Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BilboHicks

ScoreDoom v1.99r3B

V1.99R3b released.
Ack, one final release...
After playing some extensive co-op, I found a minor (but annoying to fix) bug whereby certain damage messages on the console were repeated in multiplayer (even though the actual score was ok). This has been fixed. Basically the fix for the lag bug created it.

To make the download more worthwhile, I also decided to add a fix so that the Minotaur power up and Sentry Turret power up obey team damage rules. i.e. they dont hurt you or teammates anymore by default.
(It was very annoying to summon a Minotaur and have it beat on you)
download from usual: http://www.scoredoom.com

-----
v1.99r3 released.
download from http://www.scoredoom.com

Contains a couple of critical multiplayer (coop) fixes. The Add on pack has been updated;improvement to the Armored Imp.
Thats it. Multiplayer should be fine now.

--------

ScoreDoom v1.99r2 released
Decided to add support for optional harder bosses when using custom monsters, due to a request from a beta-tester.

Using the sdmonstershardboss wad from the 1.99r2 addonpack will increase the health of bosses by typically 150%.

Chain Bonuses are now more rewarding to go for, with a minimum of +12 instead of +5. Something I forgo to add in the last build.

download from here: http://www.scoredoom.com

------------
ScoreDoom v1.99 released (changes below)
New add-on pack as well.
Special thanks to Edward850, NovaDragon & DavidB1000 for the time spent QAing and beta-testing!!

download from the usual url: http://www.scoredoom.com

I plan for this to be my last release for some time (famous last words!). Though I'm planning on adding an optional add-on wad for making the bosses harder.

Changes in 1.99
Major bug fix for older (and sometimes newer) computers where the super shotgun (and shotgun) caused lag in the game. Multiple damage
messages per tic to monsters is accumulated over the tic for a player instead of writing multiple times to the console per tic. This
can be turned off for oldskool damage console messages by setting sd_alt_con_scoring=false (not recommended!)

Major fix for hub intermission screens and finale screens, where the proper sd par time for the full hub, as well the the proper
wad score is displayed. Level scores are not shown anymore for hub intermission and finale screens, since they make no sense there :-)

Tweaks to the sd par time calculations for more sensible par times.

Minor tweaks to the damage scoring (getting rid of occasional '+0' scores)

Fix for minor memory leak problem.

Added a new monster and some tweaks to some other monsters in the sdmonsters wad.

-----------

EDIT:Also re-uploaded the v1.98r7e add-on-pack to tweak the Phantom (less wraiths and phantom cannot be raised anymore), as well as a couple of other monsters.
----
*EDIT: Still wasn't entirely happy with my SP artifact randomization, so I updated scoredoom1.98r7e one last time! Also tightened up the suicide/infighting code* :P

Updated to 1.98 Release 7e
grab it and its 1.98r7eADDONPACK from http://www.scoredoom.com

*If you downloaded 1.98r7d or 1.98r7c, they were buggy*. my apologies
*If you downloaded the 1.98r7cADDONPACK, that was buggy, too.*

Changes in 1.98r7e:
A bug fix for a bug which was introduced in 1.98r7d. Artifacts were not spawning properly in SP.
Also added a better random seeding for spawning monsters and artifacts per level in SP based on wad names and current level name.
The add on pack was updated to fix a DECORATE conflict problem, since I forgot to update SD-ARTIFACTS.WAD in 1.98r7c.

