Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
RestlessRodent

ReMooD 0.7c Released

A new version of ReMooD has been released. From the last released version, there have been new features and common features that have been added. ReMooD now supports DOOMWADDIR, DOOMWADPATH and Odamex style -waddir; music under Windows; Windows launcher; Boom-style keys in the status bar (skull and key icon); and more. Also, multiple bugs have been fixed. These bugs include performance issues, incompatibilities with certain levels, slow turning speed when playing split-screen and more. For a complete list of changes, please see the changelog. Downloads are available at the Download Page.

I just wanted to say thanks for this, I'd never heard of ReMooD before. It's awesome that you provide Ubuntu packages, it's so nice to just have a good modern Doom port that "just works".

If I may make a couple of suggestions:
- A man page outlining commandline options and environment variables, or at least put them in the readme? There's no instructions I could find for now to run anything except DOOM2.WAD
- An "always run" option would be handy too

Is there OpenGL support, like there was in Legacy?

Well then, let's see

-The setup for the launcher is a bit confusing. And i just wanted to test out an old legacy specific wad in this port, so i skipped a few things. Whoops! once the launcher is set up, it's SET UP. As it can't find the .exe it's now just a paperweight. NO i am not going to go into the registry or hunt up some obscure .cfg file to 'reset' it. There should be a .cfg file in the dir or else the ability to 'go back' into the launcher's setup screen again. Legacy had both of these things.

-The port ALWAYS launches in a tiny window. The music and sound plays too fast

-When you set the resolution higher the music and sound plays too slow. Sometimes one "note" of the music freezes in ear-torturing fashion

-Setting it to full screen never seems to look right. I suppose you have to "get lucky" and choose the exact resolution of your monitor. NO i don't know what i'm using off the top of my head, actually. Oddly, in full screen, setting it to a 'low' resolution makes it looked 'zoomed in'

-Keys held down in the menu don't repeat. I'm not going to decrease the splats count down to the bottom and "around" to the top by 513 individual key-presses

-One of the menus, the one with the blood time in it, doesn't appear to work at all

-You can't just start a new game by pummeling enter. After choosing "new game" there is THREE menus to go through. One of them requires you to press an arrow key before pressing enter again. YES i do actually find that specifically annoying. Most if not all other ports support the quick starting of a new game by pummeling enter, why can't yours?

-Dehacked patches put inside wads (in a lump named DEHACKED, FYI) don't work. I mean WHAT THE FUCK.

Now, for the full Legacy experience the devs need to ignore or casually dismiss these comments. Then get one of thier friends to come along and tell me that i'm wrong an the port is perfect. And/or that there's good reason for all my complaints, and those reasons are listed in comments in the source code, and if i'm not a programmer and didn't bother to download/look at the source then i can't criticise anyway. And then never update it.

deathbringer said:
-The port ALWAYS launches in a tiny window.

The FAQ on the website states you need to press D to save the selected resolution as Default.

deathbringer said:

Now, for the full Legacy experience the devs need to ignore or casually dismiss these comments. Then get one of thier friends to come along and tell me that i'm wrong an the port is perfect. And/or that there's good reason for all my complaints, and those reasons are listed in comments in the source code, and if i'm not a programmer and didn't bother to download/look at the source then i can't criticise anyway. And then never update it.

I'm not a member of the team, but I can tell you that with that kind of attitude, you probably won't be getting a positive response from anybody. As a programmer, I can tell you that this kind of unnecessary tirade just pisses me off. We do the stuff we do so that you people don't have to go to college and learn programming to do it yourself :P

I'm not saying you should "shut up and put up," just that you could at least try to be constructive about criticism and bug reports.

From what I've read, it seems the vast majority of people in the Doom community would rather hurl abuse and nastily point out shortcomings because someone didn't get it exactly perfect first go, rather than thank people for their massive coding efforts and offer constructive criticism or assistance.

Which is why I've had an account for like 10 months and never bothered posting until now.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Quasar said:

I'm not a member of the team, but I can tell you that with that kind of attitude, you probably won't be getting a positive response from anybody. As a programmer, I can tell you that this kind of unnecessary tirade just pisses me off.

Take it easy, that last paragraph was only joking (well that's how I read it).

Glad to see this still being developed!

One thing that's probably noticed already is that the midi's kinda buggy with this slow Athlon 1800+ on this old machine. I've yet to test it on a faster machine though. Good work! I'll test the joystick functionality (seems to be implemented) tomorrow).

BlackFish said:

One thing that's probably noticed already is that the midi's kinda buggy with this slow Athlon 1800+ on this old machine. I've yet to test it on a faster machine though. Good work! I'll test the joystick functionality (seems to be implemented) tomorrow).

Joysticks are not implemented yet, but I am getting there. The Music is also experimental.

deathbringer said:

Well then, let's see

-The setup for the launcher is a bit confusing. And i just wanted to test out an old legacy specific wad in this port, so i skipped a few things. Whoops! once the launcher is set up, it's SET UP. As it can't find the .exe it's now just a paperweight. NO i am not going to go into the registry or hunt up some obscure .cfg file to 'reset' it. There should be a .cfg file in the dir or else the ability to 'go back' into the launcher's setup screen again. Legacy had both of these things.

