Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Brandon D. Lade

Some new levels are out!

Well, if you are looking for some new levels to play, today seems to be one of your days! In /idgames, there are not 1, but 2 new multi-level wads out, both of which run on GZDoom and look to be high quality with lots of monsters. The first one, Darkness, has 3 new very large and detailed maps. The second one, Titan 2, has 10 new maps, medium-large in size, and as you may have predicted, it is the sequel to Titan, which was released several years ago. Hope you enjoy and feel free to leave comments here as you look them over.

Edit (1/23/09): I changed all 3 links to point to the page on the Doomworld /idgames database, so that it would be convenient to leave comments there. Seems as if Moti loved both of the new wads :).

Well, I submitted my review of Titan 2 to the /newstuff chronicles (it was open and I decided to take it). And I just saw that it has been approved for publishing! Well, so sometime soon, you should see my first /newstuff review since I joined these forums about 3 months ago. And let me tell you: it is a good review at that! (But I won't spoil the surprise.)

Mad Butcher said:

High/Low 3 by Chris Hansen is available at his website.

http://www.windward.dk/TDR/

Sorry, I see it now. It might have been there for days. I expected it to be the top wad listed, since it was his latest wad, but instead it is well down on the page, which comfused me and I missed it. Thanks for pointing this out.

However, when I looked in /newstuff, it was updated, but highlow3.zip was rejected "at author's request". I have never seen this reason for a reject before. Does anyone know what is going on, or if not, does Chris Hansen (the author) have a PM or Email I can use?

Someone compared Darkness to Tormentor's works. He was kinda right, at its best it does look like Tormentor's stuff, although there are quite some lopsided parts in the third map. But at the same time, these maps also play a lot like Tormentor's most stuff does: Boring, uninspired and pointless. At best the gameplay is average, with some really horrible parts in there (the whole early parts of map02, the drill "boss fight", the blue key room in map03, the yellow key in map03...). The maps are also almost completely made out of freaking corridors. I should start a drinking game next time I pick up a mapset for an advanced port on corridors. Could get drunk really fast.

...it really ticks me off to see good looking maps with a lot of time put into them which end up playing like this. It just doesn't make any sense!

Jodwin said:

Someone compared Darkness to Tormentor's works. He was kinda right, at its best it does look like Tormentor's stuff, although there are quite some lopsided parts in the third map. But at the same time, these maps also play a lot like Tormentor's most stuff does: Boring, uninspired and pointless. At best the gameplay is average, with some really horrible parts in there (the whole early parts of map02, the drill "boss fight", the blue key room in map03, the yellow key in map03...). The maps are also almost completely made out of freaking corridors. I should start a drinking game next time I pick up a mapset for an advanced port on corridors. Could get drunk really fast.

...it really ticks me off to see good looking maps with a lot of time put into them which end up playing like this. It just doesn't make any sense!

I was the one who made the comparison. Why do you say it doesn't make sense to you that good looking maps would play like this?

Brandon D. Lade said:

I was the one who made the comparison. Why do you say it doesn't make sense to you that good looking maps would play like this?

Because it doesn't make any sense to put so much effort into making a map look good and then make the gameplay and layout so dull that no one has any real reason to play it.

Edit: After having played the map, it appears that the primary focus was on detailing and ZDoom feature bonanza, but I wouldn't consider it to be particularly strong in its usage of either of those things, either. ><

Brandon D. Lade said:

Sorry, I see it now. It might have been there for days. I expected it to be the top wad listed, since it was his latest wad, but instead it is well down on the page, which comfused me and I missed it. Thanks for pointing this out.

However, when I looked in /newstuff, it was updated, but highlow3.zip was rejected "at author's request". I have never seen this reason for a reject before. Does anyone know what is going on, or if not, does Chris Hansen (the author) have a PM or Email I can use?

First of all, thanks for the interest in the level. The reason it got rejected was by my request because of a very simple mistake on my part. I had dated the release as January 2008 instead of January 2009. A very minor error, I know. It has been re-uploaded to the archieves.

Chris Hansen said:

First of all, thanks for the interest in the level. The reason it got rejected was by my request because of a very simple mistake on my part. I had dated the release as January 2008 instead of January 2009. A very minor error, I know. It has been re-uploaded to the archieves.

I see it in /incoming again. I downloaded it from your site your site and it looks like a good map. Pretty large level, too. What do you plan on making next?

However, what's the big deal if a release has the wrong date?

It's just me being really finicky. But I guess most people, including the ones maintaining the archieves, will appreciate that the content is correct. I knew I would.

I have two ideas at the moment for the next project. I will either pick up my almost ancient Flay The Obscene 4 or High/Low 4. Both of them can be found at WADs In Progress.

Hmmm… I played “Darkness”, but I’m stuck here after I've activated the switch: Picture.

Also: I think it is way too hard on skill 1. It should not be that hard to implement difficulties. Maybe you want to make an update where you change something for skill 1, because I think the average doom player will have their problems with it…

Deeforce said:

Hmmm… I played “Darkness”, but I’m stuck here after I've activated the switch: Picture.

Jump through the holes in the wall behind you.