--------

Updated to 1.98 Release 7d.
As usual, spoke too soon, I forgot to put in a major bug fix for SP, whereby the random counter for random item spawning got out of synch for loaded saved-games vs playing right through. Release 7d has the fix, fully compatible with the release 7c add-on packs.
grab here: http://www.scoredoom.com
------

Updated to 1.98 Release 7c.
can be grabbed here: http://www.scoredoom.com

Changes:
A bug fix for the scoring code, whereby the points for damage metted to monsters could be greater than the total health
of the monster (surprised I didnt catch this much earlier).
IMO, A vast improvement with the gameplay & gameplay difficulty when custom monsters are used from the sdmonsters addon-pack:
1. Player starting health and max health is now 200.
2. Monsters will regularly drop bonus health packs and armor when killed.
3. Some custom monsters behaviours are improved and tweaked (the Possessed Commander for instance)
4. A few more new monsters added.
5. Monster distributions are tweaked for more variety and for (hopefully) better gameplay

Probably my last update for the foreseeable future, due to time constraints and other interests on the horizon. I'm happy with leaving the mod in its current state, since its tweaked to how I like playing. I originally planned to rewrite some of the code so that much older computers wouldn't experience occasional slowdown, but that's probably not going to happen.

--------------
Updated to 1.98 release 7b. This release is meant for players who use the SD custom monsters wad.
Before taking a hiatus, I decided to give support for custom Bosses for the standard Boss levels. Previously only the default Bosses with Doom & DoomII were allowed on these types of levels. The ScoreDoom 1.98r7bADDONPACK (sd-monsters1.7.wad) is required also.

Furthermore, this version also fully supports zdoom 'specialactions' lmp boss levels by not replacing 'Boss' type monsters, which the wad author has specially defined. Levels with 'behavior' (acs) lmps are also fully supported, since SD will not replace any monsters for these levels. ACS can utilize Thing IDs to reference entities, which SD custom monster replacements cannot fully support.

This will probably be my last release for quite some time. The next version will be a maintenance & code cleanup release to optimize the performance for players with slower computers. If your computer is old, its probably not worth playing with the add-on pack, regardless.

----
1.98 release 7 is out. In terms of effort and functionality, it is a major release. Scoredoom now has support for Hexen and Zdoom Hub wads like Hell Factory as well as other minor fixes. The r7 add-on-pack has several new monsters.

----
Hello,

Just finished work on the latest (possibly my last) version of ScoreDoom. I thought I'd start a new thread since it is IMO, a considerable improvement over the last version. I also finally sorted out a website & forum for the mod.

There is a fairly verbose intro here: http://www.scoredoom.com which describes in detail what the mod is all about. There is a download link at the top.

At its core, ScoreDoom adds an arcade style points system without changing the core gameplay of Doom. This also includes a single player hi score system. Though I think competitive co-op is where it is most fun, like Halo3's campaign meta-game mod. Another aspect of ScoreDoom is that it adds a bunch of new Doom-like monsters and powerups to the mix, as well as taking advantage of Enjay's rip of the Bloodbath announcer. Virtually all of the extra content is based on what others have done, and I've given credit as best I can.
This extra content can removed by deleting the 'skins' directory if you hate it and prefer vanilla Doom content.

Briefly, the new version adds objective based points scoring, more balance with custom monsters. 2 new power ups: the UAC Sentry Turret and the UAC Smart Bomb. The Points Bunny 'Daisy' is back. and a lot of other improvements and bug fixes too numerous to mention.

Multiplayer-wise its built off of zdoom/gzdoom's networking so only LAN/WAN/faster internet games are probably worthwhile. With the gameplay part meeting my expectations, it would be cool to get proper client server code working as well as an online hi-score submission service... in my dreams though atm :P

Sweet!

EDIT: I did some testing with DOOM.wad, I found that you could obtain the supershotgun in Doom, which is a little weird, and could possibly pose problems if you can get the supershotgun in Shareware doom. I had not yet tested with Doom1.wad. I'm a little overwhelmed by the obnoxious amount of content, mainly of the new monsters and powerups, it kinda made the flow of gameplay easy, especially with the "Backpack Crammed with Ammo!" powerup that lets you hold 400 shotgun shells and 800 bullets, that was a little much.

Aside from that, I was releived that I could play it without all the powerups and weapons and new monsters.

