Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Belial

Plutonia 2 bugs ?

I've played map20 again and it was better than my first impression of it was, but there seems to be a bug that prevents the last 4 PEs on the right (things 758 759 764 765) from teleporting. The teleport line is set to block monsters.

Map27 has the same problem, some monsters don't teleport because there's no destination sector tagged 42 and other teleporters don't open because there's no linedef tagged 10.

Posting it here since it's relevant to the current topic.

Hi people,

Since some bugs has been found, we decided to make some re-release of pl2 with all the mistakes possibly fixed. So please, if you find something critical, write it into this topic, thank you! :-)

Anyway here are the bugs that we already know about:
General: Method is not mentioned in txt among the authors (but he faces up to it very bravely :)

- in-wad dehacked and mapinfo name is wrong, should be skull island
- separate .DEH is fine

- my small mistake near Yellow Key, the SW1Lion switch should work on both sides
to make the UV speed route more comfortable but i forgot to rotate the copied sector by 180 degrees so the working switch is on the opposite side that it's meant to be

- in-wad dehacked and mapinfo name is wrong, should be skull island

- Belial: there seems to be a bug that prevents the last 4 PEs on the right (things 758 759 764 765) from teleporting. The teleport line is set to block monsters.

- Belial: Map27 has the same problem, some monsters don't teleport because there's no destination sector tagged 42 and other teleporters don't open because there's no linedef tagged 10.

- Belial: There were a couple of misaligned textures throughout the wad, a particularly nasty one was a pair of switches in map28 (linedefs 2601 and 2693).
(isn't this a mistake of the latest resource changes? Eternal is always very precise with texture alignment)

- one texture blunder (there's BRICK7 instead of TVBLOOD1 on one place)
- player can stuck if he falls down from the ledge on right side in GRAY church on South-West. Caused by badly connected sectors.
(infact I have fixed both those mistakes once, but then got some troubles with zennode, and due to my bad organization of the map versions these 2 bugs appears in latest version again :-/)

MAP03 -
- Sector 463 is two map units above the surrounding floor (sector 462) for no apparent reason. The sides of the sector are untextured, resulting in small HOMs.

Also, for 17, I think you mean "should be Nuclear Horror".

The Green Herring said:

Also, for 17, I think you mean "should be Nuclear Horror".

Hehe yes, silly me copying/pasting so badly :-)

I already posted this elsewhere, but if you want to do a re-release you can include this graphic that ZDoom can use when its statistics screen is set to show the counters as absolute numbers, not percentage.

http://grafzahl.drdteam.org/other/wislash.bmp

All the bugs I noticed so far have already been listed. I was wondering what the purpose of that second switch in MAP11 was.

Shouldn't those metal switches in MAP31 be ones of the Gatewatcher's face? Or were those textures removed at some point during the development process?

Yeah, that switch needs to be fixed. I remember the issue was discussed but apparently fixing it slipped by.

Satyr000 said:

While using JDoom the shadow of the vines hanging from the ceiling floats above the floor.
http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doombug2jc5.png

Also the backpack full of ammo next to the dead marine will be distorted inless your up close.
http://img246.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doombug1mb5.jpg

Nothing to major, thought I should post them any way.

Rendering bugs of the engine you're using can't really be fixed in the wad.

In the credit gfx, I'm credited for map 31 instead of 32, a very very minor fault.
Btw, is it you Gusta who has fixed the door-stucked cyber in my map 15 ? If yes I give you a big thanks, because it was awesome to kill him outside =P

Vermil said:

Regarding port specific graphic lumps: I think that such lumps in all ports should be covered, or that none at tall should be.

I can't help you with other ports. I just happened to make this one for myself so why not share it? It doesn't cost anything and won't harm any other port. ;)

There's this soul sphere in Map03 that can only be picked up by Player 2 in coop. But it's very visible in SP. I'm don't know the reason for doing this. But it sure was fun running around the map endlessly trying to figure out how to get it. Also it makes it impossible to get 100/100/100.

Vermil said:

Regarding port specific graphic lumps: I think that such lumps in all ports should be covered, or that none at tall should be.

Well, there's a MAPINFO lump already...

kristus said:

There's this soul sphere in Map03 that can only be picked up by Player 2 in coop. But it's very visible in SP. I'm don't know the reason for doing this. But it sure was fun running around the map endlessly trying to figure out how to get it. Also it makes it impossible to get 100/100/100.

