Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Doom fails to make list

Well, what can you expect from a site that puts Dead Space and The Force Unleashed on that list, honestly..?

edit: And Bioshock at #2, too, haha.

khartael said:

Well, what can you expect from a site that puts Dead Space and The Force Unleashed on that list, honestly..?

Quoted for truth. :p
And halo? Seriously? When I played the first level of that I was just waiting for it to be over. The endless repetition of the Autumn was killing me. Though, had I known that repetition was what I could expect from the entire game, I wouldn't have bothered.

Eh, I hardly think E1M1 is that great a part of DOOM. When I think about DOOM, E1M1 is simply not a part of what comes to mind. If anything, the first moment that REALLY grabs you in DOOM is E1M8 when the Bruiser Bros. come out to play. Everything is building up to that point in a slow ramp, which is perfect. But that makes E1M1 the lowest point of the ramp. It's kinda mysterious, but it doesn't have that much else going for it. On the lower skill levels it has a grand total of 6 monsters, and only two of those are not human. Though the first time you see that Imp up on the ledge is pretty memorable. "WTF IS THAT??"

That's kind of disappointing. Well, as disappointing as having someone else's creation not appear on an arbitrary list on a website I don't visit can be, I suppose.

I'd still argue that Doom's e1m1 is a brilliant first map, though, especially for showing off what the game engine could do -- in particular, the fact that you can see the entire level through the windows visible in the room you start out in.

Quasar said:

Eh, I hardly think E1M1 is that great a part of DOOM.

I do, but I think that's more because I have a very clear memory of playing it for the first time and not so much to do with the level itself.

Actually, no, I'm going to disagree with myself. E1M1 within the first few seconds showed off light and height variation and an outside area with a parallax sky and shortly after that there was a damaging environment. I think that's a pretty good introduction to what the Doom engine was capable of.

And it has an explosive barrel right at the start - giving it a start-to-crate time of 0. Oh, that's meant to be a bad thing isn't it? ;)

Halo made it!
EEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

In all seriousness
I think Dooms 1st level was better than alot
Being that I can never forget it
Maybe these guys have never played a video game
I wouldn't trusts this site.

In general, lists on any mainstream videogame sites are complete garbage. Every time I force myself to look at one, I end up nerd raging over how misinformed, ignorant and just plain retarded the selections often are.

Anybody who thinks they can make a list of 'best ever' for anything is in way over their head.

These are the opinions of some people that in no way represent everybody else, yet they always seem to be put down as if their set in stone facts.

It is odd that they didn't include Doom on that list. Everyone who has ever played doom (serious gamers or otherwise) remembers the first level of Doom.

Having played Bioshock (very atmospheric and moody start) and Halo (fair start, but damn repetitive level design... "Will you crash into a planet already, stoopid Pillar of Autumn"), neither of these two games comes close to the 'memorability' of Doom's e1m1.

In truth, I didn't look at the complete list. My internet is capped out for the month, and I'll be stuffed if I am going to wait around slowly loading 25 pages just to see what a bunch of misinformed fanboys have to say about gaming's "finest first levels"

*looks around for some pitchforks and firebrands.

khartael said:

Dead Space is cool but it only gets good AFTER the first "level". Also The Force Unleashed is only there because "zomg playable vader!!11", and after that it does the opposite of deadspace and just gets worse.

Kyka said:

It is odd that they didn't include Doom on that list. Everyone who has ever played doom (serious gamers or otherwise) remembers the first level of Doom.

Having played Bioshock (very atmospheric and moody start) and Halo (fair start, but damn repetitive level design... "Will you crash into a planet already, stoopid Pillar of Autumn"), neither of these two games comes close to the 'memorability' of Doom's e1m1.

The only reason I still played and enjoyed that game (covenant more specifically, the flood is just boring) was the enemy AI.. I don't know why.. but to me, on legendary mode, they are so fun to fight.

I actually really liked The Pillar of Autumn. It was a fun level, even if it wasn't all that diverse and had some repetition to it. The following levels (Halo, The Truth And Reconciliation, and The Silent Cartographer) Were MUCH better. They didn't suffer from copy-paste level design like pretty much all the other levels after that did.