The gameplay is fantastic, there are lots of ways to make points that I didn't expect such as obtaining keys, operating switches and doors that require those keys, causing monsters to fight, and more. I love the arcade feel of it. I'm gonna try and move files around and see if I can get this working with Skulltag, because this would be godly in invasion and coop servers!

OH, wow.

IF there was a way to incorporate this into Zdoom or Skulltag as a competitive cooperative mode...

@JohnnyRancid: Yes, just rename the 'skins' sub-dir to something else and it will get rid off all the custom content. If you want to keep the voice, just move the sd-artifacts and sdmonsters1.4 wads out of skins.
I imagined that some people would not like the custom content so I catered for that. I actually made the custom monsters easier in this version (lower HPs, closer to normal doom monsters) since I found it too hard even with the powerups etc.., but maybe I just suck.

Yes, I think that competitive co-op is where the most fun is (though trying to beat a hi score can be fun too in SP). Which is the main reason I made the mod, for friends and I to play together. For instance, in co-op, only the first player to get to a certain key, or to open a certain key-door, or to get to the exit will score the bonus points. Exploding a barrel even gives 5 points.

@Csonicgo & JohnnyRancid:
This is a source code port from gzdoom 1.029, so its more than just a pk3/wad mod. But if you have access to the skulltag source and can get it working with that, that would be awesome.

I initially wanted to build it with skulltag, but they don't release their source code unfortunately. Its understandable in a way, even though I'm pro open source.

EDIT: @Csonicgo: btw, this *is* Zdoom, it was built with gzdoom 1.0.29 and is exactly the same except for the points system & points HUD, if you play w.o. the 'skins' directory.

EDIT2: *IMPORTANT* If you choose not to use custom content at all, make sure that you change 'sd_artifacts=true' to 'sd_artifacts=false' in the zdoom-<yourusername>.ini file. Its possible to only have custom powerups (sd-artifacts.wad) or
only have custom monsters (sdmonsters1.4.wad). If you don't want custom powerups, you must also set 'sd_artificats=false'

Two things:

1. The "Objective Reached!" bonus for opening locked doors before anybody else is not given to you when opening doors that require all keys to open (like the example door on BOOMEDIT.WAD that requires all keycards and all skull keys to open, or the exit door on Community Chest 3 MAP29 that needs a key of each color to open,) or can be opened with any key (like the switch that opens the rocket launcher closet in the northwest of Community Chest 3 MAP05.)
  2. The Plasma Demon's animations are screwed up; instead of being, y'know, a variant of a Demon, it's a Dark Imp that randomly switches into some gibbed frames to attack, and when you kill it, the last frame of its death animation is the start of a gib animation. This is because the Phase Imp's sprites use the same names as the Plasma Demon's, and since they occur later in the .WAD directory, they end up overriding the Plasma Demon's sprites during gameplay. Either the Plasma Demon's sprites, the Phase Imp's sprites, or both monsters' sprites should be renamed, and their DECORATE lumps edited to match... especially since "DIMP" as a sprite name makes no sense whatsoever for the Plasma Demon.
Other than that, it's still cool as ever... Nice work!

EDIT (6/25/2008 5:05 PM PST:) Clarified the "renamed" sentence a bit.

The Green Herring, Thanks for the info and test wad links. The Plasma demon fix will be simple, just conflicting sprite names as you mention. I will look into the all keys problem. I'm thinking this should be doable, even though the zdoom code is weird for that type of stuff :-)

To enhance the arcadey feel to it, I'm gonna try to enhance scoredoom with various soundfx for score bonuses, such as a cash register 'cha-ching!' sound when you get chain kill bonuses. Also various other pinball machine-esque sounds for various other bonuses. If i can perfect it, I'll release it as an addition to your source port for anyone who is interested.

I think it would be neat if the number of the points you earned for killing the monster got displayed over the monster's head after you killed it. I was recently looking at Grand Theft Auto 2, and that game splashes huge translucent numbers on the screen displaying the amount of points you earned for running over that pedestrian, or blowing up that car, etc. If something like that could be done (besides the numbers showing up really small in the top left corner) that would be fantastic!