I got this with one vilejump (with the aid of the vile in front of the blue door) playing in Zdoom. Two smaller jumps is possible too if you don't get it just right with one. There's also blue armor and another soulsphere in the level to allow a few attempts. That probably wasn't the intention, though, and might as well do something about it with the other changes.

My biggest flaw so far was in MAP05 when at the start of the level with green armor and stairs I climbed to the ledge on the right, moving towards the blue key and jumped over to the dead cacodemon (just running that is, not source port specific jumping - this looked like a potential place for a secret before you ask). You can fall to the water from here and not get back up. Since all the other entry points into the background lake are marked impassable, I don't see why not patch this one up as well.

This is not a bug report. Was map 12 made to start with low health on purpose? If it is so, of course, I accept it as the author's a way of thinking toward difficulty. If it is not so, some recovery items should be set on the start point because there is no safe exit which is like Hunted in map 11.

Yes, map12 has been made the way that player can start there heavily injured ... there is one health potion that make you feel slightly better and more fresh :-)

If plutonia 2 is designed to play in doom2.exe, maybe will be better if you remove deh, mapinfo, demo4 from wad, and merge music in separate wad (pl2mus for example) and create pl2.exe including automap names and storyline like in Alien Vendetta?
It's should be good, because pl2.wad it's a vanilla wad, and should be clean from lumps, which are unsupported in doom2 format. Thanks for understanding.

About a bugs:
Bad texture alignment for many levels.
map 25. One revenant falls through a floor nearby the bridge (sector 345), and revenants on sector 428 never teleporting (see my first-trying demo on map 25 - http://hellscauldron.narod.ru/pl2-lmp.zip (1,9 mb for all 33)).

All of the minor issues mentioned here when playing pl2.zip with jDoom will be fixed for the upcoming Doomsday 1.9.0-beta6 release. Yes, I'll even get MAPINFO parsed under jDoom/jHeretic.

There seems to be an invisbile obstacle in front of a computer console in map10 (x 1607 y -370). I don't know what is causing this, but perhaps it's a nodebuilder issue?

I'm playing with zdoom 2.2.0 btw!

Vader said:

There seems to be an invisbile obstacle in front of a computer console in map10 (x 1607 y -370). I don't know what is causing this, but perhaps it's a nodebuilder issue?

I'm playing with zdoom 2.2.0 btw!

looks likely, the map construction looks fine. Tested with prboom+

The transfer from map 32 to map 16 is very unfair. The lack of health in the actual exit room means you have a good chance of being low on health entering 16...where you get torn apart in seconds from many different angles. I'd suggest putting a berserk there just to ensure no-one ends up cheating etc. to survive the next start having gone in with less than full health.

(for the record I did manage to reach the exit room with 94%/0% and survive the next map's opening via a mad dash, eventually)

The Ultimate DooMer said:

I did manage to reach the exit room with 94%/0% and survive the next map's opening via a mad dash, eventually

Jesus. Does somebody play each level not from scratch in 2008?

Lost Heretic said:

If plutonia 2 is designed to play in doom2.exe, maybe will be better if you remove deh, mapinfo, demo4 from wad, and merge music in separate wad (pl2mus for example) and create pl2.exe including automap names and storyline like in Alien Vendetta?
It's should be good, because pl2.wad it's a vanilla wad, and should be clean from lumps, which are unsupported in doom2 format. Thanks for understanding.

I hope you are not serious!

Because:

Finally there are mappers who understand that most players these days do *not* play with Doom2.exe and provide the necessary means that it runs well under all engines they tested it with and some idiot comes along that suggests to get out that stuff again.

So please tell me: In what way do these 2 lumps hurt your purist's soul - other than you not being able to make use of them?

Wake up! We live in 2009, not 1994! pl2.exe would be a waste of time for the maybe 10 people who would be using it. Most of us can't even use it properly anymore - even if we wanted.

Graf Zahl said:

Most of us can't even use it properly anymore - even if we wanted.

Well, that's not true. Dosbox works great.

prboomplus - map 03 - near the start, opening the WOODMET doors and going through the bars that lower and raise by a switch, entering the room where there is a yellow key door, and on one side there is an invisible bridge that goes to the blue key, while facing the blue key, on the left side, where the bars are, if you hug the bars to get a shot at the zombieman and shotgun guys up on the ledge past the bars, you can see that the floor of the ledge has some strange glitch where part of the sky leaks on to the floor of that ledge.