Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brandon D. Lade

Twilight Zone II Questions

I am currently playing Twilight Zone II, an older wad by Paul Corfiatis. I am enjoying it, but I have a couple of questions regarding things I've seen in/about the wad.

Firstly, I can swear that I've seen Map10, Map23, and Map24 elsewhere, in other wads (at least very similar versions of these maps). Is this just my imagination? If not, then could anyone (including Paul) tell me where each of these 3 maps are also found? That would be appreciated, for I can't remember or find them myself.

Secondly, I read from Metabolist that one section of Map26 was torn right out of TNT: Evilution. What section is it, and what Evilution map does it come from?

Thirdly, while the vast majority of maps are good, Map21 sucks, at least in my opinion. Sorry, Paul, if this might offend you, but don't let it, because your other maps are all good. Was this map made by someone else, by some chance?

Finally, does the name of Map29, Caverns Of Darkness, have anyting to do with the Chaos Crew project of the same name?

If anyone (including Paul) could address any or all of these questions, it would be appreciated. Thank you.

Thaks for Map23. If the other questions could be answered by someone else, that would be appreciated. (Oh, pcorf, if you see this, I'd love it if you leave your answers here.)

Well, once again thanks for the Map23 answer. Seems as if no one knows anything else. Oh well, that's not a big problem. Anyways, if you see this, Paul, dropping a response would be appreciated. Thank you.

Brandon D. Lade said:

(Oh, pcorf, if you see this, I'd love it if you leave your answers here.)

A modified version of Map10 is also used in a wad named Operation Biowar.

Map 24 is also used as E4M2 in Death Tormention 2. A new Map 24 will be included in the next version of twzone2 which I'm slowly working on which has improved gameplay and music. Only the first 3 levels are done as of now. Been doing lots of on Whispers of Satan and music, etc.

In Map26 there is NO area taken out of TNT Evilution at all. The DM area is actually idmap01.wad pasted in.

In map23 there is an area similar to TNT's map04 Wormhole but I actually made it completely from scratch. Map 23 was also released as a standalone Demo level. This version will be included in the new version of Twzone2 but modified to appear more realistic.

Map 21 was made by me but as you say its very bland indeed and is likely to undergo a major overhaul in the new version of twzone2. Or there could be an all new map21.

The Map 29 name Caverns of Darkness was a totally original name I thought up of back in 1998. The Chaos Crew project was released after Twzone2 was released.

Thank you for the answers (I look forward to both Whispers and the new twzone2 being released.) Regarding Map26, if you look at the Metabolist review doomworld.com/metabolist/reviews/007.html] here you will find the following being said of Map26:

"And in fact one part has been lifted right out of TNT-Evilution, and altered! You'll know which one."

What, then, could he be taling about?

Brandon D. Lade said:

Thank you for the answers (I look forward to both Whispers and the new twzone2 being released.) Regarding Map26, if you look at the Metabolist review doomworld.com/metabolist/reviews/007.html] here you will find the following being said of Map26:

"And in fact one part has been lifted right out of TNT-Evilution, and altered! You'll know which one."

What, then, could he be taling about?

This is a guess (prolly a lame one too), but I think it's Map05- TNT Barons.

List of Maps are here:

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/The_Twilight_Zone_2

It's been a while since I played that wad. My favorite map was Map25.

Can't find a similarity in Map26, at least not to Map05, unless the textures were dramatically altered. However, I did notice by chance that in Map29, the brown circular room that includes the yellow key exit door looks almost exactly like the first room in Map25 of Evilution. Anything up with that?

Brandon D. Lade said:

Can't find a similarity in Map26, at least not to Map05, unless the textures were dramatically altered. However, I did notice by chance that in Map29, the brown circular room that includes the yellow key exit door looks almost exactly like the first room in Map25 of Evilution. Anything up with that?

Could you put a screenshot of both rooms up please? I would like to see.

Pure Hellspawn said:

Could you put a screenshot of both rooms up please? I would like to see.

I don't have any site or uploading device for the internet. Is there any other way to put up a screenshot?