@The Green Herring: I have fixed it so it gives an award for 6-key doors. My next 2 questions are this: Do you have a Boom wad which has a 3-key door? That would be handy to test my fix. Also, can you have levels which can mix red, blue, yellow, 3-key & 6-key doors all in one?
(I guess I havent played enough wads like this.)
If you can link to a wad with a 3-key door, that will suffice.
(EDIT: Also a link to a wad with an 'any' key door will help too)
I also fixed the plasmademon phaseimp conflict, thanks again.

@JohnnyRancid: I sort of balked at points over heads myself, but it may be easier than I think. BTW, You can go into the zdoom options and enable large text for the HUD if the messages are too small for you at high resolution.

BilboHicks said:

@The Green Herring: I have fixed it so it gives an award for 6-key doors. My next 2 questions are this: Do you have a Boom wad which has a 3-key door? That would be handy to test my fix. Also, can you have levels which can mix red, blue, yellow, 3-key & 6-key doors all in one?
(I guess I havent played enough wads like this.)
If you can link to a wad with a 3-key door, that will suffice.
(EDIT: Also a link to a wad with an 'any' key door will help too)
I also fixed the plasmademon phaseimp conflict, thanks again

I specified an example of a map with a 3-key door: MAP29 of CC3 (which I linked to in my post,) which has a 3-key door as the door leading to the exit. As for the other question, I imagine that you could have a 3-key door which you can open after getting all keys of a specific type (keycards/skulls,) and then after that, there'd be a 6-key door that you can only open after getting all keys of the other type. Not that I've seen it before in a WAD I've played.

I also specified an example of a map with an "any key" door: CCHEST3.WAD MAP05. As I mentioned, there's a switch in the northwest of the map (linedef 768) that will open a closet containing a rocket launcher, but only if you have a key of any type.

For easier checking of both of these, try running the port with -nomonsters at the command line so you can wander around without hordes of enemies in the way.

Ah ok, you are ahead of me then :-) Thanks again for all the help. This will make it a lot easier for me to test my code fixes. I'm hoping that determining the difference between a 6-key,3-key and any-key door will be trivial. looking up the zdoom wiki is giving me some more info too.

Ok, I added support for any-key, 3-key and 6-key doors. I decided to give extra points for 3 & 6 key doors as well. AFAIK, this is fully compatible with Boom wads.

Zdoom supports a 'lockdefs' lump, which extends this in a way, but all keys are ultimately based on red, blue or yellow keys. So this should be a non-issue, and just aesthetics.

The thing is though, only the first door opened (albeit: red, blue, yellow, any-key, 3-key, 6-key) will register a bonus.
In KDIZD, level 1 there are 2 red doors (another one after the first one). Only the first door activated will give a bonus.
Not a big deal, but I'm thinking for instance, it may be possible for a level to have 2 any-key doors, so only the 1st any-key door will register a bonus. Very rare or maybe non-existent, but I *may* look into a more general solution for multiple same-key doors. But this fix should cover 99.9% of wads.

Uploaded v1.93r3. You can grab it from the 'download' link @ scoredoom.com

Another odd bug related to the Plasma Demon and Phase Imp (again!): All of the Phase Imp's frames are renamed D2MP... except for frame M, the "corpse laying on ground" frame, which is still named "DIMPM0." As a result, the Plasma Demon briefly turns into the Phase Imp for one frame during its death animation, and the Phase Imp vanishes into thin air just before it can hit the ground since the frame is not referred to in its DECORATE programming. Weird...

new version 1.86r6 is out, as well as a new corresponding add-on pack, downloadable from http://www.scoredoom.com

things new:
The chain bonus scoring has been trimmed down a lot from +30 a chain, since it just wound me up too much when I missed certain chains. IMO, The new chain scoring is definitely rewarding, but not too punishing. +5 minimum per chain bonus, with monsters 60hp and higher giving more points (10% of initial health).

