Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SuperSlammer2

Favorite cartoons?

What are your favorite cartoons? I'm sure we all watched them at one point in our lives.

I really love Butt-Ugly Martians. I wish it wasnt canceled but I guess thats what happens when you have a show that's just too good. i also really liked Mega babies, even though it was kinda gross, lol

Good god you have awful taste.

As a some time voice actor/animator I have a deep admiration for cartoons as a device to tell a story. I tend to favor traditional animation in all situations; as I haven't really been too impressed by any 3D animated features to be released.

My list probably goes a bit like this-

Batman: The Animated Series - Easily the best superhero cartoon to come out of the 90s, Bruce Timm's art direction along with dark storytelling and willing to break conventions (showing real guns, blood, violence) gave the show real weight.

Ren & Stimpy - One of the very last cartoons to use completely traditional methods; coupled with the production music soundtrack (Raymond Scott) the show got it's own feel. Expertly animated in low-budget style by Kricfalusi.

Rocko's Modern Life - Well animated, well voiced, very weirdly funny and unique, another favorite.

Spongebob - Despite new seasons sucking, the first several seasons of Spongebob were definitely the savior of traditional animation; lovable and maturely funny at the same time, genuinely great.

The last several years have seen the slow murder of traditional animation at the hands of poor writers and even worse animators, right now my best bet for what could save it would be The Misadventures of Flapjack, just because of the level of craftsmanship.

My fave cartoon would have to be Reboot.

sidenote:
That damn popup kept preventing me from writing this message. >:(

As humans of every age have considered the art of their generation as magnificent compared to the work of the next, I've been unsure whether my opinion that modern cartoons are fucking god-awful is an objective truth or just my opinion. I feel that quality has dropped by extreme amounts, but then again, I used to think that Dragonball Z was good, so my memories are not credible. There are a few cartoons out there that I still like, but there are far too many with art that is flat, inflexible and crude, and with writing that causes me physical pain. I won't criticize all non-traditional cartoon art, and sometimes simple styles are nice. The style in Butch Hartman's shows was cool at first. Now, however, it's being recycled by countless imitators who are just using it to cut costs, imitators who demonstrate that same commitment to the absence of quality in their writing, music and voice acting. I don't like this.

What do I like? Cartoons that kids love and are also enjoyable for adults. A cartoon doesn't need to be full of hidden raunchy jokes to accomplish this - just give your audience quality work, and respect your viewers' intelligence no matter how old they are. Kids are smarter than you think. The first show that comes to my mind as one that obeys this principle is the Looney Tunes, still a favourite cartoon of mine. Another is Batman: The Animated Series as already mentioned, as it actually had some complexity in the characters and plots and a great art direction. Current Justice League shows suffer severely from escalation: when there are a thousand superheroes, why should I care about any one of them? I still enjoy Samurai Jack as well, with its unique art and pacing.

For more adult cartoons, I like the little Ren and Stimpy that I've seen, the first ten seasons of the Simpsons, and the first two of Family Guy (both shows have since stopped telling stories). I also get a kick out of South Park's formula.

Edit: Oh yeah, Reboot! Shame it got canned.

I like Invader Zim, Ren & Stimpy, Beavis & Butt-head, Spongebob, and various shows on the Disney Channel.

Having a daughter gives me a legitimate reason to watch cartoons. :D

"The Boondocks" has kinda grabbed me recently. Beautifully animated. Quirky and genuinely funny, and occasionally profound. Just how I like my cartoons.

Invader Zim was pretty cool.

Other than that, I'll just trundle out the usual suspects. The Simpsons (except for more recent stuff), Southpark, Futurama, The Family Guy, blah blah etc etc blah blah blah.

I used to love Ren and Stimpy, but I watched some just recently, and I found it kinda depressing, to tell the truth.

Never heard of Reboot. Might have to give it a look.

Kyka said:

I used to love Ren and Stimpy, but I watched some just recently, and I found it kinda depressing, to tell the truth.

You must have seen some of the Games episodes. God they were bad.

Futurama, some older Simpsons, Beavis and Butt-Head, Batman: The Animated Series (have not seen it in a long time however), Animaniacs (Watching that as a kid and an adult are two totally different things. That show had some slick writers). Also some anime here and there isn't bad, I particularly liked Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Excel Saga.

Oh, and if I can count computer animated stuff, Wall-E. :P

Kyka said:

Heh, same story here. I thought it was entertaining as a kid, and then I saw it again when I got older and hated it. The whole show is nothing but "hey look gross stuff happy happy joy joy lolz" retardedness. I cannot stand that show for more than a minute now.

Futurama
The Simpsons
The Ripping Friends
Samurai Pizza Cats
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
King of the Hill
Cowboy Bebop
Reboot
Rocko's Modern Life
Family Guy
Beast Wars
Aeon Flux
Batman: The Animated Series
Dexter's Laboratory
Dave the Barbarian
Samurai Jack

Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles <-- I had to search for the name. I only saw a few episodes and liked it. Would like to see the whole thing eventually.

