Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pure Hellspawn

Custom Monster and Weapons Award Thread

I was interested of what monsters people like. I have always been a fan of custom monsters made for ZDoom, such as the Afrit (just as an example).

Here are some I like (from GZScoreDoom, a custom monster mod I have been playing recently)

Weak Monsters (Trooper, Sergeant, Chaingunner, Imp, Demon, Lost Soul) : Suicide Bomber. I like how this monster goes around screaming (AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!) all day long until it finally manages to blow itself up, for some major damage to any unlucky soul that doesn't resist explosions.

Medium Monsters (Cacodemons, Knights, Arachnotrons, Mancubi, Revenants, Pain Elementals):

Maxibus. A radioactive fat monster who apparently looks like it ate too many contaminated burgers at McDonalds. It attacks in two ways; the first way is by firing 3 powerful bolts than can do some serious damage, and the second is by continuous plasma blasts from both it's arms. Oh boy.

Strong Monsters (Barons, Archviles, Spiderdemons, and Cyberdemons):

Demolisher. This monster is a modified Spider mastermind that is sheer power. It had it's chaingun removed and replaced with a big BFG launcher. And to make matters even worse, it got 2 chainguns installed below it's BFG, which it fires immediately after firing the BFG either once or twice.

Weapons
Weak:

WRW's Harpoon. You could do some amazing tricks with pretty much any monster with this weapon. Try circle strafing and pulling a monster with a low body mass!

Medium:

Random Projectile Launcher. You never know what it will summon and if it's gonna help you. One day it might summon guided souls, the other you might be ambushed by a baron and it summons 5 rockets, killing both you and the baron. A very nice weapon.

Strong:

This is a hard one. I liked the AEOD's Hell Heaven Weapon. A very deadly attack, and a defence-attack that leaves you invulnerable at the cost of ammo. Very nice.

I don't really like many of the custom monsters. There are a few that I do like though. Blood Demons, due particularly to their robotic soundfx. Chainsaw Zombies are pretty cool too because a lot of maps these days (especially ones where ammo is lacking) don't have chainsaws, and these guys are an easy chainsaw delivery. I like Railgun arachnatrons because if any monster looked more deserving of weilding a railgun, it would be an arachnatron. Also Terrors (the lost souls that make a deadly explosion when they die) are pretty neat too.

I can't say I like any custom weapons though.

I can't say much here because I haven't played enough new maps which use custom monsters. But theoretically, I like the Cyber Mastermind and Heresy Lord the most.

The Cyber Mastermind rocks because it's just a combination between the two standard Doom boss monsters, nothing more, but it works. No extra plasma, no extra railbullets, just a combination of the already existing instant-hit chaingun and splash-damage rocket. Only problem I see is the vulnerability to BFG (due to Spiderdemon size) but he can splatter you any time with his newly acquired rocket launcher, unlike standard Spiderdemons. :) And you can't just circle in front of him, either, as with standard Cyberdemons. Overall, a cool (and twisted) monster that retains its Doomish feeling and typical simplicity, and can even be recreated in vanilla Doom Dehacked. I just wanna find a wad that uses these in creative ways.

The Heresy Lord may also win because I say he looks cool with those gargoyle wings, like classic demons. And he's higher-classed than Barons, so the demon wings fit. His boosted-up multiplasmaball attack adds to the power. And the name ain't bad either.

I like the rocket trooper that first appeared in Obituary. And in KDiZD that dark fast creature (Shadow Imp?) was cool, and those Hellraiser style spinning cubes.

Tetzlaff said:

And in KDiZD that dark fast creature (Shadow Imp?) was cool

Agreed; the Shadow is one of my favorite custom monsters. A lot of the ones from KDiZD are pretty high-quality, really, with a few exceptions.

I consider myself a custom weapons fanatic, so here's my top list...

5. Blunderbuss (Urban Brawl)
While this weapon was only intended as the deus ex machina used to defeat the final boss of the game, the ability to summon it in any other level adds all kinds of fun to it. Just plain ludicrous. I think it's actually possible to beat the Village People with one shot of this.

4. SUSAN Blaster (Zero Tolerance)
Zero Tolerance didn't get a very wide release (I might have to contact Zero Prophet and ask if it's okay to rehost, it's a great mod that needs exposure) but this is one of the few mods I can think of that does away with the shotguns entirely and replaces them with legitimately usable weapons in their own right. The basic shotgun is now the SUSAN blaster pistol, which shoots a small concentration of plasma projectiles. This weapon defines careful shooting. Just a quick single shot of this sends the blast straight ahead, but holding the trigger spreads the shots out. If you're trying to fire it point blank, it hurts a little bit, but not enough to be punishing. It also has a damned cool reloading animation.

3. Plasma SMG's (Zen Dynamics)
This is probably the most fun automatic weapon I've used in a while. While I don't usually think akimbo weapons are good (often they end up as a substitute for a different, more unique kind of weapon with the same kind of function), the Plasma SMG's appeal to me with their sleek design, relatively quick reload, and not-just-a-hitscan aesthetics. It really feels like I'm dishing out the hurt with these things, even if they don't do so much damage.

2. M-211 Military Rifle (Immoral Conduct)
Powerful, accurate, and with the coolest firing sound I've ever heard, realism be damned. This is the best use of the Doom Alpha rifle graphics, bar none.

