Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
t.v.

how much is ths computer worth?

Some-one offered me a pc, but I'm no longer up to date about current prices. How much would this be worth?

Intel e6600 core2duo 2 x 2,4ghz
Mobo Asrock conroeXfire
4GB RAM 667mhz DDR2
Nvidia geforce 7300 256mb videocard
dvd/cd writer
250GB maxtor 7200 rpm drive
6xUSB2.0
1xFirewire
1xLAN
4xSATA

thanks in advance

I paid about $400 USD for something with higher specs. Granted this was a custom built machine from a custom retailer. It was also a used model, so the new version of that was around $600.

Can't say how much, but I'd point out that unless you're planning to not play new games that machine badly needs a new graphics card and unless you are going to make either professional grade music or movie editing there's much more ram than you'd need, which means you'd be essentially paying for nothing (unlike with processing power, extra space is just wasted unless you can fill it, and good luck filling 4gb with just daily apps and one game at a time).

Intel Pentirum D Dual Core 2x2.8ghz
2GB RAM 667mhz DDR2
Nvidia GeForce 9800
DVD/CD Writer
300GB Western Digital 7200 rpm drive

~$400 for me. This is used.

That graphics card you have would be sufficient for running older games, but for any modern gaming, you'll want at least a GeForce 8600.

again, its a fair computer but would desperatly need a new graphics card if you wanted to play any new game (Crysis, Far Cry2, Left 4 Dead, etc) as the graphics card just sint anywhere near as good as the rest of the computer. I would recomend a Nvidia 9600GT for affordability and good gaming ability.

$250 - $300. The graphics card is as the others said the worst part in there.

PhilibusMo said:

Nvidia 9600GT

What? I'm sure you mean 8600 GT, don't you? Pretty affordable with today's prices and should be able to run almost anything you'll be throwing at it for the next few years.

Don't buy the vid card, keep all the RAM. You can get very good cards starting at u$s80, provided you're in a First World country.

Jodwin said:

...there's much more ram than you'd need, which means you'd be essentially paying for nothing (unlike with processing power, extra space is just wasted unless you can fill it, and good luck filling 4gb with just daily apps and one game at a time).

I think it depends on how he uses the computer, what he plans to do in the future with it, the OS he runs, and the games he plans to play. I have 2gb in my laptop, and already I'm down to ~900mb free today. I tend to have at least 9 apps open when I'm working, sometimes more when I'm doing programming, so it's nice to have that extra space.

My suggestion would be to keep all that ram to avoid unnecessary paging and allow room for growth. And get a new videocard :^)

The 8600 is a pretty reasonable card, but the 9600 would help you get more out of the rest of your computer should you want to or need to in the future.

DJ_Haruko said:

I think it depends on how he uses the computer, what he plans to do in the future with it, the OS he runs, and the games he plans to play. I have 2gb in my laptop, and already I'm down to ~900mb free today. I tend to have at least 9 apps open when I'm working, sometimes more when I'm doing programming, so it's nice to have that extra space.

My suggestion would be to keep all that ram to avoid unnecessary paging and allow room for growth. And get a new videocard :^)

Well okay, if he's going to use an untweaked Vista and run plenty of heavy applications at the same time (say, Firefox for a few hours, Visual Studio with documentation, Photoshop and something else on top) you'll get pretty close to maxing 2gb. But still, as long as you don't exceed it it doesn't matter, and personally I'd rather get extremely fast 2gb ram than slower 4gb. Of course if you can get extremely fast 4gb then that's objectively better but keep in mind that not everyone benefits from that extra memory, only more "hardcore" users (and professionals) do.

(And why this is of a concern to me is because everywhere I look here in Finland I see advertisements for laptops designed for people who don't know crap about computers and the only components really brought up to the customer are ram and HD space, since they are the only ones that can be easily quantified these days. A few years back you could easily say that one processor is better than an other just by looking at the mhz/ghz alone, but you can't even trust that anymore. So companies just throw their consumer laptops full of ram and HD space and say that it's "good" and ask for a huge price, when the people who are likely to buy those machines would be just as fine with 1gb ram and 80gb HD (OS, some documents, a few photos until they burn them on CDs, browser cache). Lets not forget that one advertisement with a laptop that had an "Intel Celeron M" processor (no more details given) which was supposed to be "fast" and "good." Ha, yeah right.)

DJ_Haruko said:

Good suggestion. Another good move to help with paging speed is to off load the paging file on to another disk that doesn't contain the OS. Photoshop and Illustrator will also see some performance benefits by adding a physical disk for the scratch disk file. Although, that disk shouldn't also contain the page file.

Not to mention that to actually use all 4 GB you'll have to use a 64-bit OS, which may or may not be to your liking. 64-bit XP or Vista spring to mind, but 64-bit flavours of Linux should cut it.

In general you can leave 4 GB installed and only see 3 if you use 32-bit OSes without any speed penalty, however if you can reduce the total RAM to 3 (e.g. a 3 x 1 GB or 2 + 1 GB configuration) you must see if that implies a reduced clocked speed and/or loss of dual channel capability (usually both).

For the rest, it's a pretty typical up-to-date system, save for the graphics which suxx0rz. A bit geared towards video production though (those firewire controllers). Since you don't specify if it comes with a good PSU and box and/or a monitor, I'd say it's about $300-400 too depending on quality of RAM modules.

I have 3GB of RAM using dual channel. 2 channels with 1GB + 512MB in each. Works like a charm.

Maes said:

In general you can leave 4 GB installed and only see 3 if you use 32-bit OSes without any speed penalty.

I think it's up to 3.87GB if you use stock XP or XP SP1, but can drop as low as 3.17GB with XP SP2 or SP3. It's also dependant on additional system components: 4GB is the true 32-bit limit, but the more hardware that requires memory allocation (video cards, other PCI devices, APICs, etc.), the more of the 4GB address space is claimed for those components at a loss from your total usable RAM. My only additional component requiring memory allocation is a 512MB video card, so I have ~3.5GB RAM available in XP SP2. But at the same time, the most RAM any single application can allocate is 2GB.

AirRaid said:

I have 3GB of RAM using dual channel. 2 channels with 1GB + 512MB in each. Works like a charm.

That'd work too, but in his case he probably can't magically generate or "break" a 1 GB module into two 512 MB ones.