It really needs more height variation. Right now, it's flat as a pancake (with pretty much no cover in the middle) while the original had not only terrain height variation, but little areas on the side where the terrain went up into the cliffs a bit (if memory serves correctly).

EDIT: I see you just posted about the elevation changes. That's good, since it really needs it.