Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mary20

Nostalgic View On Doom

Hey everyone,

I made a tribute video to Doom trilogy, mainly on the first two dooms, though. Maybe you'd like to see. I grew up playing Doom 1 and 2 and can still by just hearing some of the music from the games name what level they were in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_28aGBWmgU

Youtube description:

Doom is widely regarded as one of the most important titles in gaming history.

It was released December 10, 1993.

The phrase "Doom clone" was initially popular to describe the style of gameplay in Doom-like games, but after 1996 was gradually replaced by "first-person shooter".

This is a nostalgic view on the game series many people, such as myself, grew up playing.

Coopersville said:

That crappy Staind song doesn't fit Doom at all.

I'm not going to go with something generic like Disturbed - Let the bodies hit the floor. I grew up with this game. The words, it's been a while, really fit in there.

Disturbed didn't write that song, that was like Drowning Pool.
If you wanted a Disturbed song, it'd be "Indestructable" or something, but yeah.

Good vid anyway, it is the main source of our FPS games.
I swear those who say Doom sucks and Halo rocks has another thing coming... With out Doom, there wouldn't be Halo.

Now I like Disturbed's 5 disc album, you know, the one where they release a disc every few years in its own case with its own art and title... Though only 4 discs have been released so far... lol I joke, I do like their albums though samey sounding as they may be. Still, Drowning Pool did Let The Bodies Hit The Floor. Also from a good album though samey as well, too bad about their 1st front man.

Anyway, now that the vid loaded and I've gotten to watch it. I like it. It seemed too have a fair number of memorable sections from the games. Though for me the most nostalgic musical choice would be Jagged Little Pill since I got that album the same week and would listen/play them both nearly constantly.

I understand Disturbed and Drowning Pool make good music. But it doesn't fit a video game. Especially in a nostalgic tribute. I listen to Disturbed when I'm lifting heavy at gym, not while playing a video game.

The video looks neatly put together but it doesn't seem fitting being played in a modern sourceport - being a 'nostalgic' view and all.

And I agree with Coopersville about the music - it's a bit cheesy. I'm no metal connoisseur but I would have gone with At The Drive-In or the Pixies.

Mary20 said:
The words, it's been a while, really fit in there.

That makes sense, besides the song sounds nostalgic, and while it may not be like the DOOM music that much (except a bit in respect to some of the Alice in Chains based tracks) it's from a band with a lot of '90s influences.

purist said:
The video looks neatly put together but it doesn't seem fitting being played in a modern sourceport - being a 'nostalgic' view and all.

I tend to feel that much of what source ports do aims to capture the feeling one may have experienced in the early days, as one needs different technology to cause the same effect today. Nostalgia is about recovering the impression of something remembered from a different point in time.

I thought the first part of the video was awesome. The transitions from B&W to color were well-done and you did a great job choosing gameplay scenes like the big Map16 fight and having them last just the right amount of time. I was freakin' out!

I though it lost something when it transitioned to Doom 3, though. It would've been better to have left the sound effects out. The Doom 3 id-tro is kind of jarring in the middle of the video, though I'm not sure what a better transition would be. This game doesn't have as many iconic scenes as the oldies, but there are some other ones that might have fit better, like when the Hell Knights charge out of the portal, or the first fight in Hell (where the walls rip away and it looks like you're floating in infinity).

All in all, I enjoyed it.

Coopersville said:

That crappy Staind song doesn't fit Doom at all.

I watched it with mute on. 'Cause Staind is simply put one of the worst bands in the history of time. I agree that a nostalgic video should use a nostalgic engine and maybe a remix track from the game to make the audio stand out.

Use3D said:

I watched it with mute on. 'Cause Staind is simply put one of the worst bands in the history of time. I agree that a nostalgic video should use a nostalgic engine and maybe a remix track from the game to make the audio stand out.

I tried a remix but it didn't fit in at all after the slow start.

I think the point everyone is trying to make is: why don't you try some real metal instead?

