Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Karnizero

Boom Skys issue

I made a RSKY1 texture for a new map im doing, for Boom.

The issue is that i want the texture to be "scaled" to fill the whole sky, but Boom makes the texture to be "repeated" to fill the whole sky.

For example, the sky has a planet, but when running the map under PrBoom+, i got 5, planets, instead one.

Is it any way to scale or change this?
Note: I cant use Dehacked, BEX or similar.

Thanks in advance.

Boom won't do any scaling for you. Scale it up in a graphics editing application (GIMP, Paint Shop, &c).

Karnizero said:

That's unusual. Are you sure that it wasn't 4?

If you make your sky texture 1024 units wide, it will never be repeated. The sky will wrap around fully. A 256 wide sky is repeated 4 times and a 512 wide one twice.

When making a 1024 wide sky, most people usually make 4 256 wide patches and stitch them together in the TEXTURE1 lump.

Enjay said:

That's unusual. Are you sure that it wasn't 4?

Well, that was an example.

Enjay said:

If you make your sky texture 1024 units wide, it will never be repeated. The sky will wrap around fully. A 256 wide sky is repeated 4 times and a 512 wide one twice.

When making a 1024 wide sky, most people usually make 4 256 wide patches and stitch them together in the TEXTURE1 lump.

Ok, thank, that was exactly what i wanted to know ;-P

Note that RSKY1 is just the patch, the image for the sky texture (in a lump called RSKY1).

You need to create a new SKY1 texture (entry in the TEXTURE1 lump) which is where the true width and height are. Textures are made up of one or more patches.

Enjay said:

Most people? I remember it's mandatory to split 'em in four patches. When I created a monopatch 1024 sky texture, it was cut off at every 256 interval.

Edit: Could this technique of placing common-width patches in line be used to allow tiling of odd textures like 96-wide?

I think I know why Vanilla/Chocolate require 4 patches for 1024-wide skies. It uses 16-bit integers to keep offsets into the patch lumps, but a 1024x128 patch is over 128K, so the offsets don't fit into 16 bits.

printz said
Could this technique of placing common-width patches in line be used to allow tiling of odd textures like 96-wide?

No.

printz said:

Could this technique of placing common-width patches in line be used to allow tiling of odd textures like 96-wide?

No because the texture width needs to be a power of 2. The dimensions of a patch have no bearing on anything, really.