Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

Youtube sucks now

You can add &fmt=18 at the end of a YT link to make it play the vid in better quality. Sometimes it even works to improve the quality of videos that don't have the option displayed.

It can have other effects too, such as fixing the squished look of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19O6ZaZWTTI

I'm pretty happy with low quality vids because they load faster. Streaming is something to see shorter stuff on the fly, not for hi fidelity viewing.

Youtube is awesome, there's an unbelievable amount of unique/rare material available (music videos are only one example) and I've never had any issues with dling and watching the vids or their quality.

People whining about video blogs and comments are hilarious. Don't watch them, don't read them, ffs all it takes is one click to hide the comments. Most of the comments on the videos I watch amount to 'cool/lame vid' anyway so I don't see what the problem is.

Belial said:

People whining about video blogs and comments are hilarious. Don't watch them, don't read them, ffs all it takes is one click to hide the comments.

They represent the values of our society. Fuck laws, it's Youtube. And if people want to broadcast their narcissistic and self-fellating disquisitions, fine. Let 'em. Just don't be surprised when people disagree.

Bad Youtube videos are like an elephant in the room. You almost can't ignore them anymore, like preteens or tweens or twats or whatever screaming at each other on the bus about spray-on-latex, panty liners, and sitting or squating whilst taking a shit. Youtube is just like every other group of people - a couple of winners, a whole lot of losers.

Espi said:

You can add &fmt=18 at the end of a YT link to make it play the vid in better quality. Sometimes it even works to improve the quality of videos that don't have the option displayed.

Coolest Youtube tip ever. Thanks mate.

Nightmare Doom said:

it also bows down to capitalist interests whenever a user violates 'copy right material' their video either gets taken down or even suspended which is very harsh (not to mention that take 2 was hunting down every GTAIV video and suspending whomever put them there for some unknown reasons).

Just putting it out there, but Doomworld also takes down material which is copyrighted (like posting Doom sprites and that.). But yes, I do find YouTube is now getting pretty horrible.

I can't find time to complain about it, as I've been enjoying watching a fat list of movies for free in real-time, without clogging up my hard drive. Thanks to Google Video and YouTube, I was finally able to find and experience the masterpiece known as Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky. I was also able to immediately see those animes that someone recommended to me in the cartoon thread. Oh, and when I said I watched Phantasm in the Doom 3 forum the other day? It was on Google Video.

gg Google.

In my opinion
Youtube is pretty bad but I always thought Myspace was worse
The option to comment pictures kind of made me embarassed to be a human.

I do use Youtube all the time. There are so many awesome things to do with it:

Find music videos
Find obscure movies
Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged
Watch documentaries
Find awesome sasquatch footage (and hilarious fakes)
Hilarious things like Powerthirst

Pretty much everything else on it is terrible.

Danarchy said:

Find awesome sasquatch footage (and hilarious fakes)

Are you suggesting that "footage" is different than "fakes"?

Danarchy said:

Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged

Heh that never gets old.

On topic, my dad did get a copyright infringement recently while the video was completely original. Other than that though I feel YT has evolved quite a bit for the better.

666442 said:

Too late. I already did one for my book. I used quantum physics to disprove the modern usage of the word "random" by teenagers.

Stupid? Yes. But sometimes I feel like making the effort.

Heh, awesome.

Me, I get mainly bothered when people use the word crazy. She's so crazy! I'm so crazy! Fuck that. I've seen crazy. They ain't crazy.

My only real problem with youtube stems from the comments that people can throw all over their videos. Ever since they were introduced it seems every video I watch has some sort of commentary plastered all over it, either because the person thinks they're funny or they think the viewer is too stupid to understand what's going on. Other than that, it seems about as fast as it used to, and copyright infringement is copyright infringement, so I can understand why they pull videos upon request. I doubt the monetary gain from Youtube is worth the lawsuits. I heard they were going to take down all firearm related videos but it seems they're still up. There's some really neat videos of AK-74SUs, M60s, MP40s and some stuff with Mikhael Kalishnikov on there that it would be a shame to lsoe.

A capital idea, however it's the actual comments that the 'authors' imbed in the videos that annoy me. Most of the ridiculously inflammatory comments are generally pretty funny, I just don't like the actual video being covered with comments. I do like the comment readback system they started, so people can gauge how unintelligent their comments are.

exp(x) said:

Are you suggesting that "footage" is different than "fakes"?

Yes.

You can hide comments, you can hide the "embedded" comments, so no big deal. I really don't use youtube a whole lot anymore, though. It's good to post a teaser or trailer or to find something quick that people are buzzing about, but I rarely read comments on any video. The only reason I scroll down from watching a video is to find another on the sidebar, if I feel like it. Reading comments is a complete and utter waste of time. Like many of you said, it's like listening to people yell at their TV. =)

The thread's title implies that YouTube totally didn't suck before.

Lüt said:
It's always sucked, if only for the awful video quality, skip-snaps of like 20-40 seconds, and inefficient playback.

That's relative. Compared to many other streaming services and sites, it's pretty functional, actually. Never mind those that require version 978 of WMP or they won't work.

YouTube is taking down a lot of AMV's (Anime Music Videos if you didn't know what that stood for). Which is really gay in my opinion. They took down a few of my favorite ones.

Imp said:

YouTube is taking down a lot of AMV's (Anime Music Videos if you didn't know what that stood for). Which is are really gay in my opinion.

There, fixed that for you.

Imp said:

YouTube is taking down a lot of AMV's (Anime Music Videos if you didn't know what that stood for). Which is really gay in my opinion. They took down a few of my favorite ones.

Good riddance.

My gameplay video of the commodore 64 transformers game was taken down due to copyright issues with the music. I didn't know that counted for bleeps and bloops of a theme song.

I'm not sure what youtube are basing all this on. They seem to be picking videos at random and taking them down. All mine see to be left intact, even considering most of them are direct gameplay videos (which would be more copyright infringement then some of the stuff I have seen taken down).

Typical example of free service with comprehensive terms of use being accused of trampling over the poor, hard working peasants who so valiantly defend freedom of expression by uploading all kinds of shit, lawsuits be damned. And if their crap is tagged as infringement of the ToS they do the most childish thing imaginable and point fingers at other things/people that 'deserve it more'. All in the meantime there's some armchair elite cadre mumbling under the shadows, holding a cup of brandy, gloating about how they've been saying aforementioned free service sucks, as if somehow the 90-10 rule of quality did not apply to a community-powered site.