Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Claustrophobia 1024 -- Fixed version released!

re Diminished Apparatus: Yeah, the biggest problem with the red key fight is just the absolute lack of space to move around. :( Also, once you get the arch-vile teleporting to that area you'll be praying that they won't resurrect those barons...that's an other reason why I'd prefer replacing barons with knights.

Alrighty, here's another set of map updates for each of my submissions:

http://www.filesavr.com/mek-dimapparatus-v5 (let me know if this is any better Jodwin)
http://www.filesavr.com/mek-deadindeadout-v5 (MAP07)
http://www.filesavr.com/mek-sub1024-v3

Also I went through and figured out which maps (that have been accepted) don't have new music. I marked said maps with a '♫' symbol; check the OP. To simplify things, here are the maps that don't have music:

"Proceed With Caution" by Kyka (v3a) ♫
"Forgotten Fortress" by Dutch-Devil (v1) ♫
"Nova Scotia Robots" by esselfortium (v1) ♫
"Spitshine" by Fiend {MEDIUM} (v2) ♫
"Stagnant Depot" by KingKill33 (v6) ♫
"End of the Line" by KingKill33 (v10) ♫
"Bitter Sanctuary" by Kyka {EASY} (v5a) ♫

I need to go through the maps again to make sure, but those are the ones that didn't have a MUS lump in them. If anyone would like to compose custom music for any map, please let me know!

A sub1024-related bug:

Spoiler

It seems that you are required to press two switches before getting the red key. However, only the one behind the grey waterfall needs to be activated, as the off-level door opened by the other switch (sector 531) is already open when the level starts. This was the case in the previous version as well, but I noticed it this time because at this moment, the only reason to activate that other switch is so you can get 100% Kills. (There were no teleporting monsters at that spot in the previous version.)

Yea that's definitely not supposed to happen. Sounds like I screwed up a voodoo doll..or I completely forgot something. Thanks TGH I'll fix it now.

@KingKill33: They may have been in the Claus alpha...not sure. It wasn't very organized so I have no idea. Thanks a bunch though!

Here's sub1024-v4:
http://www.filesavr.com/mek-sub1024-v4

Turns out I forgot to set one of the doors on the voodoo doll script for that particular switch, rendering it useless. I also made a few more changes - removed the floor lamps in the pits (and added some elsewhere), made the waterfall pit harder, moved the yellow key switch to a less retarded location, and added a smidgen more health/ammo.

re Apparatus: It's better now, that's for sure. Still, the red key fight is easy to screw up if you aren't well prepared...one thing that could help is doing something about that small corner between the switch that lowers the rocket launcher and the outside wall. It's big enough to let you squeeze in, but too small to allow any moving in. Either try to make that corner bigger, or small enough so that when backtracking during the fight, the player would go towards the poison falls, not to that corner (don't ask why I always tried to run to that corner for safety, but I did, and it's a death sentence).

edit:
re 32-33-34-... maps: IMHO it would be just best to stick to 32 maps and move the rest to the overflow project... I'm assuming that the idea of having more than 32 maps came from Plutonia 2. I don't have anything against PL 2, but if we now try to hike up the map count for the main wad even further, it'll probably turn into a never ending e-penis competition where each community project tries to have more maps than the previous one...besides, not to mention that not all ports can use the maps past map32.

Besides, if we'd be putting one-two extra secret maps to the main wad why not just put all maps that we've got (once polished) to the same wad? :-P Where is the line supposed to be drawn?

I drew it at 34 maps, heh. But seriously, my main reasons for adding the two extra secret maps was so that I could fit more regular maps into the normal slots. Kyka's map is very much 'secret' map material and I'm working on a secret map...so I thought back to PL2 and thought that it wouldn't be a bad idea. It really doesn't have anything to do with trying to outdo one project or another...I did it more as a necessity (and because extra secrets maps are always awesome I guess). And it works in PRBoom+...what other ports should I test it in?

