Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CeeJay

Doom-X: More NEW screenshots added

Sometime ago (mid 2008) i began working on a modification of Doom, which at the moment is untitled (working title is Doom-X). I have since been working on it on and off, and i like it. I have done quite a lot of work on it. It is basically an enhancement / improvement of Doom for EDGE. My goal is to make it as complete as possible, enhancing just about every aspect of the game. But i need testers, possible contributions and ideas. That is why i am now releasing the first alpha version to the Doom public. Tell me what you think, but please try to be constructive. Remember this is an alpha version, there are a lot of unfinished and experimental stuff aswell as probaly a ton of bugs. This will require EDGE 1.29, i don't know if it will work on later versions, might do.

Features: Weapons now have a more futuristic look to 'em (big credits to the GZDoom Advanced team) and eject spent casing, emit smoke, reload and produces recoil. Most of the scenery items can now be killed, splattered or blown-up. Many items are now 3D and most of the items have unique pick-up sounds assigned to them. Blowing up bodies causes a fountain of blood and guts (but not over the top). Four additional weapons: Auto Pistol, Machine Gun/Micro Gun, Grenades, Flamethrower and the damn Railgun which i can never get to work properly. And tons of other neat features.

Here's the download link (Doom-X alpha #1):
http://files.filefront.com/DMXalph1rar/;13151596;/fileinfo.html

EDIT:

Doom-X alpha #3 is released. No major diffrences other than a new weapon, mostly small stuff, tweaks and polishing.

Download link (Doom-X alpha #3):
http://files.filefront.com/DMXalph3rar/;13162459;/fileinfo.html

Enjoy!

P.S. Scroll down the page for screenshots.

Well, yea, i am aware of all that but what's the need for it when you can download the thing and try it (and then delete it if you hated the thing). Besides there aren't any new levels or anything so there wouldn't be much to show (it's the combination of the sprites, sounds and coding that make the whole thing).

That may be the case, but people generally like to know what they are downloading. I mean I'm not going to get it until I see some screenshots.

CeeJay said:

Well, yea, i am aware of all that but what's the need for it when you can download the thing and try it (and then delete it if you hated the thing).

I don't know if this is entirely true or not, but I heard from someone that when you delete a file some of the memory is still left behind and it can slow down your computers performance. For this reason I prefer to avoid downloading things just because I don't give a fuck, and start downloading things I actually want.

He probably means the hard drive gets more fragmented, and as far as I know this can actaully decrease performance after a time.

JohnnyRancid said:

I don't know if this is entirely true or not, but I heard from someone that when you delete a file some of the memory is still left behind and it can slow down your computers performance. For this reason I prefer to avoid downloading things just because I don't give a fuck, and start downloading things I actually want.

Not true, when you delete a file, all you are doing is marking that data as unused space. However, it is possible to recover deleted data, if said data has not been overwritten by new data recorded to the drive.

Some Old Drunk Guy said:

^That isn't true. It doesn't even make sense.

I played this because it sounded interesting. I liked it. I'll post my own screenshots later if the OP doesn't.

Thank you very much old drunk guy. And what did ya think of it? Any ideas for improvements? You may post screenshots if you'd like, i'm too lazy to do it myself at the moment and besides i can't run EDGE at the moment (graphic drivers problem).

These screen shots don't really show off what this wad does. What I'm most impressed with are the sounds.

Not a fan of:

Imp fireball replacement
Health vial replacement
Plasma gun (projectile seems weaker, I don't know if it actually is but the vanilla gun feels more powerful)
Rail Gun (it's like, literally broken)

I love immolating bad guys, I love the new death animations and the extra gore, and I really love the sound effects. The flame thrower is awesome. The chaingun is cool too, it feels like it has a lot of power.

The machine gun is kind of weak though. You should make the grenades the alt-fire of the machine gun instead of their own weapon.

The little details are cool, like the smoke and the shell casings. Good job so far.

Some Old Drunk Guy said:
These screen shots don't really show off what this wad does. What I'm most impressed with are the sounds.

True, but it does give a idea of what it is. Thank you very much for posting them screenies. Yes, the sounds are nice, i've collected sound effects from all over the place, using only the best i could find.

Some Old Drunk Guy said:
Not a fan of:

Imp fireball replacement

Yes, i just throw in the first fireball replacement i could think of. I'll get around to it.

Some Old Drunk Guy said:
Health vial replacement

Hmmm, i was originally thinking of just using the old one but with hover capability. Not sure if this should be a magic item or not like the armor helmet (spiritual armor).

Some Old Drunk Guy said:
Plasma gun (projectile seems weaker, I don't know if it actually is but the vanilla gun feels more powerful)
Rail Gun (it's like, literally broken)

Actually the Plasma Gun projectiles inflicts just as much damage as the original (i only made changes to the actual sprites displayed). It might fire a bit slower, but it think it's unnoticable. As for the railgun, it is like you said broken, it is not working like i wanted it to do. It's a prototype/experimental weapon.

Some Old Drunk Guy said:
I love immolating bad guys, I love the new death animations and the extra gore, and I really love the sound effects. The flame thrower is awesome. The chaingun is cool too, it feels like it has a lot of power.