Bitch, bitch, bitch, moan.
I didn't particularly approve of the music selection either, but guess what I'm not doing. And every time I hear the phrase "real metal", I want to kick a baby in the face.

Bucket said:

I think the point everyone is trying to make is: why don't you try some real metal instead?

Because it doesn't fit games? I listen to metal when I hit the gym and squat 100kg. Not when I play video games while drinking cola and eating potato chips. The nostalgic feel is the important thing.

If people insist I can change it to Creed - With arms wide open, but that's about it. :)

How about something that wasn't played on the radio a million times and is actually a taste of what the band is really capable of? Here are some good suggestions: Pantera, Mouth For War; Alice In Chains, Them Bones; Slayer, South of Heaven. You know, stuff that the Doom soundtrack was actually based off of...

EarthQuake said:

How about something that wasn't played on the radio a million times and is actually a taste of what the band is really capable of?

Never listened to radio. Staind is fairly new to me.

Who the fuck cares what kind of music the video has or doesn't have? And what's with that "real metal" attitude? Sure if this was that one pokemon/Linkin Park video claiming to have "good metal" I could somehow see those outbursts, but it isn't. No one is really saying that the song is "metal" or "good", so why the fuck this pointless drama? Grow up people.

Let's keep this civil. Anything somehow involving metal or its genres often turns into something more "violent" than the music itself :p Not that I think this has, but it's good to be cautious here, from experience.

It's evident people will disagree what makes good music for a video that tries to express something. If that weren't so we'd be a bunch of zombies and things like art and creativity wouldn't exist.

To hell and back. Thread Archvile indeed! :D Or rather this is the Doom marine of threads...

As for the video, I can't say its nostalgic message lives very long here, because even now we still play Doom 1, in doom.exe even! And sometimes in normal UV mode, because it's still hard what with the WinXP command-prompt slowdown :)

That being said, it's still a good motivator among others to actually start the goddamned mappin'!

When I made my post, I didn't mean to spark a debate over whose taste in music is cooler. It's just the Doom soundtrack itself has a lot of tracks inspired by 80's heavy metal. Personally, I would have chose something from Pantera or Alice in Chains for the video, as they both have plenty of songs that could be considered 'nostalgic'.

printz said:

As for the video, I can't say its nostalgic message lives very long here, because even now we still play Doom 1, in doom.exe even! And sometimes in normal UV mode, because it's still hard what with the WinXP command-prompt slowdown :)

That being said, it's still a good motivator among others to actually start the goddamned mappin'!

You have a point there.

Thinking back, though, I was so scared of cyberdemon when I was 6. I don't know how many years it took me until I finally got him down. It was so hard because I was so scared I just ran away and kept closing my eyes. :D

Mary20 said:

It was so hard because I was so scared I just ran away and kept closing my eyes. :D

That is so adorable.

Mary20 said:

The phrase "Doom clone" was initially popular to describe the style of gameplay in Doom-like games, but after 1996 was gradually replaced by "first-person shooter".

I wish I could rewrite the context of every sentence that was ever printed that used the phrase "first person shooter" and replace it with "Doom clone", and I would probably not hate modern shooters as much.

"Hey Doug I've been playing a lot of RPG's lately, what do you play?"

"Ehh, I've been sticking to action games and shooters myself, mostly doom-clones"

JohnnyRancid said:

I wish I could rewrite the context of every sentence that was ever printed that used the phrase "first person shooter" and replace it with "Doom clone", and I would probably not hate modern shooters as much.

Actually, even though I haven't played too many action games, I can be sure they act like Doom clones. I meant action games in general, not just FPSes. Just nearly everything in them can be emulated in Doom. Normally Quake 1 should have been Number 1 but it's not as remarkable as Doom unfortunately.

printz said:

Actually, even though I haven't played too many action games, I can be sure they act like Doom clones. I meant action games in general, not just FPSes. Just nearly everything in them can be emulated in Doom. Normally Quake 1 should have been Number 1 but it's not as remarkable as Doom unfortunately.

The only singleplayer FPS game after Dooms that I've played time and time again is Painkiller. Which is pretty much a more modern version of Doom.