Anyways, I'll ponder some more about that corner area you described. I'm not sure there's a whole lot I can do besides just removing the corner completely though :(

Hmm, well aside trying to avoid starting a new fad of bigger and bigger megawads what I think doesn't really make sense with making the wad have more maps is that the "leftovers", which isn't really a good choice of words since the maps aren't bad, would still get to be released, maybe even along the "main wad" but just in a different file. Whether it's in the overflow or the "main wad", does it really matter? :/ We'll probably have to come up with a better name for the overflow wad once it's finished, since obviously the maps that will get in will be in a good/better shape so such demeaning name probably wouldn't do it justice...

Besides, if the main wad will have only 32 maps that'll be two maps less that we'll need to finish the second feature. ;)

I understand what you mean Jodwin. I just like the idea of secret secret maps...but that's just me :P. It's all very up-in-the-air still though, so I'll figure out what I want to do in due time. Oh, and concerning the overflow project...yea, I'd definitely like it to be called something other than 'Overflow'. Director's Cut [or something similar] maybe?

Instead of working on my map or fixing the texture resource like I should be doing, I decided to layout a map rotation (all very preliminary, mind you). Here it is:

The Warp Facility
Break the Chain
Pit of Sludge
Bitter Sanctuary
Tekno1000
Hex of Depression
Dead In, Dead Out
Power Station
Subterfuge 1024
Complex4K
Four Rooms
Assault
Spitshine
Trap
The Inmost Con'dens'ed
The Process
Nocturnal Abyss
Calypso Station
Technicfear
Twilight of the Demons
Nova Scotia Robots
Refinery
Second Assault
Fear No Evil
Hell Sewage
Diminished Apparatus
Forgotten Fortress
Poison Ivy
Aura of Evil
Thanatophobia
Skyscrape IV
Oil Rig
*Proceed With Caution
*Nil
It's possible that some of the reworked overflow maps will make it into the main map list (eg. Aura of Evil). I need to go make time and go play all of the updated overflow maps and see. Feedback appreciated...and bear in mind that I threw this list together in the span of 20 minutes :P

[EDIT]

Whoops, almost forgot something.

@Mik57: There's an unknown thing in your map 'Oil Rig'.
@Dreadopp/KingKill33/Kyka: 'Power Station' and 'The Process' both bug out when I try to run them in PRBoom+ 2.5.0.2. They work in ZDoom and EE though. The error I get is "W_InitCache: OpenFile for memory mapping failed (LastError 13)". However this might just be a problem with PRBoom+. I figured it was worth mentioning.

Which leads me to question; what other Boom ports should I be testing these maps in?

You can use my green map for the side project.

Yea, it happens when I try to load the map. Are you using the same version of PRBoom+? I just upgraded to 2.5.0.2 the other day so I could test all of the maps out.

Yeah, I actually just downloaded it to see the error and if I could fix it. Anyone happen to know what's causing it, so I can go ahead and fix it even though I didn't get the error?

Hmm, any idea where the unknown thing would be? I've been looking around, and all I see is normal doom monsters and pickups.

Mik57 said:

Hmm, any idea where the unknown thing would be? I've been looking around, and all I see is normal doom monsters and pickups.

Do you have a 3D mode start somewhere? I found a couple of those in the overflow maps. :/

Screw it.
http://www.speedyshare.com/600913634.html
The something'th version of "The Inmost Con'dens'ed".

Things:
- VERY FUGLY MISALIGNMENT ON THE SECOND LEDGE that DB2 can't seem to fix - don't know if this is because the function's missing something that DB1's auto-align function had.
- Monster teleport is about as efficient as it's going to get - speedrunners/demo makers may still dislike it.
- The player can go outside the 1024x1024 boundary of the map in some instances, and while he does get damaged for being out of the boundary, it's probably entirely possible to do this in Boom as well as ZDoom.
- The map actually runs in Boom now. DB2 seems to delete already existing SEGS, SSECTOR, NODES, REJECT and BLOCKMAP lumps for the map when it saves.

Jimmy91 said:

Screw it.
http://www.speedyshare.com/600913634.html
The something'th version of "The Inmost Con'dens'ed".

ZDoom says that lines 1745 and 1763 are unconnected and Doom Builder says that you have quite a few unclosed sectors.