Halo 2 and 3 are pretty much corporate garbage though.

Mike.Reiner said:

The only reason I still played and enjoyed that game (covenant more specifically, the flood is just boring) was the enemy AI.. I don't know why.. but to me, on legendary mode, they are so fun to fight.

Hell yeah.

E1M1 isn't that much. Now E4M1 is a real powerful start level. That one should have been nominated!

Now I can't agree with that. For an opening map in a series of 8(9) maps, E4M1 has an entirely inappropriate balance IMO. I think E4M1 is a pretty awful level that serves as an entree for a pretty awful episode. However, it may be the best of a bad bunch.

I thought it was a pretty good episode. It just seemed like it should have been a PWAD and not in the IWAD. It was sorta like a "why am I still fighting monsters after I defeated the final boss in the last episo- wait is that the same final boss I fought before? and it's equally as tough as it was in E3M8? Oh look a picture of the same place blowing up that blew up at the end of E3, except I have a different haircut and I took the bunny with me this time."

yeh agreed, E4 was the least good of all the episodes. My personal favourite was E3. But E4 contains my least favourite stock doom level, perfect hatred, i dont think that level could have been much worse and was just really really annoying. Also is it just me or is the last level of E4 the easiest one and is even a pretty easy walk through from a pistol start?

Hmmm... I'm surprised. I thought there was more "love in the room" for Ep4 and that I was a bit "out there" with my feelings on it.

Yeah, to me it has always felt like a poorly thought through, tacked on extra that doesn't fit with the rest of game properly. Also, the lack of new resources (even a Doom2 monster would have done) was disappointing. If it had been treated like a mission pack and run as a PWAD then it may have felt more appropriate but, as JohnnyRancid said (and I agree with all of his comments), to me it doesn't really work as part of the IWAD.

As far as level design is concerned, I'd consider much of e4 to be far and above what was in e3 and most of e2. To me, e4m6 is more like what I think e3 should have been like.

Being possibly the most played level of all time (with the shareware), I find it hard to believe E1M1 could have been missed.

oh well, another mainstream site trying to look hip by listing the "best of" levels that really just represents an editor's opinion. What the fuck is Halo (mediocre FPS), GoldenEye (bottom of the shit barrel), Star Wars Force Unleashed (do I need to comment on this), and a few others even doing on the list?

MikeRS said:

Being possibly the most played level of all time (with the shareware), I find it hard to believe E1M1 could have been missed.

oh well, another mainstream site trying to look hip by listing the "best of" levels that really just represents an editor's opinion. What the fuck is Halo (mediocre FPS), GoldenEye (bottom of the shit barrel), Star Wars Force Unleashed (do I need to comment on this), and a few others even doing on the list?

Simple. Put in mainstream blockbusters and groovy hipster nostalgic, top of the virtual download games for the win.

Doom fails to make the "insert title here" list! This is a calamity! The community is doomed! (no pun intended) Everyone assume the foetal position! <an archvile will do the rounds shortly to administer the last rites>

Yeah seriously. I just don't care that Doom isn't on this, that, or the other list. Well, there is one list that I wish ended with "11) Thou shalt play Doom" but aside from that it just doesn't matter to me.

I don't really care that Doom isn't on there but some of those don't seem right. Little Big Planet? The intro level is cool but, though I really like that game, it's not spectacular. Same goes for Earthworm Jim.

Symphony of the Night is awesome but I dunno about one of the best first levels there. Maybe I've just played it so much that I don't appreciate it as much anymore :[

Quasar said:

Eh, I hardly think E1M1 is that great a part of DOOM. When I think about DOOM, E1M1 is simply not a part of what comes to mind. If anything, the first moment that REALLY grabs you in DOOM is E1M8 when the Bruiser Bros. come out to play. Everything is building up to that point in a slow ramp, which is perfect. But that makes E1M1 the lowest point of the ramp.

This I agree with.

Most people will vote E1M1 as being the most memorable, but I think that has more to do with its placement as the first map rather than the map itself. The memorable thing was the introduction to Doom's world - its looks and style and gameplay - and I think any other halfway decent map could have been used as E1M1 and have the same amount of votes for best/most memorable/impressive map.