Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pure Hellspawn

The First PWAD You Ever Played

It's hard to remember the very first one (which was probably some stupid box map that I made) but ones that stand out in my memory are the Lego Base, Marswar and Congestion Control.

The first thing I played was the shareware, but later my brother got ahold of a copy of DOOM II and some add-ons. One that stood out was roughly Western-themed. I think it included some wooden-textured level that also appears in one of the Dwango WADs, or at least a level that's similar to that one.

Levels? The Made of Metal series. Church of Romero. (May have also been called Temple of Romero)
Graphic replacement? Clinton Doom.

All of those came on a PC Gamer CD, I believe.

A friend had one of the D!Zone discs, so it was probably something off of there, sometime in 1994 or 1995. The first one I remember downloading myself was Memento Mori a year or two later when I finally got Internet access; it might not necessarily be the first one I downloaded, but it was memorable since it was rather large (at the time I had a 14.4kbps modem with no error correction or compression) -- plus, it's Memento Mori...

The earliest one I remember was wooden ship in the middle of a sea of nukage. It gave the illusion of having floor above floor by having you go through a teleporter to "drop" to the lower deck.

I don´t remember exactly, it was either "Mister Smileys Head Safari", or Obituary. Obituary was great, very Doom-style, it felt like an official expansion.

purist said:

The earliest one I remember was wooden ship in the middle of a sea of nukage. It gave the illusion of having floor above floor by having you go through a teleporter to "drop" to the lower deck.

i remember really liking this map. any idea what it's called so i can see how bad my taste is/was? assuming it is the same i remember -- and my memory is not a dream.

The first: I was 12, it was a couple of months before Doom 2 was due, and a now defunct PC Gaming magazine had given away a bunch of wads on a single disk. An elevator lowered into what seemed to be the hangar of large space station, and I was immediately stomped by four Barons. I thought, 'Barons? Already!?!' It seemed deeply wrong to have lost out to Barons before I'd even opened a door. I didn't play another PWAD for at least three years.

Alien Vendetta. In late 2006.

No joke!

Or Plutonia, in 1996, if you count the Final Doom IWADs as PWADs... Believe it or not, that was literally the only Doom I ever owned till late 2006. (Meanwhile, I had been a Duke Nukem 3D fan ever since it was new... Ironic that I'm a bigger fan of Doom now.)

EDIT: Well, I did play Plutonia with a South Park graphics mod at some point in 1998 (I think,) but I'm not sure that really counts. :P

First map ever was some POS with a yellow key door at the beginning with the key on the other side of the door. Second map I played was Necron. The mapset is pretty primitive, but the huge open rooms (especially in the last level) impressed me greatly.

Of course after I got tired of Necron I downloaded and played a little wad called Null Space and was completely rocked.

I believe my first was Markroom.wad, which I believe was one of the first PWADs ever released, and if the readme text is to be believed, was created using a hex editor and modifying E1M1.

Dunno what it was but it would have been a pretty primitive effort downloaded from a BBS or maybe the Compuserve Action Games Forum.

The Lag said:

any idea what it's called so i can see how bad my taste is/was? assuming it is the same i remember -- and my memory is not a dream.

I think what you're looking for is SHIP.WAD.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

If ofc the master levels CD had no maps beginning with a number...

I'm pretty sure I spent some time trawling through the Maximum Doom directories before unpacking the Master Levels.

GreyGhost said:

I think what you're looking for is SHIP.WAD

thanks, but that's not it. the one i remember had the, primitive, illusion of multiple decks by using teleporters. i also believe it was more of a single-player map.

AgentSpork said:

Probably some random crappy map off of one of the D!Zone compilation CDs. :P

Same here. I remember having fun with Fava Beans, too.

IIRC the first single-level PWAD I played was uac_dead. The first larger project was Aliens TC.

I lucked out as my first PWADs were Dr Sleep's Dante's Gate and Crossing Acheron on the exact disc mentioned on his homepage here:
http://drsleep.newdoom.com/wads.shtml

Soon after that I went along to a local computer fair and some random stall had a machine running the Aliens TC, who *kindly* sold me a disc to put it on, heh.

I distinctly remember the first level I ever played, which would have been in 1995, off one of those level compilation CD's. I don't remember the name of the level, but seeing as it was the first level on the CD, it's name was probably something like "AAAAAAA!!!" or something. I loaded it up, looking forward to some great Doom action. Instead, I got a level which consisted of 4 or 5 badly textured rooms, some randomly spaced weapons and no monsters at all. And I was like 'what the hell is this? Where are all the monsters?' There wasn't even an exit switch.

It probably wasn't for another year that I discovered this amazing little thing called 'deathmatch'...

I fall in the group who started off with random levels from a compilation CD. I don't even know where it come from, anymore.

However, I can state the first pwad that I remembered the name of... a quaint little title called "Memento Mori." ;)

I also fall in the group of people who actually played Doom II before the original. I must have liked it, since I went out and bought the Ultimate Doom sometime later.

I played the shareware first, my first full version was the Plutonia Experiment years ago, then got the rest way later. Only a few years ago (if you call 4/5 years a few), I realised the community was huge and full of mods. First memorable Pwad must have been either Scythe or Alien Vendetta, I cannot remember the first actual pwad...

The first Pwad I ever played was sdoom (followed by sdoom2)
I played these mods when I was 7 using doom 95 though (wasn't much better in 95')

First WAD I played was Reolwolf.wad a 9 level wolfenstein themed episode.

I think the first PWAD I or my brother played was one called MEINHAUS.WAD (http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12447) and was quirky and craptastic, but not too bad for 94.

The other one I can't seem to find, and don't remember exactly what it was called, but it was a couple levels of techbase / space station / starport type maps. Some were huge and annoying (switch-hunting, unsure what to do next, etc) but one that I liked started outside in a brown tanrock area with cracks in the ground and a small ship landed/crashed nearby.

The other one (I don't remember exactly which PWAD was first) featured a silver HUD bar (spectacular and shiny!) and a large, gstone map (with a simplistic starry sky) and had music based on some nirvana song (also can't remember the name).