Extreme death bonuses have also been added, and will basically double the kill bonus. An extreme death kill during a chain bonus, will also add the extreme death bonus to the base chain bonus, meaning that the kill bonus is effectively tripled. Thanks to Haloless0320 for coming up with the basic idea.

The BBA-16X.wad is now in the add-on pack instead.

No problem,I always thought of the whole High Score thing when I was playing the Mutiny.wad and you gibbed some poor bastard and you get a message saying "Ludricious Gibs!" (sp?)

EDIT:
@johnny rancid:That's a great idea,lemme know how that works out.

1.98 release 7 is out. In terms of effort and functionality, it is a major release. Scoredoom now has support for Hexen and Zdoom Hub wads like Hell Factory as well as other minor fixes. The r7 add-on-pack has several new monsters.

***EDIT:The original 1.98r7b add-on pack had problems with the death animations of a few of the monsters. This has
been fixed. Just re-download for the fixed version.***

Updated to 1.98 release 7b. This release is meant for players who use the SD custom monsters wad.
Before taking a hiatus, I decided to give support for custom Bosses for the standard Boss levels. Previously only the default Bosses with Doom & DoomII were allowed on these types of levels. The ScoreDoom 1.98r7bADDONPACK (sd-monsters1.7.wad) is required also.

Furthermore, this version also fully supports zdoom 'specialactions' lmp boss levels by not replacing 'Boss' type monsters, which the wad author has specially defined. Levels with 'behavior' (acs) lmps are also fully supported, since SD will not replace any monsters for these levels. ACS can utilize Thing IDs to reference entities, which SD custom monster replacements cannot fully support.

This will probably be my last release for quite some time. The next version will be a maintenance & code cleanup release to optimize the performance for players with slower computers. If your computer is old, its probably not worth playing with the add-on pack, regardless.

Updated to 1.98 Release 7d.
As usual, spoke too soon, I forgot to put in a major bug fix for SP, whereby the random counter for random item spawning got out of synch for loaded saved-games vs playing right through. Release 7d has the fix, fully compatible with the release 7c add-on packs.
grab here: http://www.scoredoom.com
------

Updated to 1.98 Release 7c.
can be grabbed here: http://www.scoredoom.com

Changes:
A bug fix for the scoring code, whereby the points for damage metted to monsters could be greater than the total health
of the monster (surprised I didnt catch this much earlier).
IMO, A vast improvement with the gameplay & gameplay difficulty when custom monsters are used from the sdmonsters addon-pack:
1. Player starting health and max health is now 200.
2. Monsters will regularly drop bonus health packs and armor when killed.
3. Some custom monsters behaviours are improved and tweaked (the Possessed Commander for instance)
4. A few more new monsters added.
5. Monster distributions are tweaked for more variety and for (hopefully) better gameplay

Probably my last update for the foreseeable future, due to time constraints and other interests on the horizon. I'm happy with leaving the mod in its current state, since its tweaked to how I like playing. I originally planned to rewrite some of the code so that much older computers wouldn't experience occasional slowdown, but that's probably not going to happen.

Hi there, I updated from version 7b to your new 7d.
And then I overwrited the files on the directory I used to play scoredoom, to run it, getting this error:

Script error, "DECORATE" line 4:
Actor PlayerPawnSD is already defined.

I deleted the .ini file, and I was still getting the same error, then I created a new directory and copy the files and the same...
I removed the SD-ARTIFACTS.WAD from skins directory and then the game started without the error ¿?

Now testing with plutonia 2 :)

If you use the key asigned to activate an item without the artifacts.wad, it throws an error, and drops the level that you are playing.