1. Vortex Rifle (Grenades 'n' Stuff)
Yes, my number one weapon is a DeHackEd weapon. This BFG replacement stands out to me as one of the best superweapons to have ever graced a weapon mod, and even though its operation is very simple, it is probably the single most satisfying weapon I've ever had the joy of firing.

Another one of my favorites is the "SJAS" Ghoul. Ghoul2.wad still startles to this day.

I think there should be a Cacoward nomination for the best Custom Monster and Weapon (in fact, that was what I was thinking when I made this thread).

WildWeasel said:

5. Blunderbuss (Urban Brawl)
While this weapon was only intended as the deus ex machina used to defeat the final boss of the game, the ability to summon it in any other level adds all kinds of fun to it. Just plain ludicrous. I think it's actually possible to beat the Village People with one shot of this.

I know I made it... but this is one of the best weapons I have ever created for Doom. It was added late in production, but I love it. There is something special and satisfying about grabbing the largest, most powerful weapon in the entire game... and being able to use it once. It gave it a certain mystique all the other weapons lack.

CodenniumRed said:

A cacoward for those categories would be a GREAT idea imho.

And I wouldn't mind writing them, either. Just give me a buzz and I'd be happy to oblige.

What then, Cacowards for best custom texture? Best custom flat? Best Sound replacement?

No, sorry, awards only go to projects, not minor replacements. It carries the theme set by 10 years of doom, awarding best maps.

With risk of being considered a shameless plugger, I think the Hellraiser in Nimrod is totally fucking sweet. Oniko made it and in Legacy it even got two different uses. You can fire it straight on and the explosion is spread regularly. Or you can fire it into the ceiling and there's a pillar of fire emitting from that spot down to the floor. This doesn't work out too well in Skulltag though. But there you can use spread rune and cause some major chaos with it.

It do have bugs though. In DM you can use it to lower your opponent's frag count. And sometimes there'll be pillars of fire that never go away for some reason.

kristus said:

In DM you can use it to lower your opponent's frag count

WARNING: ignorant observations ahead.

that's becuase the engine doesn't know what killed the player, or it detected that something usually unrelated to the player killed your opponent. whether it be a dehacked monster make into an explosion, or something new entirely..... thus (be default) subtracting a frag from the player's score. yeah, it sucks, and made the crazy gun in ARMAS19.wad unusable in Deathmatch.

Zdoom however, tells the player what exactly killed him, and hacky weapons usually reveal their secrets through obit messages. Through observation of zdoom's obits in a deathmatch, the crazy gun I mentioned earlier actually uses lost soul , pain elemental and barrel codepointers.

I don't need an explanation for it. It's obvious why. Though it's not useless. first of all, you can get frags with it. Usually is if you get a bad hit that will subtract a frag. But if the player is caught in the fire, then you will get a frag.
Second, it's not a bad thing to be able to "steal" your opponent's frags really.

I've not played Armas19 (since I hate pointless weapon mods) but it sounds like it's using the same basics.

Scuba Steve said:

What then, Cacowards for best custom texture? Best custom flat? Best Sound replacement?

No, sorry, awards only go to projects, not minor replacements. It carries the theme set by 10 years of doom, awarding best maps.

Pheww.. Im relieved that Cacowards shot down that suggestion.

Guess I'll be doing that at the Armory then (providing I can remember to do anything with the idea - Doom Armory is pretty neglected these days).

And the Cacoward for the best placement of a Medikit/stimpack in a vanilla compatible level goes to...

Kyka said:

And the Cacoward for the best placement of a Medikit/stimpack in a vanilla compatible level goes to...

me

For crap I take the job :D

More seriously, some ratings with 5 stars like Youtube or any other board could be interesting in your yearly cacowards.

Something like :

Graphic : xx
Music : xxx
Design : xxxxx
Gameplay : xxx

Global : xxxx

Monsters: Most of the Imp and Demon variants that are more than just recolors, like the Soul Harvester and Shadow (Imp) or the Mauler and the Blood Demon (Demon). Also, the Hectebus for some reason. It's just a giant recolored Mancubus firing Baron projectiles, but it's damn scary! Also, the Caco Lich and the Cacophyte.

Weapons: Dunno, I can't remember any right now that I really liked.

iceman57 said:

More seriously, some ratings with 5 stars like Youtube or any other board could be interesting in your yearly cacowards.

Something like :

Graphic : xx
Music : xxx
Design : xxxxx
Gameplay : xxx

Global : xxxx

The inclusion of numbers into a review automatically lowers its intellectual merit by 50%.

Creaphis said:

The inclusion of numbers into a review automatically lowers its intellectual merit by 50%.

6 out of 10 people surveyed thought the true numerical value of lowered merit was closer to 75%.

Actually while were talking about custom monsters, how the fuck do you fight the diabloist? You basically have your health get erased just by looking at it. I've played a Skulltag invasion wad with a bunch of these things and I couldn't figure out how to defend myself from em without consistently having my ass handed to me.

JohnnyRancid said:

Actually while were talking about custom monsters, how the fuck do you fight the diabloist? You basically have your health get erased just by looking at it. I've played a Skulltag invasion wad with a bunch of these things and I couldn't figure out how to defend myself from em without consistently having my ass handed to me.

Yeah, I have to ask the same thing. I have no idea how to play ZPack e2m9 for that reason.