The configuration file is not in the registry. For now, you will have to delete your configuration to set it up or modify it. It is located in either the current working directory (where ReMooD is or where you launched it from) or in your user folders (ex: C:\Users\Steven\ReMooD, C:\Documents and Settings\ReMooD).

deathbringer said:

-The port ALWAYS launches in a tiny window. The music and sound plays too fast

You need to press D once you change the resolution

deathbringer said:

-When you set the resolution higher the music and sound plays too slow. Sometimes one "note" of the music freezes in ear-torturing fashion

Music and sound are multi-threaded. On some resolutions, there will be more CPU Usage. If the game is taking up all your processor power then the music and sound code won't have time to execute. Also, if the music sticks you can press Pause then unpause the game.

deathbringer said:

-Setting it to full screen never seems to look right. I suppose you have to "get lucky" and choose the exact resolution of your monitor. NO i don't know what i'm using off the top of my head, actually. Oddly, in full screen, setting it to a 'low' resolution makes it looked 'zoomed in'

The same FOV is used regardless of the resolution (unlike in some other ports, I think ZDoom or Doom95 does it).

deathbringer said:

-Keys held down in the menu don't repeat. I'm not going to decrease the splats count down to the bottom and "around" to the top by 513 individual key-presses

I'll add this.

deathbringer said:

-One of the menus, the one with the blood time in it, doesn't appear to work at all

It only affects newly created blood, the blood time is the amount of time those blood droplets last when you shoot something.

deathbringer said:

-You can't just start a new game by pummeling enter. After choosing "new game" there is THREE menus to go through. One of them requires you to press an arrow key before pressing enter again. YES i do actually find that specifically annoying. Most if not all other ports support the quick starting of a new game by pummeling enter, why can't yours?

Someone complained about this in 0.7b so it was changed in 0.7c. You can jab enter to start a new game. Also remember that the positions of the cursor are saved, so if you were in the menu before and left, when you return the cursor will be where you left it.

deathbringer said:

-Dehacked patches put inside wads (in a lump named DEHACKED, FYI) don't work. I mean WHAT THE FUCK.

I'll check out this problem.

deathbringer said:

Perfection is in the eye of the beholder.

I tried the last version and had a bunch of problems with it. I tried this version and my experience was similar to the last time and very similar to deathbringer's. In addition, I accidentally bound an action to double left mouse click and couldn't figure out how to remove that binding. The fact that I made the mistake in the first place was also due to what I saw as a slightly unfriendly way of doing things at the config menu.

So, yeah, my experience of Remood, I'm afraid, isn't a particularly positive one. It was awkward to set up before running it, clunky to start a game and configure once I had got it running and not very satisfying or playable once I had actually started a game. A bit of a shame really because it would be nice to have a good, stable Legacy derivative port but this isn't it - yet. Unfortunately, ATM, this does seem to be perpetuating much of what was bad about Legacy. :(

I'm not a member of the team, but I can tell you that with that kind of attitude, you probably won't be getting a positive response from anybody. As a programmer, I can tell you that this kind of unnecessary tirade just pisses me off. We do the stuff we do so that you people don't have to go to college and learn programming to do it yourself :P

As a non-programmer (beyond using BASIC to quickly make big lists of links for a wiki i'm working on anyway. Oh and once trying to use Darkbasic... the horror, the horror.) i get pissed off with the attitude some programmers (like friends of the old Legacy team) have that "if you can't program something better you can't criticise". I mean it's like the author of Twilight saying "if you haven't written a book you can't criticise". Well i can, and Twilight is a pile of shit.

I admit after bad experiences with the aforementioned fans of Legacy (it was something to with Skyboxes being removed - first they denied skyboxes had ever existed, and then when i dug up an old forum post that they had posted on talking about them, they told me that the reason why skyboxes had been removed was "in the source". I mean is it that had to write another line or two in the changelog?) i might have been a bit defensive.

You need to press D once you change the resolution

That didn't seem to work. But then again it crashed shortly afterwards, maybe it has to "close properly" for the default to be saved?

It only affects newly created blood, the blood time is the amount of time those blood droplets last when you shoot something.

I meant pressing left and right, or enter then left and right, had no effect on the number, it just couldn't be changed. Maybe that was because it was preparing to crash? (though i did run around a bit more before it actually did)

My experience with this port:

* Source code is a tarbomb. Hate.
* Every file is mode 755 for no reason.
* Compiling it is.... actually this was a straight-forward "make" with no messing with autotools or CMake or SCons or whatever. Excellent.
* A confusing start-up with tons of options puked everywhere for no reason (see deathbringer's "New Game" experience). the mouse options alone had a billion options and I had to try them many times to figure out how to disable vertical movement.
* It can't even get past MAP01 of doom2.wad.

deathbringer said:

I get pissed off with the attitude some programmers (like friends of the old Legacy team) have that "if you can't program something better you can't criticise".

Well I would never say that - you can criticize. I only took umbrage with the tone of the post being so negative. Criticism - or advice - is usually appreciated when done properly.

What I meant by my own comment was that coding this stuff's not easy, mistakes can be made, and sometimes it's difficult to see what other people will consider large problems with the usability of your product (see Eternity's menu system progression for such user/programmer feedback going on).

Sign in to follow this