Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LexiMax

Doom 2 is 99 cents

Schneelocke said:

Sorry!

An error was encountered while processing your request:

This item is currently unavailable in your region

All of id's games are blocked in Germany. You will need a proxy to access them.

This kiss-ass censorship attitude is another reason why I will never *EVER* buy anything off Steam or buy a game that requires Steam. Trouble is inevitable.

Graf Zahl said:

All of id's games are blocked in Germany. You will need a proxy to access them.

Actually you can buy Doom 3. At least it shows up on the search. No ROE though.

Graf Zahl said:

This kiss-ass censorship attitude is another reason why I will never *EVER* buy anything off Steam or buy a game that requires Steam. Trouble is inevitable.

It's either that or get into some serious legal trouble from the state. I think it just means you should be complaining to your government rather than Valve for abiding by German law.

Valve are just scared morons. They even censor stuff they don't need to.

Still, if you ask me, I'd throw any politician responsible for these laws in jail if I could. It's really unbelievable how many fascists even exist in left-wing parties... :(

My guess is that Graf is right. The German government most likely banned Wolfenstein and Return to Castle Wolfenstein for their references to Nazi Germany. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly certain that all Nazi related material there is banned.

Valve just took this one step further and thought that since there's a secret Wolfenstein level in Doom that it too needed to be banned. I dunno, I'm just thinking out loud.

I *believe* that in Germany levels 31 and 32 were removed from the game.

Was the exe also altered, or was there, perhaps, merely a bit of map editing to remove the secret exit from map15?

From g_game.c:

// Here's for the german edition.
void G_SecretExitLevel (void) 
{ 
    // IF NO WOLF3D LEVELS, NO SECRET EXIT!
    if ( (gamemode == commercial)
      && (W_CheckNumForName("map31")<0))
	secretexit = false;
    else
	secretexit = true; 
    gameaction = ga_completed; 
} 

void G_DoCompleted (void) 

So, if I read that right, they put in a check and if map31 was not there, an altered map15 was not needed because the secret exit switch either did nothing or possibly just ended the level normally?

Enjay said:

So, if I read that right, they put in a check and if map31 was not there, an altered map15 was not needed because the secret exit switch either did nothing or possibly just ended the level normally?

Yep, the secret exit of Map15 becomes just an alternative normal exit. And I guess if you have a MAP31 in a PWAD in the German version, then that secret exit would lead you there... You could have a problem if that level has a secret exit of its own but there are no MAP32...

Yep, thats why i have a legal copy of Doom2 and use an IWAD from "somewhere else".

The main problem is that some people are nutjobs over here.
Its ok to show a Swatsiska(sp?) in a movie, but if its in a game or other media the tree is burning.

For example, in RTCW you are battleing some sort of terrorists(!) in the German version.
CnC used androids, even in Red Alert. (Jup, human like androids in ~1940)
Some games use green blood, some others (Fallout!) even crippeld the storyline for the German version!

So, the only solution for us Krauts is to buy the original crippeld version and download the non-crippeld version somewhere else, sad but true.

Bastet Furry said:

Yep, thats why i have a legal copy of Doom2 and use an IWAD from "somewhere else".

Its ok to show a Swatsiska(sp?) in a movie, but if its in a game or other media the tree is burning.

For example, in RTCW you are battleing some sort of terrorists(!) in the German version.
CnC used androids, even in Red Alert. (Jup, human like androids in ~1940)
Some games use green blood, some others (Fallout!) even crippeld the storyline for the German version!

So, the only solution for us Krauts is to buy the original crippeld version and download the non-crippeld version somewhere else, sad but true.

If there is any reason to justify piracy, this here is it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the politicians would attempt to ban their own language for it being "used by the nazis" and replace it with Esperanto or something. Hell, even Sweden tried to ban certain languages being taught in schools, what's stopping the others?

Bastet Furry said:

I can see where they're coming from, though. I grew up thinking that Germans and Nazis were equivalent because whenever I had heard about them as a kid it was either related to the war (from toys or movies) or to the Nazis escaping Germany into my country, the US, or wherever. Only later did I notice you guys were actually human beings too :p

Using other characters like typical "terrorists" also generates stereotypes that may offend certain people. Fighting groups are often grouped together with evident terrorists, for example, just because they come from certain cultural backgrounds or have a certain appearance.

@Csonicgo:
I wouldn't be surprised either.

The French or Spain would go (and have gone, IIRC) on a rampage, but we just sit there and do nothing or even just say "Yes! Do it!".

@myk:
And as i have seen often enough that not all Americans are fat or warmongers. So much for stereotypes ;)

(As long as nobody thinks i sit in front of my computer wearing lederhosen... *g*)