Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

Community Effort DM wad

Someone sends in a very basic skeleton for a wad. Then everyone downloads it and develops it. When they're done, they send em all in and they get put into a mega DM wad. Each level is then familiar, yet very different. The better the skeleton wad, the better the outcome will be. Art and DOOM collide.

Let's just all remake map01 :)

Or map30. That could really use some remaking.

lol man, not another map1 remake. The patterns have been used in so many wads over years and it's getting boring, although techlogy.wad's first map is also another remake of map1 already. I'm still brainstorming about how to develop and improve my map to an advance lvl. Hopefully i'll soon get some good ideas :)

Can I make a remake of MAP01's exit room?

I thought you already made it, what's that screenshot on doomworld.tk about?

To answer the first reply (sorry, I was sleeping) whoever wants to make it can. But my idea wasn't that someone would make map01, and another person would make map02 etc, rather that someone, anyone, would make a skeleton wad which anyone could then download and edit to his whim and then upload it again.
Who's in charge of managing the ftp.cdrom.com DOOM uploads? Would it be possible to make two separate folders for DM wad project? One folder to upload the skeleton wad and another folder to upload completed wads based on the skeleton. People could upload as many sekeleton wads as they wanted, and to make it easier, maybe I will write up a text file that people can use when uploading the wad.

I made a "dummy" example of what the .txt file inlcuded in uploads to cdrom.com might look like. Included in the .txt file are instructions for the wad submissions so that the 'operator'(?) at cdrom.com will be able to identify the community DM wads from other wads and put them in their assigned folder. I don't want this to be my project, I'm just trying to get the ball rolling.

===================================================
Community DM Project Upload
===================================================

Title : Esoteric DM (skeleton)
Filename : Skeleton-Esoteric.wad Skeleton-Esoteric.txt
Date Released : February 8th, 2002
Author : Jason Root
Email Address : jasonr@berkshire.net
Description : This is a community effort wad: it is a mere skeleton,
a basic layout for a DM wad. It is essentially an
unfinished wad, waiting for *you* to download it and
finish making it.

Instructions : The rules are simple. The skeleton wad shouldn't be too developed, nor should it just be a square room. It's up to you how complete you want to make it. Make sure the file names you give the files(.wad, .txt and .zip) all start with "Skeleton-" then add your filename to it. People who download your wad will call their version "finished-" and add *your* name of the wad to the end of the file name. For example: "Skeleton-Esoteric.wad" as a skeleton wad becomes "finished-esoteric.wad" as a completed wad ready for DM. For the title of the wad, give the name of the wad, in this case "Esoteric DM" and then in parentheses have skeleton (or finished in the case of a fleshed out skeleton wad). Wads should all be made in version 1.9 of the IWAD of your choice.

Beta Testers : That'd be nice...

Credits to :
============================================================
* Play Information *

Game : Doom 2 v1.9
Source Port : None needed.
Level(s) Replaced : Map01
Single Player : No
Cooperative 2-4 Player : No
Deathmatch 2-4 Player : Yes
Difficulty Settings : Nah
New Sounds : Nah
New Graphics : Nah
New Music : Yes

* Construction *

Base : New level from scratch
Level Editor : Registered Deep97 v. 9.77
Graphic Editor(s) used : None
Other Editors : None
Known Bugs : None

================================================================

* Copyright / Permissions *

Authors are ENCOURAGED to use this level as a base to
build additional levels or to add/change anything to it.

Please distribute this level. Make sure you include this file, with no modifications. You may distribute this file in any electronic format (BBS, Diskette, CD, etc) as long as you include this file intact.

===============================================
Get this at: ftp://ftp.cdrom.com

========================================================
========================================================

Title : Esoteric DM (skeleton)
Filename : Skeleton-Esoteric.wad Skeleton-Esoteric.txt
Date Released : February 8th, 2002
Description : This is a community effort wad: it is a mere skeleton,
a basic layout for a DM wad. It is essentially an
unfinished wad, waiting for *you* to download it and
finish making it. There isn't much yet, just two
connecting rooms with two ledges.

Instructions : The rules are simple. The skeleton wad shouldn't be too developed, nor should it just be a square room. It's up to you how complete you want to make it. Make sure the file names you give the files(.wad, .txt and .zip) all start with "Skeleton-" then add your filename to it. People who download your wad will call their version "finished-" and add *your* name of the wad to the end of the file name. For example: "Skeleton-Esoteric.wad" as a skeleton wad becomes "finished-esoteric.wad" as a completed wad ready for DM. For the title of the wad, give the name of the wad, in this case "Esoteric DM" and then in parentheses have skeleton (or finished in the case of a fleshed out skeleton wad). Wads should all be made in version 1.9 of the IWAD of your choice.

Credits to :
* Play Information *

* Construction *

Authors are ENCOURAGED to use this level as a base to
build additional levels or to add/change anything to it.