If not, that just load up TNT, type idclev25, and remember the look of the circular, brown-walled room (with a green/grey pillar in the middle) you reach once you leave the twisting brown cavern. (This is right at the beginning of the map.) Then, fire up twzone2 and type idclev29, and play the map until you find the room that contains the yellow key door leading to the exit. It, too, is preceded by a twisty brown cavern (although it is not at the beginning of the level this time). This area is reached after you descend the lift that is immediately beyond the blue key door. When you do see the room, I'd bet that you will indeed be saying, "Hey, didn't I just remember seeing this room before?". Aside from maybe some slightly changed looks in the ways out of the room, the inclusion of the yellow-key exit door that wasn't there in Evilution, and the green/grey pillar in the middle of the room being placed higher up, the room looks almost exactly the same!

Brandon D. Lade said:

I did notice by chance that in Map29, the brown circular room that includes the yellow key exit door looks almost exactly like the first room in Map25 of Evilution. Anything up with that?

Yes in some ways. That area was indeed inspired by Map25 of Evilution but I made it completely from scratch. No copying and pasting here. 99% of twzone2 is from scratch.

It's been a while since I played that wad. My favorite map was Map25. [/B]

Amy's Keep is one of my favorite maps in twzone2 as well. But my personal choice would be Subspace (Map16).

pcorf said:

Yes in some ways. That area was indeed inspired by Map25 of Evilution but I made it completely from scratch. No copying and pasting here. 99% of twzone2 is from scratch.

I can believe it was from scratch if you say so, but it certainly looks almost like a copy and paste. Guess you're sometimes good at remembering designs. :)

Also, how could 99% of the wad be made from scratch if 3 of the maps (10, 23, 24) are taken from other wads you made/contributed to?

Finally, I checked Map10 of Operation Biowar and it does not look at all like Map10 of twzone2. Not one room seems even remotely similar between the two. So what are you talking about when you say it is a modified version of that map in Biowar?

Brandon D. Lade said:

I can believe it was from scratch if you say so, but it certainly looks almost like a copy and paste. Guess you're sometimes good at remembering designs. :)

Also, how could 99% of the wad be made from scratch if 3 of the maps (10, 23, 24) are taken from other wads you made/contributed to?

Finally, I checked Map10 of Operation Biowar and it does not look at all like Map10 of twzone2. Not one room seems even remotely similar between the two. So what are you talking about when you say it is a modified version of that map in Biowar?

Your third statement slightly contradicts your second statement. Now does Map10 of twzone2 seem to be a rip from another map or not?

Pure Hellspawn said:

Your third statement slightly contradicts your second statement. Now does Map10 of twzone2 seem to be a rip from another map or not?

I am sure I have seen Map10 before. It might have been some map in Biowar, but it certainly is not Map10 in Biowar. That is all I am asking: Where in Biowar may it have come from?

Also, even if Map10 is not a rip, which I doubt is true considering that Paul admitted it was used elsewhere, I have confirmed that Map23 and 24 do indeed come from the sources posted earlier in this thread. Even if only 2 maps, not 3, came from another source, it would still not be true to say that 99% of the wad is from scratch.

Brandon D. Lade said:

I am sure I have seen Map10 before. It might have been some map in Biowar, but it certainly is not Map10 in Biowar. That is all I am asking: Where in Biowar may it have come from?

Also, even if Map10 is not a rip, which I doubt is true considering that Paul admitted it was used elsewhere, I have confirmed that Map23 and 24 do indeed come from the sources posted earlier in this thread. Even if only 2 maps, not 3, came from another source, it would still not be true to say that 99% of the wad is from scratch.

That's why I only said it slightly contradicts the statement, not fully.

Even if a few rooms were ripped, there are probably several hundred rooms that aren't, even in the levels that are ripped. So perhaps it is true that 99% of the level is from scratch.

Pure Hellspawn said:

That's why I only said it slightly contradicts the statement, not fully.

Even if a few rooms were ripped, there are probably several hundred rooms that aren't, even in the levels that are ripped. So perhaps it is true that 99% of the level is from scratch.

Regarding Map10, I understand why you only said slightly now.

Also, in the other maps, 23 and 24, the levels are virtually complete duplicates; I've played through both versions. So clearly it is more than just a few rooms being ripped; Map23 is almost exactly the same as the standalone map, and Map24 is almost exactly the same as the map Paul referred to in DT2.

To Paul (or anyone else who knows): If Map10 does indeed come from Biowar, what map in Biowar is it based on? It is definitely NOT in any way, shape, or form based on Biowar Map10.