Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Georgef551

Circuit City Goes Under

If you purchased anything from Circuit City, and you purchased an extended warranty, you'll need to do some homework to get your money back on your warranty. Call your state government for assistance, if you need it.
Circuit City has been hemoraging cash, and could not get any loans to help keep the buisness running as usual, so now they're out of cash, and are closing all their remaining stores. They are the #2 electronics chain at least here in New England, and probably in most of the States.

Now would also be a good time to get that new TV you wanted (or whatever).

Gift cards are still being honored during the liquidation.

EDIT: This does not affect Canadian stores, just the ones in the States.

For more information: http://circuitcity.com

Hmm, could be because online electronic stores are a helluvalot cheaper than retail chains, and more and more people are finding this out. I'm guessing its also the same situation places like Hollywood Video and Blockbuster Video are having because of Netflix and the like.

Well, I might take a look at the local one, might be able to buy a nice TV for a good price!

According to their website, their extended warranties are backed by third-party companies for fifteen years or so, so your warranty should be okay if you got something from them.

lol

i was holding 20000 shares of CCTYQ @ .16 yesterday and sold

sucks for those who were watching it in real time that it tanked to 0.05 in an instant

999cop said:

lol

i was holding 20000 shares of CCTYQ @ .16 yesterday and sold

sucks for those who were watching it in real time that it tanked to 0.05 in an instant

Doesn't someone have to buy the shares that you sold? (I don't know too much about stocks).

I wonder who bought them?

In a falling market it's a bit like playing "pass the bomb" but yes, someone has to buy them. Most likely a day trader or someone who'd placed a buy order with a broker. Either way their aquisition's looking like money down the drain.

This is exactly why I refuse to get involved in the stock market, ever.

Bloodshedder said:

I wasn't aware anybody actually bought those extended warranties (vis-à-vis scams).

Same here.

Bloodshedder said:

I wasn't aware anybody actually bought those extended warranties (vis-à-vis scams).

Coming from someone working retail whose duty it is to try and force these extended warranty plans down the throats of customers, people do buy them, because a lot of people simply don't know any better.

AgentSpork said:

Coming from someone working retail whose duty it is to try and force these extended warranty plans down the throats of customers, people do buy them, because a lot of people simply don't know any better.

I worked at Staples and that was my sole job, apparently. Forget knowing fuck-all about whatever it was I was selling, just get that warranty on the motherfucker.

The only thing I've ever bought an extended warranty on is tires. Because quite frankly they're expensive, and I seem to have a habit of getting flats from screws, nails, bullet casings, etc, and getting flats is a completely random event and I'd rather pay 20 bucks now and know all four can be replaced for free. Everything else that I've had that's failed has failed outside of when any warranty would've still been valid.

I passed by the Circuit City that used to be next to the Barnes&Noble at 86th street in NYC. Shame that they're closing. I also remember the location in Union Square.

I'll say this, they didn't really have a clue on what videocards to sell. They also mis-priced a couple of pc games.

My brother bought an extended warranty on an LCD TV he just purchased. I keep telling that idiot to get a refund before 30 days but he won't fucking listen.

Pure Hellspawn said:

Doesn't someone have to buy the shares that you sold? (I don't know too much about stocks).

I wonder who bought them?

yeah, someone who was betting that CC would find a buyer picked up my shares, people were hoping that the Mexican billionaire Salina as the biggest shareholder (28% as of Nov, 2008) would buy out the company

I never really bought anything there, and whenever I went in, the place always seemed like it was on the brink of extinction. Nothing you could get there that you couldn't get (usually cheaper) either online or at Best Buy.

I had one close to my place. Went in there right befor they closed and got a lcd tv for 45% off. If you have one close keep an eye on the sale signs on the door. They would change them when the prices drop befor they close. But, from what I was told 45% off was the lowest they where going to go.

Bloodshedder said:

A lot of items don't need one of those, and if something needed fixing, the cost of repair, or a few repairs, would equal the extended warranty.
HOWEVER, projectors, and rear projection TV's should be purchased with an extended warranty. These items are known to fail, and especually the TV's, the costs can be very expensive. Some even include bulb replacements, which really helps (those puppies can be around $300-$700 apiece!).

=( this sucks! Circuit City was always better than Best Buy, and it's not even that far from my pad. What a bummer! ^^'

Chu said:

Circuit City was always better than Best Buy

What alternate universe do you live in?

as an employee of a company that sells 50% of our products through Cicuit City, this is a bit concerning

exp(x) said:

Exactly what I was thinking. I almost posted something like "that's what they get for sucking more than Best Buy, and Best Buy isn't even that great".

Creaphis said:

Relax. Somebody still has to clean the empty offices.

lol. Im only a part time Janitor for a high school. The company I work for full time distributes electronics

The liquidation sale started Sat. Guess it is time to go have a look at what can be had for steep discounts.

HD monitor for 200 bucks. Online for 350. I have found enlightenment.

I've always wondered how Blockbuster Video and Radio Shack have stayed in business. Eventually I probably won't be.

exp(x) said:

One that I like to save money in. Best Buy has always been super expensive over here so that's why I did all of my shopping at Circuit City.