Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Super Burrow

need help recording demos

does anyone know a good source port to record demos with? im new to source ports and recording demos so please give info on how to record on the source port given thank you.

All doom source ports should be able to use the mandatory -record command. From vanilla and chocolate doom to Zdoom, its all the same. Compatibility is known to be different (an obvious example being prboom+ can't load zdoom demos).

The commands are external, not in the game while running it.

The easiest way to use the command line for this in Windows is to make a shortcut to the (source port) executable. Then edit this shortcut (with right click, properties) and add any extra commands in the target field (which already contains the full path to the executable).

I put the wad I want to record on inside the prboom-plus folder. Then go to start/run (actually I press windows key/ 'r') and type something like this:

C:\prboom-plus-2.5.0.1-win32\prboom-plus.exe -file eaxt -skill 4 -warp 02 -complevel 1 -nomusic -record eaxtggg1

Then press enter.

After you do it once windows seems to remember your last few entries, so you don't have to type it all again.

I've learned to press this sequence of keys really fast (since I have to push all that every time I die) heh:
Esc, up, Enter, y, windows key, r, enter

gggmork said:

Esc, up, Enter, y

Easier: set the "Quit" key to Y. Then a double tap on the Y key exits the program really quickly. I assume you also have "Fast Exit" turned on, as this avoids an annoying wait.

gggmork said:

-complevel 1

Don't use that. It emulates Doom/Doom2 version 1.666, which presumably isn't what you want. It's -complevel 2 for Doom(2).exe 1.9 and -complevel 3 for emulation of Ultimate Doom.

theres a part that says -nomusic on gggmorks command example. what do i do if i want music or do i ignore it and dont put it with the command?

Oops, I just mimicked the complevel from vile's text file. Great yy tip, I'll use that (and yeah I have fast exit on).

tell me if this looks fine or not because it says it cant find it or something (im using windows xp home edition if it has anything to do with this problem)

"C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\Desktop\PrBoom+\glboom-plus_fast.exe -file scythe.wad -skill 4 -warp 02 -complevel 2 -record scythemax1"

and yes i do have the scythe.wad i just dont know whats wrong.

Super Burrow said:

yeah ill try that oh and great videos tatsurd

However, there are a lot of great skill players on the forum.
I have good dooming skill as a doomer, but I have normal or a bit low skill as a speedrunner.

i guess practice makes perfect but lets end this conversation before we get way too off topic i dont want to get in trouble. anyways can anyone tell me if this looks fine or not because it says it cant find it or something (im using windows xp home edition if it has anything to do with this problem)

"C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\Desktop\PrBoom+\glboom-plus_fast.exe -file scythe.wad -skill 4 -warp 02 -complevel 2 -record scythemax1"

and yes i do have the scythe.wad i just dont know whats wrong.

I might be wrong but I tried from the desktop like that before long ago and seem to remember it not finding it as well. Probably if you use c: instead it would work. That's why I put prboom-plus and zdoom in c instead of the desktop.

Probably someone who knows computers could make it work- maybe its something dumb like needing underscores in some of the folder names. Or maybe the desktop has some stupid windows privacy something-er-ather.

ok guys im going to bed ill do this when i get up in the morning thanks for the help. it got me through some of this stuff. if you got any ideas on what the problem is just post it and ill read it when i have the chance so good night guys.

ok im back again and heres what i have for my command line.

so far its still saying can not find. its based on what gggmork example was but i changed it for my stuff. if anyone can edit this so it could work id be grateful oh and im sorry for all this dident think it would take this long just to get it to work heh

Does it say it can't find scythe.wad? Is scythe.wad also in the PrBoom+ folder?

never mind i finally got it to work yay!!!! thank you guys i have a lmp. file now!!!!!!!!! ok now all i need to do is watch it is there anything i have to do for that or do i just double click it?

ok heres my first test demo its has a sloppy gameplay because my controlls were not setup but it worked!!!! yay!!! oh and i found out how to play demos too.

Yes, WinRAR will do. Just tell it to make a ZIP instead of a RAR file. Include a text file much like those you see in the demos people upload (this forum is full of them).

Your test was successful. The demo is the intended format, and the way you have packaged it and the style of text-file is exemplary.

I look forward to your future demos.

ok ill keep that in mind tatsurd. i just can't wait to make videos for youtube!!! yay!!! i put your names in the credits section just to let you guys know heheh. oh and im also posting them here too.