Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Thanks heaps for the feedback/criticisms everyone.
Looking back at my early maps, I have learnt that they would have been not much use except as 'sightseeing' levels... to have to actually 'game' on them would have been an exercise in frustration. But having been around these forums for like 6 months or so now, I like to think that I have learnt something about actual *gameplay. Essel and Creaphis have at different times been good enough to have a look at a couple of my first maps, and I gotta say, I fully agree with their criticisms.

But in my defence, I think my newest maps actually play pretty well. (Though if they do, it is totally because of constructive criticsms exactly like the ones posted here.)

Yah, I guess that my 'natural' mapping style is really, really detailed, but I think that as long as it doesn't get in the way, it is ok to have 'scenery' like this. I've learnt to use lots of impassable lines, make my areas much less cramped, and even just use some of the really detailed areas as 'transition' areas where the player can get health and ammo between battles, rather than forcing the player to fight in insanely detailed areas...

@AgentSpork The blocks on the ground in that room are close enough together that you don't bounce up and down. *phew. It is a very open room otherwise tho, as it has a couple of nasty traps in it.

@JohhnyRancid. Thanks for your thoughts. Appreciated.

@Creaphis. You have been such an awesome resource for my mapping. What can I say? thanks heaps. :)

@Essel. As always, thanks for your suggestions. And no one can say that you don't put your own advice into practice with your maps, they are awesome. Anytime you feel like updating that mapping tips thread, that would be fine with me *hint.

@kristus. Man, was reading through the Plutonia 2 .txt files and couldn't help notice that you were a contributor to AV, which is only my favorite mapset of all time!! (Other than the original Doom wads, of course) Thanks for your post, I hadn't thought of it as a heatsink, but now that I look at it, it totally is... It was kinda modeled off one of the areas from Doom 3 (the 'hub' area late in the game with the four walkways hanging over that huge drop.)

@Dreadopp. As always bro, appreciate your encouragement.

Man, I am such a perfectionist, reading through these comments, it made me realise I should just get off my ass and FREAKIN' ACTUALLY RELEASE SOMETHING. In fact, I will do just that. That way, I can get feedback based on actual 'maps' rather than just fancy looking .png's

Thanks for the comments, sorry if this is tl;dr. *Actual maps coming soon. :)

Right now, I'm off to the beach. It's summer here. Woohoo!!!

I like your style Kyka. I think you should keep doing it. Since it looks a lot different than most maps of today. I think it reminds me of starwars. The complicatedness makes your maps look sinister and surreal.

Kaiser said:

yeah...

YEAH!

So is Doom64 EX nearly done enough to port or just making sure to code for ease of later porting... yeah? :D

Not done yet, need to fix the remaining bugs and tweak the features for multiplayer, as well as find some way to implement extra player starts in the extracted levels.

Though none of this will reflect on the DS port as most of the code will be from scratch (again). I am also not going to bother getting multiplayer to function on the DS port.

Ahh I'd just been wondering since the OpenGL test was the last thing I'd seen and I had hoped things would continue to progress so nicely. I'm happy for the update and the news. Awesome.

AgentSpork said:

Need any testers for this? :P

Probably until I get the game logic stuff implemented. Right now it just renders the level for you to fly around in. No things, weapons, firing, etc as of now. But so far the renderer is pretty solid so I'll probably start getting everything together soon. Though, Left4Dead has been taking up a lot of my time so....yeah.

Also, virtual ram is gonna be a bitch :\

esselfortium said:

Is that second shot the exterior of Matthew Lesko's house? (Yes)

That just made my day! I can't stop laughing!

esselfortium said:

Fuck I wish I knew who Matthew Lesko was before I read that post. I ended up looking him up and recognizing him right away but it wasn't as funny as it could of been.

Who is Matthew Lesko?

Never mind...I knew who that guy was for forever, I just haven't heard of him since I was a kid. =)

Due to the recent uprise of conventional lawsuits due to UAC's hazardous environments, UAC has performed the ingenious task of ensuring the utmost convenience when navigating UAC labs by providing extra precautions in the workplace by indicating all potential dangers that could inflict physical self-injury. UAC cares about your safety. I present to you - Caution Tape Bonanza!

http://jbserver.com/forums/attachments/8348_DOOM0000.png

http://jbserver.com/forums/attachments/8348_DOOM0001.png

http://jbserver.com/forums/attachments/8348_DOOM0002.png

esselfortium said:

YOU can get FREE POWER CELLS! COZ YOU'RE IN AMERICA!!!!!!

Wonderful

Janizdreg said:
Picture removed.

Dear Admin, some of your board members have some persitant desire to put Hitler's pictures on board, and I don't think that this is good for DoomWorld reputation and generate an unpleasant feeling of parallax between some WWII dark ages and this website.

In some countries this website could be closed for this...
Be gentle to strongly MODERATE threads !

iceman57 said:

Dear Admin, some of your board members have some persitant desire to put Hitler's pictures on board, and I don't think that this is good for DoomWorld reputation and generate an unpleasant feeling of parallax between some WWII dark ages and this website.

In some countries this website could be closed for this...
Be gentle to strongly MODERATE threads !

I am congratulating on your reflex. It's on the very first page and you're talking about it now? You're too late.

[huge image removed - read the rules about maximum image sizes (NB: both dimensions and file size); better still, use a thumbnail + link - Grazza]

The rain effect is done, and the lighter even goes out in the rain! Some new textures...still have some Doom placeholders though I hope to eliminate in the coming weeks.