Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cupboard

The History of Fruit - A Heretic Episode

Touch my link.

The above link will give you the download to a wad that Worst and I made and released last July but have since revised and uploaded to the idgames archive. Have fun with this Heretic wad and view the too many screenshots below! We're always open to any comments/suggestions you have about the wad. By the way: you're going to need something ZDoom flavored to play this episode. And eh - don't do any jumping or crouching because it's just not what this wad had in my mind.

STORY - IN AN EPIC TURN OF EVENTS, the Overlords of Fruit have rallied their unequaled forces of ferocity and badness and meanness and have STRUCK BACK. It's up to the heretics to fight them back to the last bastion in THE HISTORY OF FRUIT.

E1M1: Pooping Pear

E1M2: Satanic Sour Apples

E1M2: Satanic Sour Apples

E1M3: Lick the Mango

E1M5: Cherry Fuzz

E1M6: Blazing Bananas

E1M6: Blazing Bananas

I'm sending imageshack a lump of fucking coal for christmas. Piece of crap.

From what I can see in the thumbnails, looks nice.

Awesome work. This raises the bar for Heretic .wads.

I want to see what Heretic could be like if it ever gets taken as far as Doom has (like Action Doom (1 & 2), Torment & Torture, etc.) Hexen too. ;]

Mivalekan said:

I want to see what Heretic could be like if it ever gets taken as far as Doom has (like Action Doom (1 & 2), Torment & Torture, etc.) Hexen too. ;]

Check out Maelstrom's Element Storm wad on the ZDoom or Skulltag forums :) you have to sign up to beta test tho, it's not released yet

Thanks for the responses, folks.

Esselfortium and RottKing's textures were really the icing on the cake here. I don't think I've ever had so much fun working with a texture pack like this one. There's a lot of great material in there (great recolors of old stuff and plenty of new textures/flats) as well. It is really easy to detail rooms because of the bright colors and great selection.

Definitely a good mapset, although a bit on the easy side. Except for the secret map. Reminded me lots of Hordes of Chaos. Still managed to beat it w/o dying from a wand start.

Edit: Having the player fight ghosts in almost pitch darkness while they don't even have a decent weapon is annoying as fuck.

Heh!

I hadn't played heretic in years, even though I loved the game. And looking at this was just the spark needed to convince me to dust it off and have a good play.

I'm gonna bruise me some fruit.

*downloads with anticipation.

Mivalekan said:

I wouldn't count on that happening. The reason why is that Doom used to have a 'style' at the time it first came out, but because map making was so big, doom evolved into not having it's own particular theme, branching off into doom maps of just about everything imaginable. Heretic kinda has a closed theme. It's medieval castles and caves only. If it's anything else, it doesn't look like heretic. a Heretic UTNT equivalent is possible, but I doubt something like Action Doom will ever happen to Heretic.

If there is one thing I'd like to see, is a Doom64 equivalent to Heretic. Brand new textures, Colored lighting, redone sprites, redone sounds, and an ominous spooky setting. Then again, I doubt I can count on something like that anytime soon either.

If you’re going to make a Doom engine based mod that is completely different from any of the original games (i.e your not going to use, or barely use, any of the original games resources), I'd imagine that, usually, the big thing when deciding which game to build it on is how many people own each game.

And it seems that Doom is owned by more people than Heretic. Otherwise we would have "Hereticworld" and "NewHeretic", or something like that anyway.

Vermil said:

Very sensible stuff

Agreed.

Somehow "Chocolate Heretic" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

All right, I appreciate the feedback. Thanks for bringing your thoughts about the wad's difficulty to the table, udderdude. I like to have plenty of opinions to take into consideration when I'm working on my projects.

There are never enough quality Heretic mapsets. Good thing that it's not a jokewad despite the silly name.

It was pretty cool, but the stupid "history of fruit" signs did an excellent job at destroying the atmosphere.

I ran through this once in singleplayer and last night in coop with a couple of buddies and here are my pretty brief thoughts: M4 isn't fun at all. The ending is a real disappointment to me. (All the fights get harder and it begins building up... to a really lame and completely random exit switch. Also D'Sparil wtf) And it would be really nice if all of the exits were marked as such.

Solid mapset otherwise, I enjoyed it both online and off for the most part.

Nice, thanks for those suggestions. Heh, yes those banners that boris mentioned do seem out of place for a single player wad. Since this originally was a wad designed for ZDaemon cooperative mode (which is a not very serious affair) I put them in to inject a silly element. But eh - I understand how it's not to everyone's taste. Banners like that usually appear only in DM wads and such.

MasterOFDeath, thanks for the ideas. It's a bad habit of mine to not mark my exits. Heretic traditionally used the blue trident switch and gray metal theme to signify an exit switch but I forgot to do things like that. :P

I think the D'Sparil fight could use a bit of explanation since it is rather unorthodox, so I'll quote Worst-vd-Plas from a different forum:

There's no real D'Sparil fight in e1m8 as the real fight was/is supposed to come later on. D'Sparil was just taking a visit :P

Sequel...? Who knows? All I can say is that I'm working on e2m1 right now. :)

I've finally finished playing through this funky WAD tonight.

My favourite map in this set was Cherry Fuzz because it allowed me to snipe up at the Maulotaur from a safe low ground.
And also because it was quite convenient for me to set up a crossfire there to eliminate the Iron Liches.
And last but not least, because the cherry has always been my favourite fruit all my life. :)

MasterOFDeath said:

Also D'Sparil wtf)

On the contrary, I felt extremely overjoyed that he was confined to his throne.
Because I still remember how I broke my dad's trackball mouse when battling the real original D'Sparil inside Raven's original arena.
That was a nightmare worse than the Icon Of Sin.

TheCupboard said:

There's still plenty of different fruits left for tagging map names.
And I'd gleefully chase after the fleeing cowardly D'Sparil because watching him act as a coward is tremendous fun for me. MWOOOOHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Needs moar Heretic.

DarkJedi188 said:

There's still plenty of different fruits left for tagging map names.

Papaya Palpitations.

TheCupboard said:

Needs moar Heretic mappage.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Needs moar Heretic mappage.

Can't say it louder.

udderdude said:
Definitely a good mapset, although a bit on the easy side. Except for the secret map. Reminded me lots of Hordes of Chaos. Still managed to beat it w/o dying from a wand start.

Do you mean "wand start at the beginning of each map" ? I find the 3-4 last maps a lot more on the hard side than the firsts with wand starts. I think a pretty good job has been done on difficulty progression on that matter.

Shit. Almost missed this entirely. That's what happens when you're out of town and shit.. Good thing it was bumped.

Edit: Pretty good. Two things though, the textures from that resource pack by Essel and Rottking are still not good. And please refrain from using the exit level switch texture for anything other than exit level switches.