And as for getting outside the 1024-box, make the gray brick wall completely impassable, except on the side where the cacos and PE come out. It's still pretty easy to straferun to the blood from the ledge where you get the soulsphere, and the arch-vile could easily throw you over too. So, just make it impassable, problem solved. :-p

Question. Is this mapset being designed mainly to be played as 32 individual maps (from pistol start) or is it more designed towards being played like a 'conventional' mapset, as in you take the health armor, ammo, and most importantly weapons, from one level to the next?

Kyka said:

Question. Is this mapset being designed mainly to be played as 32 individual maps (from pistol start) or is it more designed towards being played like a 'conventional' mapset, as in you take the health armor, ammo, and most importantly weapons, from one level to the next?

From pistol start, as community projects like this usually are. :)

My vote goes for 32 maps because I think it is more traditional and...

Jodwin said...
(I)f the main wad will have only 32 maps that'll be two maps less that we'll need to finish the second feature.

KingKill33 said:

Yeah, I actually just downloaded it to see the error and if I could fix it. Anyone happen to know what's causing it, so I can go ahead and fix it even though I didn't get the error?

It might be a problem with the texture resource. While working on my latest map, I decided to update my current resource with some new textures. After I did that, PRBoom would error out (though it was a different error). When I reverted to my old resource it worked just fine. So once I fix the texture wad and release it, we'll see if that resolves the issue. If not then I guess we'll have to take the problem to someone with more knowledge of PRBoom+ than I have :p

Question for everyone, why the hell there is map33 and map34!? They won't be accessible in prboom, so you're gonna pull a Plutonia 2 here ;P

There's currently a total of 59 maps - there's one all new map in the overflow thread. That's only five maps more for two full megawads if we'll stick to 32 maps a wad. ;-)

(assuming that we'll get all of the overflow maps to a "good enough" state, of course)

alterworldruler said:

Question for everyone, why the hell there is map33 and map34!? They won't be accessible in prboom, so you're gonna pull a Plutonia 2 here ;P

Ignore that for now, it's all very preliminary ;)

If all goes well, I should have my final map completed today. Huzzah for that...I was getting a little tired of working on it.

Hay double post! I finished my final map. Download hur:

http://www.filesavr.com/mek-nil-v1

Nil would have been done before now...but towards the end I ran into some trouble. Long story short I mussed up some tags/actions and it turned into a pretty big headache. As the map progressed I got a little too complicated with things, and apparently I missed tagged a few sectors...blah, it was a mess. I finally fixed it [I think] and it should be good to go in that respect. However, there are a few things I want to note before anyone plays the map:

- This map is using it's own texture resource (which is basically just the normal resource with esseltex's in it). I've included it along with the map so be sure to use it and not the regular resource.
- You'll notice that portions of this map don't have walls for the 1024 barrier since it's supposed to be a large structure suspended in the nullvoid. As such, I had to setup a line around the entirety of the map (as well as some other places to ensure it meets the 1024 rules) that would instakill the player if he/she crosses them. This is basically just a crusher line action that smushes some voodoo dolls outside of the map (for the areas where you can fall into the void, there's a small delay for a falling effect). One problem that might arise is that the line is either too close/too far to be effective. From my testing it felt about right. But if anyone runs into a problem with it, let me know.
- I tested in all difficulty settings. Easy and Medium feel pretty good and should be beatable without too much trouble. However I setup UV to be very difficult (mostly because of the Pain Elemental's/Lost Souls). I was able to beat it...but it took me many tries and many many saves. It left me with just a smidgen of ammo left...though for UV (and any difficulty, really), monster in-fighting plays a big role in this map. I just want to make sure UV isn't too insane, so feedback in this area is really needed. I can add more ammo/health...maybe even a BFG9000 secret if needed.
- If you find anything else...let me know, of course!

This map was mostly inspired by MAP32 of Congestion (Nullvoid Jr.) as well as a few other maps from Congestion. It's one of my favorite maps of all time so I really wanted to emulate it. Of course there was no way I had the time/skill to do emulate the just plain amazing texturing in Nullvoid Jr., so I opted to use a new texture set. Big thanks goes to Esselfortium for allowing me to use his textures! Overall the map is supposed to be a difficult invasion-style map with emphasis on waves of monsters. I think that theme came out pretty good, but I'll wait and see what everyone else thinks. Throw the comments and feedback my way and I would appreciate it :D