Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MmM

Revenant possibly inspired by Fritz Leiber's work?

In Fritz Leiber's Fahrd & The Gray Mouser series of books (the bulk of which were written in the late 60s--early 70s) there are a sub-race of humans called ghouls that have transparent flesh--all you can see is their bones. They're like normal humans in all other respects. Now, as soon as I started reading the story with them in it, that immediantly got me thinking about Revenants.

Now, I know they're supposed to be reanimated demons and all that, but, in terms of physics, a creature that had transparent flesh would be more "realistic" than a skeleton that moves without the benefit of muscles or tendons. And, in "The Making of Doom 3" book, it states that the DOOM 3 Revenant, with its transparent sheath, was more in line with id's original conception for the creature.

We all know the id Software guys were into Dungeons & Dragons, and the Fahrd and The Gray Mouser series is of the sword & sorcery genre, so I don't think it too unlikely that one, or more, of id's members might have read some of them.

I'm just speculating here of course, but I have to wonder . . .

Well, the first Revenant was just an evil skeleton, which has been a ficticous monster dating before biblical times. In Doom 3, I think the transparent skin was just Kevin Cloud taking artistic licence, so that it didn't look too top heavy.

The name probably comes directly from D&D. As you know, the id guys used their D&D campaigns as part of their inspiration for their early games (up to DOOM and Quake). It includes a monster called revenant which is a corpse that gets up to take revenge or the like. It's like a zombie but tougher, smarter and animated out of sheer will and hate rather than external sorcery. It originally appeared in a British monster compilation for AD&D called the Fiend Folio.

D&D was influenced by fantasy authors like Leiber or Tolkein, who themselves included undead people of different sorts. The 1st Edition Dungeon Masters Guide for AD&D has an appendix recommending various fantasy authors and series, including the stories by Leiber you mention.

There may be some literature that uses "revenant" in the way it was used in the games (a walking corpse) but I know it's a way of saying "ghost" anyway.