Try using the chainsaw's secondary attack on the monsters (hehe!). I wanted it to be more bloody and gory but not over the top (like Doom Enhanced for example). I managed to find an execelent gibbing sound.

Some Old Drunk Guy said:
The machine gun is kind of weak though. You should make the grenades the alt-fire of the machine gun instead of their own weapon.

No, not really. Each shot inflicts as much damage as a pistol shot and it's very accurate (compared to the micro gun anyways). It's useful because A) It doesn't waste through ammo too quickly like the Micro Gun does and B) It's pretty accurate even at medium to long range. Funny you say that, i was thinking of giving it a secondary grenade attack. We'll see.

Some Old Drunk Guy said:
The little details are cool, like the smoke and the shell casings. Good job so far.

I am a little bit of a perfectionist.

I have been able to resume work on the project. Changes:

Machine Gun now has a Grenade Launcher as a secondary attack. But the seperate Hand Grenade weapon will stay (the two grenade projectiles act very diffrently).

Muzzle flashes have been seperated from all of the actual weapon sprites and are displayed seprately in the game (like in original Doom).

Varios tweaks and improvements.

EDIT:

Detonator-triggered hand grenade added. New HUD display: shows clip ammount, total ammo remaining, health, armor and keys. Many more tweaks and improvements.

Sexy. I forgot to suggest that you make the grenade a detonator weapon, that would be sick. I also forgot to mention how I loved cutting enemies in half. I had a screen shot of that I wanted to put up but imageshack was being stupid.

The hand grenade comes in two variants. One with fuse or proximity option and one with manual detonation option. Yeah, the chainsaw secondary attack turned out alright. But i am not entirely satisfied with the chainsaw all-in-all, seems kinda buggy to me. Must do some tweaking.

JohnnyRancid said:

I don't know if this is entirely true or not, but I heard from someone that when you delete a file some of the memory is still left behind and it can slow down your computers performance.

Someone should have explained things better - deleting files does lead to drive fragmentation and (depending on it's severity) some loss of performance. The problem can be mitigated by not deleting anything, not downloading anything (no more email or web surfing) or defragmenting the drive at regular intervals. Another option is to save downloads to a RAM drive - anything you decide not to keep is gone when you shutdown the computer.

"There is a hole in your mind" - Mimbari assassin to Jeffrey Sinclair.

This mod is still being worked on, in fact it has come a very long way since those two alpha versions. The WAD is now over 6 megabytes. I think it is almost complete, the only major thing left to do is give more weapons secondary attacks and add a flashlight. So far it is looking really nice and i hope i'm not the only one who thinks that.

Well, i truly believe that this mod is finally getting near completion. But, please, i need testers. Anyone? If you don't know what this thing is, you can view the screenshots above or download one of the old alpha versions.

Here are a few new half-assed screenshots of the project played with the Ultimate Doom IWAD:

A new custom-made heads-up-display (HUD)

Grenades. Always handy.

A flashlight that works, sort of. Can also be used as a weapon.

A flamethrower that cooks!

Just about all scenery items can be destroyed, splattered or blown-up.

I'm not usually into mods like this, but this looks pretty interesting. I might even give it a shot.

I'm glad we managed to get screenies up too, as they were what grabbed my attention. :)

Do bare in mind that all that is available for download is the old "alpha" versions, works fine but it's not as good as the more recent versions (i think about 2 or more aditional megabytes in resources and coding have been added since the alphas). I cannot upload newer versions seeing as it is almost complete. Enjoy!

I thought it was one of the other two DOOM-X mods (one of them follows the DOOM bible, the other is like a mission pack with new maps and some new monsters, both are abandoned as far as I know).
Is there any new sprite on this mod, on the pics I see sprites from different sources but nothing new.

I would suggest changing "clip" on the HUD to "mag" (or back to ammo) . It's really a magazine since clip is just a little piece of metal used for loading older guns like the Garand.

Vegeta said:

I thought it was one of the other two DOOM-X mods (one of them follows the DOOM bible, the other is like a mission pack with new maps and some new monsters, both are abandoned as far as I know).
Is there any new sprite on this mod, on the pics I see sprites from different sources but nothing new.

No, it's not related in any shape or form. Like mentioned earlier, it's a working title that might or might not stick. There are no actual new sprites, but lots of modifications of excisting ones. I'm no graphics artist.

Mr. Chris said:

I would suggest changing "clip" on the HUD to "mag" (or back to ammo) . It's really a magazine since clip is just a little piece of metal used for loading older guns like the Garand.

True, i am aware of that. But i was under the impression that 'clip' was used as a slang of sorts for magazine. Could be wrong though.

A demonstration of the new chainsaws secondary attack.

Demonstration of the detonator-triggered grenades.

I've finally got the railgun working.

This project is still being worked on, on and off. So far it kicks all other enhancement mods right out of the water. All weapons sprites are new complete with reloading, ejecting casing, smoke and alternative attacks. Enemies have numerous alternate deaths and attacks and new sounds. Just about every scenery item can be shattered, splattered or blown-up. All new sound effects of much supperior quality. The list of enhancements just goes on and on. It is also fully compatible with Doom, Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom aswell as any custom level or megawad.