These days I like Futurama, Invader Zim, The Venture Bros., Sealab 2021 and King of the Hill. Back when I was a kid, there was a lot more...Ren and Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, Inspector Gadget, David the Gnome, Count Duckula, Danger Mouse, and some others.

SuperSlammer2 said:

I really love Butt-Ugly Martians.

Heh. I was just talking with somebody recently about how I thought that was the most moronic concept for a show I have ever seen. The title speaks for itself, really.

As for what I like:
Metalocalypse
Futurama
Ren and Stimpy
Death Note
Rocko's Modern Life
FLCL
The Simpsons
And many of those other shows mentioned countless times in this thread...

Absolutely can not stand Family Guy, though.

King of the Hill (mostly the episodes before Lucky shows up)
Rocko's Modern Life
Futurama
Harvey Birdman

and I guess if you want to include anime as well:

Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Paranoia Agent

Tom & Jerry >> all. (couldn't beat that back in the day imo)

Other classic stuff like Roadrunner, Bugs Bunny etc. I loved too when I was younger, along with the 80's stuff like He-Man, Ghostbusters, TMHT, Inspector Gadget etc.

Of more modern stuff I only really liked South Park. The Simpsons was ok but I never really bothered with it for some reason.

Hmn...

I like quite alot, I think you guys missed out some of those... Ancient ones:

~~Ancient~~
Sonic - Yes, where Sonic went up against Dr. Robotnik.
Mario Brothers- Slightly based on Super Mario Bros 3.
--Modern-ish--
Tom and Jerry
Batman
Dexter's Laboratory
Poke'mon (Ok, first season, big woop)
Johnny Quest
Birdman
Fantastic 4
X-Men
Spider Man
Digimon (Sorry, being young, I couldn't help)
Looney Toons
Yogi Bear

All I can think, and as said, lots.

South Park
The Simpsons (though newer seasons are disappointing)
Ren and Stimpy
Rocko's Modern Life
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
SpongeBob Squarepants
Batman
Tom and Jerry
Animaniacs

There were a lot of cartoons that I watched as a kid that really don't stick out in my mind so much and so won't make this list.

Older favourites-

Warner's A-list - Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Roadrunner & etc.
Tom and Jerry
Mr Magoo
The Flintstones
Johnny Quest
Prince Planet (Usei Shonen Papi)
Astro Boy
Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman)

Newer favourites-

Simpsons
Pinky and the Brain
Duckman
Harvey Birdman
Reboot
Family Guy
Happy Tree Friends
Drawn Together
Cowboy Bebop

My favorite as a kid was classic TMNT. Lots of fun watching that show. The Transformers (origional and beast wars) was also good too. Some nick toons were great too like, Rockos Modern Life, Ren and Stimpy, and hell I even liked the Rugrats at one point.

The more recent cartoons that I like are South Park, Family Guy, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Sealab 2021, and Metalocalypse. Thing is I don't know if sealab is on anymore or if they keep bringing it back on and off adult swim.

Futurama, Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, King of the Hill, Beavis and Butthead, Ren & Stimpy, Earthworm Jim (don't think anyone's mentioned that one yet), X-Men, Batman, Spiderman, Iron Man, Reboot (apparently I look like Enzo, heh), Animaniacs, Taz-mania, Angry Beavers, Rocko's Modern Life, Twisted Tales of Felix, Beetlejuice, The Tick, Ninja Turtles, Ghostbusters, Stressed Eric, Bob and Margaret, probably more as well.

Need to watch more Spongebob, heh.

TV Series:

Dungeons & Dragons
Ghostbusters (not the franchise, Filmation)
Bravestar
Classic TMNT
Spawn
Beavis & Butt-head
Super Mario Bros. Super Show!
Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic SatAM
Reboot
Dragon Ball Z
Samurai Pizza Cats
Samurai Jack
Metalocalypse
Looney Toons (not the edited crap though, Jungle Jitters stuff, or nothing)
Visions of Escaflowne
Gundam Wing
Trigun
Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Wars
The Simpsons (sometimes)
Aqua Teen Hunger Force (sometimes)
South Park (sometimes)

Movies:

Anything by Don Bluth
Aladdin
Watership Down
Toy Story
Final Fantasy: Advent Children
Animatrix
Afro Samurai
Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie
Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem
Ninja Scroll
AKIRA
Ghost in the Shell
Wizards
Batman: Gotham Knight
Dumbo
The Three Caballeros
The Incredibles
Nightmare Before Christmas
FernGully: The Last Rainforest
An American Tail
An American Tail: Fievel Goes West
Hercules

...Probably dozens of others locked deep in my memory.