Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
_DaRk_ FR

dataDyne Deathmatch series

Hello people!
First I'd like to say hi to the entire forum since I'm new here. :)
Those two wads I'm releasing today are two duel maps I made a while ago. They use ZDoom features such as slopes and scaling.
Here are screenshots of the first map :

And there you have the Download Link

Then a few months later, given the pretty good feedbacks I had from this first attempt at making a deathmatch map, I decided to make another map, dataDyne II (aye the sequel if you prefer :P), there you go with screenshots :

And there you have the second donwload link.
Feel free to share anything you might like or not in the maps as I'm really eager to get better at mapping :)

PS : Feel free to let me know if I didn't respect a rule, because if so, it's accidental :P

Looks a little... what's the word? Cluttered? Crowded? You're using a lot of different textures in a variety of contrasting colours all in one space and they clash somewhat. Also I would advise using fewer doorstops, and go easy on the border-around-sector feature :)

Nevertheless you seem to have the right idea, so I think if you exercise a little moderation when detailing you will do fine :)

Yeah it does look kinda cluttered but I really like that look in some cases, and this is one of them. It's not to the point of looking amateurish imo. I really like it :D

It looks great, but.. Heres some concerns, but nothing harsh!

1. You said this a dataDyne Deathmatch. by hearing dataDyne, your referring back to Perfect Dark, mind implementing somewhere the logo of dataDyne?
2. Alittle cluttered.

Otherwise, still, it looks great and would be a choice when I get my new portable hard-drive (250gb, good for what I use.)

Unfortunately I don't get the chance to play deathmatch often (if at all) but I'd say it would make a decent set of maps. My main issue is the slight lack of height variation, and texture issues. A lot of the textures are detailed and innovative, and show that significant effort went into the map, but they look somewhat random or lacking in overall flow or design. Also the only parts I see with slopes are a few ceilings here and there - why not use it for floor ramps also (for example, instead of shallow steps)? Just a suggestion. Basically, I just think the textures could be reworked a little to simplify or clarify the color coordination, overall scheme and whatnot. Also, I'm not sure if you "flew" to take those screenshots or not, but the skyline looks too low (close to the player) and flat along the edges.

Other than that it looks pretty dandy..

BTW are those random dead bodies just there for decorative purposes, or were they actual monsters? I just noticed them, and they struck me as odd for some reason..Not that it really matters.

Thanks for the few feedbacks everyone ! :)
All right, I'll try to answer clearly :P

Ok according to you people and some duels I've had on my maps in the past, I can safely say that it's true I abused texture changing and put too many color variation, it makes the other player barely visible and doesn't help on concentrating to shoot at him :)
I'll refrain the textures changes then :)

As Mithral_Demon says, the map's name is inspired by the Perfect Dark's corporation, dataDyne. I used this name for two reasons :
1) I'm a huge Perfect Dark fanatic :)
2) I couldn't find anything else that sounded nice :P
I'll surely add a dataDyne logo on the maps :)

I'm pretty satisfied of the welcome that the maps received since I was more expectnig to be shot down :P
Thanks ! :D

_DaRk_ FR said:

I'm pretty satisfied of the welcome that the maps received since I was more expectnig to be shot down :P
Thanks ! :D

You got lucky, but you have to watch how you incorporate things, some people can destroy all the work you did in a split second.

An thanks, it'd be of good use if you make a logo of some building from a different game into Doom, it'd show the meaning of who and where it belongs.

I remember I played both your levels some time ago on ZDaemon with my friends! I like them. :) I had a lot of fun: they are surely well-made as for layout, health/ammo/weapon/armour placement and gameplay. As for graphics, I'll tell you that I didn't have all the problems the other Doomers had; on the contrary I like the colourful tech-ish theme and details never hinder players' movement. Good job! ;)