Crazy bonus:
http://alvinheregod.googlepages.com/DOOM0000.png
(My score ended in negative millons)
:D

I have other issues with new monsters gameplay: the imp-shadows are deafs and don't move (when they should be "spawning" from a hidden sector) and the ghosts that the Phantom throws can revive it just after you kill it, over and over...

And it seems that the afrit's circling fireballs make a "lag"-like effect (like the thor's dead bodies used to do), but I only have got that lag with 3 afrits on the same map (big maps) :3

Updated to 1.98 Release 7e
grab it and its 1.98r7eADDONPACK from http://www.scoredoom.com

*If you downloaded 1.98r7d or 1.98r7c, they were buggy*. my apologies
*If you downloaded the 1.98r7cADDONPACK, that was buggy, too.*

Changes in 1.98r7e:
A bug fix for a bug which was introduced in 1.98r7d. Artifacts were not spawning properly in SP.
Also added a better random seeding for spawning monsters and artifacts per level in SP based on wad names and current level name.
The add on pack was updated to fix a DECORATE conflict problem, since I forgot to update SD-ARTIFACTS.WAD in 1.98r7c.

--------

@alvinhere: The decorate problem is fixed now with the latest add on pack. Thanks for the info about the insane bonus, is it reproducible?
There was a problem I had on another wad which was doing some funky stuff with a Romero's Head which I had to compensate for, since it was giving a similar problem. I'm wondering if Plutonia 2 is doing something similar for that level. Will look into it. Which wad (if not pl2.wad) and level was it happening on? Any other info about this bug, I would appreciate. Thanks for the feedback, all duly noted if I add another patch.
edit: which imp-shadow are you talking about? The illus?, which fades out when it walks, and throws up a shield?

This is what happens in 1.98r7e when I try to load it with just SD-ARTIFACTS.WAD (and sd_artifacts=true in the .ini) in skins/, rather than both that and SDMONSTERS1.8.WAD (with appropriate settings) at the same time.

Thanks Man, this is fixed now.
I updated the Add-On pack as well as the main game download (another minor fix), so its worth re-downloading both again.

Now running again :)

The million bonus happened with the infight bonus, they start increasing for no aparent reason and with different infight dead monsters, starting to say like: first 5k, 23k, 350k, then millions of points, but this happened when I was playing LAN games, with an external wad map, like plutonia 1, plutonia 2, holyhell, etc... with the 7b version ;)

Now I just played some original doom2 maps with the 7e version, without getting this random crazy bonus fortunately (but I was not using any external level-wads files when testing).

This is an screenshot of map 16, after the monsters start spawning from an "hidden" sector, when you grab the blue key: there are some dudes just sitting still around: http://alvinheregod.googlepages.com/DOOM0001.jpg

@Greyghost: Thanks man.

@alvinhere: Cheers for the extra info. I play-tested the latest version with PL2.wad in multiplayer and I didnt see any bugs with the infighting bonuses fortunately. Very odd about that in 7b, not sure what would of caused it, though looking at the piece of code which does the calculation, I can see now that it could perhaps be tightened up with a couple more checks.
The shadow imp type there is indeed deaf. In it's decorate, it doesnt look when it is spawned. The hellrose though will never move :-)

*EDIT: Still wasn't entirely happy with my SP artifact randomization, so I updated scoredoom1.98r7e one last time! Also tightened up the suicide/infighting code* :P

My thoughts:

#1: Diabloist is a pain.
#2: Probably more monster infighting than needed.
#3: Some monsters appear to be really rare (such as the Balor).
#4: Loved the Demolisher. Nasty son-of-a-bitch.
#5: Some monsters replace both the Spider Mastermind and Cyberdemon (Hellsmith, Thamuz etc.)
#6: Phantoms can revive themselves if they summon a Wraith that revives it.

Yes, I see that the phantom does summon a boat load of wraiths.

Will consider fixing this if I do release another patch, though typically there should be enough ammo to strategize by taking out (most of) the wraiths first before taking out the Phantom.