Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NightmareZer0

What do you do for a living?

So what does everyone here do for a living?

I work third shift at Wendy's in a truck stop. (My girlfriend's mom got me a job there. Oddly enough she's my boss..Sucks right?)

My job really isn't something to write home about but it will work for now. I was unemployed (With no stable 9-5 job I however did temp work here and there but nothing major) for about a year. So I'll take what I can get for the time being until I can find something that pays better. I make $7.50 an hour.

I'm something of a system administrator/lab technician for the University of Denver. I take care of some Linux servers, some computer labs, do C#/C/Common Lisp/PHP/Python programming, take care of classroom equipment, and do videoconferencing. Up until June of this year, I also used to do A/V setups and specialized in video streaming and live audio mixing. I've been here since 2002, when I started as a work study.

I also recently got hired to do some music work for a local video game company on the side.

Edit: Oh, and I'm a student as well working on my undergrad (still).

Had a job for almost 2 years. It was at a Sock factory. Got Fired when work got slow..Lets put it this way: it was a case of last one hired first one fired. Now I go to College. (Night Classes)

Creaphis said:

I go to school.

So do I.

Creaphis said:

I'm not sure why, but hey, beats workin'.

But when I'm there, I am working. ;)

Probationary Reserve Officer, for now. It pays barely more than minimum wage though.

I'm a contract web developer. I'm currently working at BI Worldwide. Contracts are nice on the one hand because they typically pay more than salaried jobs and since they're by the hour, no one wants me to stay late for shit. On other hand, I miss out on benefits. But considering most companies are chickening out on providing proper health benefits by setting up HSA accounts, I don't think the loss is too great.

EDIT: In fact, it's not even a loss at all, even if the employer matches contributions with a shitty salary like I've experienced.

DOUBLE EDIT: Removed my contract company's name since I've made some wacky posts on the board.

I used to work at Toys R' Us, but I quit recently since I absolutely hated that job. Besides that, I attend college as a visual arts major.

Student/In-between Jobs. I'm only going to school because I'm having difficulty finding a decent job, really. I will admit though I have written more unpublishable tripe in the last month or so than I have in years. Still, I'd be happy to have a steady 9-5 job.

Maes said:

Probationary Reserve Officer, for now. It pays barely more than minimum wage though.

I don't know what the hell that means (you're still in the army or have you finished it and now are unemployed?), but why wasn't mandatory army removed in your country?!

As for myself, I'm only a college student. I don't have time for a full- or part-time job, because I'd have to skip lessons, and I don't wanna do it for whatever shitty job I might get for now.

printz said:

I don't know what the hell that means (you're still in the army or have you finished it and now are unemployed?), but why wasn't mandatory army removed in your country?!

Still in the army, I will finish my tour in 4 months approximately.

No, army service was never abolished. Upon conscription however, if you meet certain criteria (physical, academical) you can apply for reserve officer training instead of staying a simple grunt.

More or less like a "conscript officer" of sorts, but with many privileges over conscript soldiers. You do serve 5 extra months, but you can live in your own condo, you have officer duties and responsibilities, work only office hours and receive a monthly pay, which is roughly equal to minimum wage in Greece (ca. 700 Eur). Still, that's almost a hundredfold of what a conscript soldier receives (9.8 Eur/month)!

As a rank...you are called a "Probationary Reserve Officer" (P.R.O.) or "Dokimos", NATO rank OF-D (Officer designate) and you are considered of equal rank with a Warrant Officer. During the last month of duty you are promoted Reserve 2nd Lieutenant. Hope I covered this for you.

School right now for Chem. Dep. counseling certificate.

However, I'm hoping to build up a photography portfolio to become a conflict photographer.

BTW, FUCK SAMMY CARLSON SEAN PETTIT AND TANNER HALL FOR POPPING OUT OF NOWHERE WHILE I'M TYPING A POST.

Student, work for my university's English as a Second Language department. Admin computer labs and have a state van license, take our students on field trips.

Calibration Technician.

Customers build parts, or some form of equipment, and we have people instrument them with gages and other electronics, and our job is to run the parts the way a customer would, in tension, compression, or torque. Most jobs you look at the readouts, and record. Some actually involve adjustments to make them run the way a customer wants.
I tend to be slower than the others, but my end results are a lot more accurate. In most cases, half-tollerance, and by General Standards. (Being anal.)

Subway Sandwich Artist
High School Student

I plan to start either a powerviolence band, or a crack rock steady band. I'm trying to decide which I like more. Going to try and figure out which stocks would be best to invest in (at the moment, none.) I'm also considering writing up a bunch of jokes to perform comedy stand-up too. I still got a long way to go but it's just some side-jobs that I'd love to do for a living.

I'm a lifeguard currently. Best part time job ever.

I was working to be an electrician for a while but work start really slowing down so I decided to go back to school.

I am also a student. I recently completed my first college semester, and am now currently attending a wintermester course. However, I would like to get a job soon :/.

Butts said:

Student.

Here, it sounds like some people really don't like their jobs.

For a while mine was sucking, but it wasn't due to the work itself. The hours used to sort of suck for me. But now I love my job.