Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TimeOfDeath

LOINK

Download: LOINK (ZDoom compatible)

This is a modified version of sloth map04 (the original map was from autumn 2006). It's a slaughter map like my other maps with road rash names - not recommended for TimeOfHaters. The original version was just one map but this modified version is split into two maps in order to get an acceptable frame rate on my computer (2.2 ghz). Max and speed demos are in the zip file (recorded with ZDoom 2.2.0). I'll finish the text file before uploading it to /idgames in the next couple days.

Haha, just finished watching your UV-Max demo of Flanagan and now I see this thread popping out. Awesome :>
Downloading in process...

TimeOfDeath said:

not recommended for TimeOfHaters.

LoL, I’m not one of them, so let’s try it out! ... The only map that I really disliked was Smedley.

Horribly confusing, pretty easy big fights and annoying cramped areas. :( I just had to quit after trekking through the cramped corridors around the dark bfg area.

This is looking really tight, but to echo the concern of another poster, I can't imagine playing this without cheats.

Mass AI calculation would be a bitch on processing too, considering the amount of enemies present in some of these screenshots.

Yeah, the rjsloth version was lame cuz you could exit in one jump. :/

Oops, I forgot to mention there are puzzles (and they're probably annoying at first). There are difficulty settings also: medium has about half the monsters as hard, easy has about half the monsters as medium. Playing on easy is still kinda slaughtery though, with about 700 monsters each on both maps.

I made sure to get an acceptable frame rate (20+ fps) on ultra violence on my computer by using dormant monsters, monsters with the lost soul death frame (so they don't leave a corpse), and zombies and sargeants that don't drop items when they die. It was designed/tested to be played without cheats on ultra violence. Playing on easy is recommended if you're not familiar with the map. Once you're familiar, you'll notice that it's not that hard. :)

The only map that I really disliked was Smedley.

heh, I think that's my best slaughter map, yet it's with stolen layouts. :/ (but I like the speed routes in loink the best out of all my maps because of all the rocket jumping)

I like that lost soul sky, heh, and entertaining rocket jump demos like usual. I'm still figuring out the route for map 1 since its kinda confusing when you don't already know it. But looks challenging with unique puzzles.

If you and anyone else want to record any demos, they can be added to the zip file when I upload it to /idgames. Any demos are welcome on any difficulty.

To get bfg in map01 without rjumping, I'd recommend this route:

You can straferun jump from the high green wall to one of the ledges on the big diamond-shaped hole in the brown building, the one with the chaingun and player corpse, then jump to the blood stairs and into the tight corridor, etc.

Here's a 19:40 map1 zd220 demo, but it seems slow and probably unworthy of inclusion in the zip.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/70bqyg
I probably should have immediately used the caco crusher while they were already bunched up. Mostly did the route in that picture but shot the switches first- not sure if faster. Its kinda necessary to analyze what triggers what in doombuilder, if you want to make a good route at least, but scripts and thing actions make it hard to understand easily.
I was gonna try to infight cybers/arches while I do other stuff, but then remembered that the cyber deaths trigger the arches.
Since rocket jumping costs health, its probably hard to design a map that seems balanced for both rjumping and non rjumping.

Cool demo. :)

I think any demos are worthy to be included, and your demo shows a route without rocket jumps, without freelook, and without using a mouse (those skinny shootable switches that close after a delay look really annoying with a keyboard). And cool bfg route - I never thought of doing it that way.

Yeah, I try not to use scripts in my maps because it's harder to figure out what does what in doombuilder when learning a map, but sometimes scripts are necessary or more convenient. I don't mind thing actions as much since they highlight whatever they activate while in things mode, but I guess they can be easily overlooked since actions are usually used on lines.

So yeah, your demo will be included in the zip file. Do you think you'll do map02 as well?

And all demos are welcome, guys. Any demo at all on any difficulty, even if you die. So if you feel like recording something, then go nuts.

This is fairly slow too (run with saves was a few minutes faster). Missed the blue key jump twice and overly cautious toward the end. And probably should have concentrated on viles more in the invulnerability area so they don't pile up and blast me in the air making my bfg less useful. At least I didn't stupidly fall off the very last column before getting the key like last time (an example of something you kinda need doombuilder to analyze is its not obvious that the megaspheres trigger the blue key to lower).
http://www.sendspace.com/file/gvi3eh

Tried a new harder route and got 17:10 if I remember. Basically jumped up the platforms to the blue key while simultaneously infighting the main horde. My attempt at a suicide exit was an epic fail, causing me to warp back to the start :). I'm pretty sure the secret red key area didn't register even though I went there so only 80% secrets.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/v3gkzb

Cool infighting strategy + your other strategies. Sorry the blue skull platforms lower/raise so slowly, I wanted to "punish" people for not rjumping. And yeah, the red key secret is annoying to trigger. Also, I agree the megaspheres lowering the blue skull pillar is kinda dumb. The only reason I did that was so that you couldn't just rjump against the last platform and get the key, instead of going from pillar to pillar.

Thanks for the demos. If nobody else wants to record something, this will be uploaded to /idgames soon.

btw, I recorded some more loink demos too - here

map01 max 10:15
map01 max/reality 19:37
map01 speed 2:09
map02 max 13:15
map02 speed 1:27
max movie 25:11
speed movie 3:36

Nice runs, I like that reality one. After doom2, I've probably played streetfighter 2 (genesis) and road rash 2 (genesis) the most frequently, so should try the n64 version of road rash eventually. The ultra light bikes were the most fun because the maneuverability made fighting more fun and let you kind of lean in on a turn and kick someone completely off their bike if you do it right.