Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy

problem importing custom midis to replace old midis

For example, when I try to replace D_E1M1 using wintex50, with a custom midi renamed to D_E1M1 I get an error. I think the original file is a .mus, rather than .mid
What can I do about this??

Luckily, most source ports don't need .mus files. Most will play midis just fine. Unless you're going for total vanilla compatibility, just import a midi into your wad file and rename the entry to D_E1M1. Your first post is not descriptive enough (at least for me to be able to troubleshoot). Can you attach a screen shot or be more descriptive on what error(s) you receive?

Doom95 requires MUS, but the DOS executables don't.

Jeremy said:
For example, when I try to replace D_E1M1 using wintex50, with a custom midi renamed to D_E1M1 I get an error.

An error in Wintex? Are you trying to modify the IWAD or to place it in a PWAD?

If I am not mistaken, Wintex tries to read a MUS lump, and complains if it finds something else (such as a MIDI), when you try to load music into a WAD.

Instead, load your MIDI as some random lump, like ENDOOM, using the "data" button (and when browsing there's a "see all files" option to bypass seeing only files using WinTex's ENDOOM file extension). The use the "guru only" feature that remanes a lump to rename it to D_E1M1.

myk said:

Doom95 requires MUS, but the DOS executables don't.

I thought MUS was required, but it seems the later EXEs added MIDI support. My bad.

It was discovered more or less by accident, as the id guys didn't generally go into details about lump formats and there weren't any MIDIs in the IWADs to serve as examples. It must have been added back when Dave D. Taylor released midi2mus. While coding the app he probably also applied a similar converter into the executable.

myk said:

It was discovered more or less by accident, as the id guys didn't generally go into details about lump formats and there weren't any MIDIs in the IWADs to serve as examples. It must have been added back when Dave D. Taylor released midi2mus. While coding the app he probably also applied a similar converter into the executable.

My first experience importing music into Doom was version 1.2, I think. I remember trying to import a MIDI and running into some problems with that. I had just assumed Vanilla required MUS entries for music from there on.

Jeremy, if you're still running into issues with WinTex and importing MIDI lumps, try XWE. It's really slick.

Thanks to the both of you! Your knowledge has been very useful.
Once I get back into the hang of this I will be releasing some sprite/texture packages in the not so distant future.

Lich said:

My first experience importing music into Doom was version 1.2, I think. I remember trying to import a MIDI and running into some problems with that. I had just assumed Vanilla required MUS entries for music from there on.

Jeremy, if you're still running into issues with WinTex and importing MIDI lumps, try XWE. It's really slick.

Once imported through XWE, don't forget to set "Doom Midi" by pressing the button or the music will not work.
Another way is DMMUSIC and MIDI2MUS, once converted in MUS (don't forget to set the BPM manually) you may upload it.

iceman57 said:

Once imported through XWE, don't forget to set "Doom Midi" by pressing the button or the music will not work.

Do what?

You need to force conversion of an imported MIDI to a MUS or the WAD would be corrupted.
Don't ask me why by importing the format is wrote ".MUS" in XWE while it's still a regular "MIDI". Maybe a bug...

That's unnecessary, and relies on midi2mus. Import the lump as raw data and you can have an unmodified MIDI in the PWAD.

Doesn't run on all versions, believe me... get a LMP default once the music loaded, or no music...

Active conversion to MUS is the unique valid way...

iceman57 said:
Doesn't run on all versions, believe me...

In Doom95, Microsoft's Doom port, it doesn't. If that's a concern, yes, using MUS is recommended, but Doom95 nowadays is not very important, in my opinion. Its mouse does not work on modern systems, it was only a decent but not optimal alternative in Windows 9x (which can run the original anyway), and it's being discontinued as the engine in the game boxes.

MIDI guarantees that the file isn't modified, is directly editable, and can be removed from the PWAD with any WAD tool and played with a MIDI compatible player (when only a few support MUS). It's valid because the id programmers specifically added support in Doom for (some) MIDIs at one point.