Please distribute this level. Make sure you include this file, with no modifications. You may distribute this file in any electronic format (BBS, Diskette, CD, etc) as long as you include this file intact.

Title : Esoteric DM (finished)
Filename : Finished-Esoteric.wad Finished-Esoteric.txt
Date Released : February 13th, 2002
Description : This is a community effort wad: Finished Versoin. It is cool with high rises and tall windows. There's a couple twisting passages and some medium sized rooms for good slaughtering fun.

Instructions : The rules are simple. The skeleton wad shouldn't be too developed, nor should it just be a square room. It's up to you how complete you want to make it. Make sure the file names you give the files (.wad, .txt and .zip) all start with "Skeleton-" then add your filename to it. People who download your wad will call their version "finished-" and add *your* name of the wad to the end of the file name. For example: "Skeleton-Esoteric.wad" as a skeleton wad becomes "Finished-Esoteric.wad" as a completed wad ready for DM. For the title of the wad, give the name of the wad, in this case "Esoteric DM" and then in parentheses have skeleton (or finished in the case of a fleshed out skeleton wad). Wads should all be made in version 1.9 of the IWAD of your choice.

Credits to :
* Play Information *

* Construction *

Authors MAY NOT use this level as a base to build additional
levels or to add/change anything to it.

You MAY distribute this level, provided you include this file, with no modifications. You may distribute this file in any electronic format (BBS, Diskette, CD, etc) as long as you include this file intact.

You SPAM! We give you NUZZLE TORTURE! RRARRRGH!
Looks like a good idea Hb, who's gonna do the skeleton WAD?
I would, but I suck.

ANYONE AND EVERYONE CAN DO A SKELETON WAD! We can have as many skeleton wads as we want. The thing that needs resolving is where do we upload these wads. I was thinking of uploading them to the /NEWSTUFF folder on cdrom.com where all the other wads are uploaded to. And the filenames of the wads would tell the moderator operator person for the doom wads to put the DM community wads into two folders: Skeleton wads and Finished wads.

what am I saying... they wouldn't even need their own folders. If you see a wad with skeleton or finished as the beginning of its filename when AndrewB does the newstuff chronicles, you know it's a community wad. Maybe someone at DW could do a feature on the community wad every week if it ever takes off.

yeah, but uploading it to /newstuff is STUPID.

Alright. Then where should they go?

Folks, you've proved that you've never uploaded to the Archive.

/pub/idgames/incoming

If they (Ty and/or Franz) approve it, it goes to /newstuff.

Thanks Zeratul for the update. Newstuff seems to make the most sense as a place to upload the wads.

Whoh, hold it! I couldn't help but notice the strong feeling of sarcasm coming from Julian, but we, or you I'd should say, is/are absolutely certain if that's the right thing to do. Deathwarrior seems to object to it, and I think I have a feeling why, hence the edit in my last post.

Edit: Read Katgut's post (You're right. I never did.) :(

/me walks away in shame.

whatever. Incoming... point is - get em into newstuff - you all are nitpicking at technicalities. Newstuff is where they'll end up.

I fail to see why Julian would be being sarcastic.

no, i mean uploading it to /idgames altogether is stupid. it'll be confusing for the people who don't know whats going on.

Deathwar - WOULD THESE GODDAM POP UP WINDOWS FUCKING GO AWAY FOR ONCE AND FOR ALLL !!!!!!!!!!!!! NO, I DO NOT KNOW OR CARE TO KNOW WHO WAS TIME MAGAZINE'S MAN OF THE YEAR, AND NO I DON'T CARE WHO THE ELDEST MEMBER OF THE BRADY BUNCH IS, AND NO, I DO NOT WANT TO SPY ON GIRLS WITH A WIRELESS WEBCAM. LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!!!!

Deathwarrior, in the wads' text files would be an explanation of the whole community wad thing. As long as people abide by the instructions in the text file and leave the stuff explaining how it works alone when they add their descriptions of their wad, there shouldn't be any confusion. Maybe the newstuff moderator people could only allow zips with correct text files to pass from \incoming to \newstuff. Of course, they'd have to agree to have that added to their job description.

the mt annoying thing is when I have already started to type and during the time it takes PUK to close it I've lost words or letters (see the beginning of this sentance).

I fail to see why Julian would be being sarcastic.

Obviously, I wasn't.

Well, ok. Just that I was expecting something else to come after "Very good idea :)" sooner or later. Don't know why. Maybe I'm just over-paranoid. Too much Conspiracy Zone or something. :)

Anyway, send them to where Katgut said. If he meant the Doom uploads link, I got a Page cannot be displayed error on the first attempt to open it, a user/password prompt on the second attempt, and it locked up the browser window on the third and fourth attempts. Well that's probably not it...