Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Obesity is Contagious

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,482788,00.html

---
Obesity can be "caught" as easily as a common cold from other people's coughs, sneezes and dirty hands, scientists said Monday.

The condition has been linked to a highly-infectious virus which causes sniffles and sore throats.

Nikhil Dhurandhar, an associate professor at The Pennington Biomedical Research Center, in Baton Rouge, La., said the virus, known as AD-36, infects the lungs then whisks around the body, forcing fat cells to multiply and also causing sore throats.

"When this virus goes to fat tissue it replicates, making more copies of itself and in the process increases the number of new fat cells, which may explain why the fat tissue expands and why people get fat when they are infected with this virus," Dhurandhar said.

In one test, a third of obese people had the rare and highly contagious virus compared to just 11 percent of thinner people. Weight gain can last three months until the body has built up resistance to the bug.

---

So Americans aren't lazy after all? It's just a bunch of viruses making us fat. All this excercise and dieting merchandise is a bunch of BS.

Ugh.

Cue thousands of stupid overweight hambeasts complaining that they are ill rather than lazy and greedy while chowing down their hamburgers.

JohnnyRancid said:

So Americans aren't lazy after all? It's just a bunch of viruses making us fat. All this excercise and dieting merchandise is a bunch of BS.

Time for those ice cream makers to bring back the half-gallons, and the giant spoons.

JohnnyRancid said:

In one test, a third of obese people had the rare and highly contagious virus compared to just 11 percent of thinner people.

"Rare and highly contagious" strikes me as a contradiction in terms though it appears the best way to avoid the virus is by maintaining a healthy body weight.

I think they let this article fly about 2 months too early. Early April Fools!

Funny how I've been around fat people all my life and I'm still skinny. A little hole in the theory, there...

Lich said:

Funny how I've been around fat people all my life and I'm still skinny. A little hole in the theory, there...

Maybe you are resistant to the virus. In that case, lucky you! Either that or this is an April Fool.

Did any of you actually read the damn article? Even if it's true (which I doubt), it doesn't explain 2/3 of obese individuals and it only lasts for three months among those who do. This isn't a validation of overweight people.

alexz721 said:

Did any of you actually read the damn article? Even if it's true (which I doubt), it doesn't explain 2/3 of obese individuals and it only lasts for three months among those who do. This isn't a validation of overweight people.

Nah, we just like ripping on fat people.

alexz721 said:

But all most of the fat people will read is the headlines (not dissing fat people here, I'm sure most of any people read just the headlines) so they aren't going to know any better anyway.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

The fact that it's Fox News says it all. I wonder how much the pharmaceutical corporations are expecting to make from their article increasing sales of some obesity pill.

Actually, it made the other networks as well, so there'smerit to the story, at least in it's presentation.
I'm sure the companies will make a pill, and force doctors to push-push-push! If it helps the doc's bottom line, they'll do it, and will also help the pharmasudical companies.

Fox News lifted the story from one of Murdoch's UK tabloids - hardly a credible source.

I've waited years for a pharmaceutical company to market a pill that cures gullibility - anyone care to hazard a guess as to how much longer I'll have to wait?

GreyGhost said:

I've waited years for a pharmaceutical company to market a pill that cures gullibility - anyone care to hazard a guess as to how much longer I'll have to wait?

You could use a placebo...curing gullibility with gullibility.

Danarchy said:

You could use a placebo...curing gullibility with gullibility.

Been there - done that. They worked for a while, then my blood sugar levels rose sharply and I started showing signs of addiction so my doctor took me off them. Now I'm back to being gullible - bummer. :(

alexz721 said:

This isn't a validation of overweight people.

Fat people often clutch to any straw. How many times do you hear something like "Yeah, well some people can't help it. It's their metabolic rate (etc)"? Well, fine, maybe that gives a reason for a tiny percentage. The rest are just putting more energy through their cake holes than they are using up.

Let's face it, you just don't get a film of a famine torn country with queues of skinny, starving people waiting for their Red Cross hand out of a bowl of slop made from a handful of millet with one fat famine victim standing there saying "I can't help it, it's my glands", do you?

The absolute, no-nonsense bottom line to the issue is that where there's a fat person, you can bet that the underlying cause is something that person is responsible for, or can manage. This is the truth the vast majority of the time. I would be surprised if the underlying cause is something out of the person's control for more than one percent of the time.

Guess what else is contagious? Cooties and Retard. Also, hunger and dehydration are contagious diseases spread by coughing.

When a friend of mine got the contagious fat virus, he worked out and ate healthy. He became very lean and muscular. I think there is a flaw in the logic with the fat disease. I know there is no fat disease.

This is ridiculous, this is bullshit.

A 'tard virus - just what I've been looking for. I'll train it to jump the ultimate species barrier - from carbon to silicon-based hosts and back - then let it loose here. :-)