Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

The Best ingame music in a WAD?

So what is your picks of the best to phenomenal music used in a Doom wad?

here's my picks

Nuts 3: A very epic music piece that feels like your leaving your world behind for Ascending to godhood or something (especially thats what I felt when climbing the star temple)

Deus Vault Map 02: I don't know where this originated from but this is a good song for playing long levels especially looking at large paintings and doing puzzels before fighting a boss.

Cheogsh, the demon town area: Similar to Deus Vault's map 02 when your wondering around a huge level especially solving puzzels.

The Community is Falling 3: The entire metal soundtrack is just awesome especially the final boss music where it makes you feel small while facing up a extremely pissed off and incredibly powerful boss that is about to either tear you apart or blow you to smithereens (or smitheroons....)

Equinox Map 09: The music feels like a it's a good piece for a Alien invasion scenario well especially fighting them.

Mars War: Almost the entire soundtrack

One Final thing I guess I have to say that anything from B.P.R.D since he's one best midi music writers out there.

Void is probably my favorite, but I also like some of the music in Marswar, CIF3 and ZPack. Those come off the top of my head.

Alien Vendetta, D_RUNNIN. If only I knew where it's from... I could listen to all its collection.

Julian Hope's music from RTC-3057 hub 1, hands-down. It helped to set an absolutely incredible atmosphere, and I still listen to it regularly.

Memento Mori Map 9, Map 11, Map 14: I really like mm.mus very much.

Scythe Map 19, Map 26, and Map 29: I didn't know some music in Scythe are Symphony X's songs, but I haven't known Map 19's music yet.

Alien Vendetta Map 20, Map 25

Nightmare Doom said:

Deus Vault Map 02: I don't know where this originated from but this is a good song for playing long levels especially looking at large paintings and doing puzzels before fighting a boss.

The music is "Krook's March" from "Donkey Kong Country 2"
(In Japan, Super Donkey Kong 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4N3103DBWI

This is one of my favorite games. The game's music also wonderful, especially I like "Stickerbrush Symphony" (DV2 Map 29). However, I think the music don't match Doom.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lsk3pj4li0

There are some DKC's music in DV and DV2. (DV Map 2 and Map4, DV2 Map 22, Map 23, and Map 29) The author might like this game.

The music from map 7, map 17, and map 18 from the wad Biowar

also map 19, map26 and map 30 from scythe

as well as map 19 and map 25 from the wad dot.

those are pretty much my favorites

Everything from Equinox was fantastic.

I also liked the MAP24 (I think) and MAP30 music in Scythe.

I will put more as I remember them.

Some comes into mind:

Alien Vendetta Map04
Hell Revealed2: Map01, 13

There are plenty of others, just can't think of them right now.

Probably the tune from rjspace9f.wad is my favorite. The symphonic metal really gets you in the mood to speed run the map.

2002 A Doom Odyssey:

E1M5(The best one ever...I even tought myself part of it on the keyboard at one point...).
E1M8
E2M4
E3M7
E3M8

...of course most of the music in the entire wad is awesome.

The best music choice in wads that I have seen:
-Massmouth 2
-Seraphim
-Almost every song Mark Klem and Tolwyn has made for a project.

Oh, I also think its neat-o to see Megaman X tracks in a map :P.

lupinx-Kassman said:

-Almost every song Mark Klem and Tolwyn has made for a project.

Agreed, so I am surprised no one has mentioned STRAIN yet.
Especially that crazy medley from level 2 and really memorable tunes
from levels 11 and 14.

When it comes to entire WADs, Icarus is #1 for me.
It has a recurring theme (and a cool one!) that appears on levels 2,7,12,26... maybe more. Also the music from the 1st level is worth mentioning. And 22 (But it's actually a J.S.Bach's fugue; I couldn't be more surprised when I heard it in a Doom level)

MM: levels 9,11,14. MM2: levels 5,9 (fantastic riff),14 and 26 (when all of a sudden, a theme from MM appears).

Requiem seems much weaker, but levels 7 (a tribute to Rush) and 11 have cool tunes again.

OK, if I had to skip Klem & Tolwyn, I would choose HR2. Heavy metal tracks suit the levels well and this music is not as naive as "heavy"
music from original Doom.

tatsurd-cacocaco said:

Memento Mori Map 9, Map 11, and Map 14: I really like mm.mus very much.

Scythe Map 19, Map 26, and Map 29: I didn't know some music in Scythe are Symphony X's songs, but I haven't known Map 19's music yet.

Alien Vendetta Map 20 and Map 25

In addition,

Dwango5 Map 1 and Map 11

1monster Map 5

vdgg said:

Agreed, so I am surprised no one has mentioned STRAIN yet.
Especially that crazy medley from level 2 and really memorable tunes
from levels 11 and 14.

The level 14 BGM is by Jon Landis, who also created the music for levels 4, 17, 19, 27, 28, and 32 (which is a piece of classical music whose origins I don't remember,) as well as the text screen music. Part of the level 14 music sounds like the music from his !WOW!.WAD level (not to be confused with Paul Thrussell's notorious wow.wad,) and some of his music for STRAIN actually shows up in Eye of the Beholder II. He also designed levels 5, 6, and 31, and co-designed level 30 (with Rich Johnston,) according to this list, archived on the Internet Archive. (The background image was not archived, so use "Select All" to see the text.)

Some I like:

AV Map 30
Community Chest 3 Map 29
Rocket Jump Extreme Map 29
AV Map 18
HR Map 07

plus countless others. It would take a whole day for me to list them here.

Sonikku7 said:

Probably the tune from rjspace9f.wad is my favorite. The symphonic metal really gets you in the mood to speed run the map.

The group is called Apocalyptica, and they exclusively play with cellos (aside from the drums/percussion).

Florian said:

Ow yeah, totally Hellcore 2 man !

Does anybody knows where the music come from of MAP01 ??

This I would like to know too. Maybe we should ask Darkfyre...

The first version of Darkening E2, before they added all those Sam Woodman tracks. (Map04 in particular <3)

Then the music in my projects. Paul Corfiatis and Marc Pullen <3 <3

esselfortium said:

Julian Hope's music from RTC-3057 hub 1, hands-down. It helped to set an absolutely incredible atmosphere, and I still listen to it regularly.

This is where I get confused, and I should know this shit. Are there two Julians that are both great musicians, or are they the same person?

A guy credited as Julian Aubourg did the intermission music for Plutonia 2 (that blew my contribution for that out of the water) and then there's Julian Hope who I know did the RTC soundtrack, but who I assume also did some of the music for Action Doom. I guess they're different people, but it does seem uncanny that two identically named people could both do great music.

Yeah, and PL2INFO.TXT says:

Contributor       : Julian Aubourg
Also known as     : Julian Hope
Contributions     : Intermission music.
Other files by me : RTC-3057 and Action DooM contributor.
There's a lot of good music by the community. Personally, I've always liked the music of the Memento Mori WADs.

The score for Plutonia 2 has also grown on me. To name a few exceptional ones, the tracks for maps 2 (by Jamie Robertson), 11 and 32 (by Jimmy91) do great justice to the levels they're on.

Vrack2. Very techy. :)
AV Map01, Map20
Zen Dynamics Map07
Memento Mori Map30
Kama Sutra Map01 and Map30

Oh BTW, hello to everyone on the forum.