Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spleen

Should the sprites be as tall as the monster, or as tall as the original DOOM ones?

Should the sprites be as tall as the monster, or as tall as the original DOOM ones?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Should the sprites be as tall as the monster, or as tall as the original DOOM ones?

• As tall as the monster
    • As tall as the original Doom sprites

Some of monsters in DOOM, such as the revenant, have sprites that are taller than the actual monster. I read that this was accidental - the revenant was just sprited the way it was and happened to be taller than it needed to be, and they decided it was too much trouble to go back and fix it. Should FreeDOOM do this as well in order to preserve some of the original DOOM feel, or should it correct this error and have sprites of the proper height and width for each monster?

Personally I don't really care, as long as the sprites dimensions resemble the thing dimensions somewhat. It's fine as long as a human sized thing does not have the sprites with dimensions of a spider mastermind.

Revenant unit height: 56
Revenant pixel height: 92

My suggestion for "Freevenant" pixel height: 74.

I'd like to see them closer to the height the engine thinks they are - no need to replicate past mistakes.

Prefer 70px for "humans" size and 90px for "monster" size.
Don't forget 3D bugs on ports with head cutted by ceiling on too big ones (100 - 110 - 120...)

Remember that Freedoom is intended to work with existing pwads, so you'll want them to look sensible within existing maps, which will be built with the standard heights in mind.

Am I the only one who is confused by a yes/no option?
Is this YES - Sprites should be as tall as the monster
and NO - They should be as tall as the original DooM ones.
I will vote come clarity. :)

Strongbad said:

I think they should be as tall as they were originally, as some levels take advantage of this.

The sprite height has no significance at all on the architecture and physics. Smaller sprites are not going to break compatibility with anything. The only way in which it'd impact gameplay is by making them a bit harder to see when they're far away or hidden behind objects.

With monsters, it doesn't so much, but I have seen maps that use scenery such that only part of the sprite is meant to show though, e.g. setting a torch or flaming barrel down in a mini-pit so that only the flame shows.

True. However, not relevant to this thread as it was about monsters who have sprites much taller than they are supposed to be, resulting in "headless revenant" syndrome in rooms with a low ceiling when using source ports with a true 3D clipping system.

I interpreted the question as -
Yes = sprites as tall as the engine thinks thay are
No = sprites as tall as the original Doom sprites

There's a 50/50 chance I've got it right. ;-)

Yes! No! Maybe! I don't know! I changed my mind! Fuck, I voted wrong! Wait, I didn't vote! What was the question?

The new labels make more sense. Any chance of my vote being restored? I was in favour of "As tall as the monster".

Gez said:

Revenant unit height: 56
Revenant pixel height: 92

My suggestion for "Freevenant" pixel height: 74.

I voted "as tall as the monster", but I like this midpoint also. If the revenant replacement is the same size as the imp and zombie ones, it might look as weak as those, too. On the other hand if you really want compatibility with GL port bugs, the sprite height matching the internal thing height as closely as possible would be the way to go.

fraggle said:

Joking aside, I've changed the labels and reset the counters now.

Thank you, fraggle.

I voted as tall as the monster, because I think the Freedoom creators should be free to design the monsters as they see fit. I don't see how it would affect compatibility with existing engines or PWADs.

I voted as tall as the original sprites to stay with the same feel as the original. If this results in "headless revenant" syndrome so be it.

If you allow a difference between collision sprite size and displayed sprite size, then you invite port programmers to "fix" your mistake by resizing the displayed sprite to match the collision sprite size when a mismatch is detected. We do not want to be having to do this, and would prefer that the displayed sprite size match what the declared collision sprite size, in every case.

1. Collisions with door, crusher etc. heads cut off.

2. Shooting the monster in the head is pointless if it is just going to go through. If the displayed sprite is larger than the collision size then shots to some of the displayed body parts are not going to be detected as hits.

Alice Jameson said:

I voted as tall as the original sprites to stay with the same feel as the original. If this results in "headless revenant" syndrome so be it.

The "feel of the original" is irrelevant since the monsters don't look anything like the original Doom monsters.