Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cycloid

Congestion 384

In the true spirit of 1024.wad and 64.wad in being cramped, hard, good clean fun and being a-number-ending-in-4 everyone's favourite somnabulistic doomer presents:

Congestion 384!

http://cyclomedia.co.uk/doom/wads/cyc-384.txt
http://cyclomedia.co.uk/doom/wads/cyc-384.zip

This is a beta release, pending feedback it'll be up in /newstuff in the next couple of days, but it should all be in and working.

This was interesting to play through. If you want nitpicky feedback: Perhaps some areas could be better with texturing, particularly alignments (Probably for maps 12, and others, can't remember)

Port used: Skulltag Software mode

Some bugs, all HOMs. Outside of Map06 have several HOMs, one has a weird sector shape, doubt if it was intended.

Map15 has HOMs as well, just on the sides of the buildings, I think you made the sky height=0, so you gotta separate the building's ceiling from the "sky height0 sector" instead. Sorry if I'm not clear enough.

Overall, good job. ;)

I thought it was great! Very challenging, yet I found myself doing some really neat moves to get away from the revenants, mancubuses, and arachnotrons. And you pulled off some neat mapping tricks too.

Props. Now let's see congestion 128. >:D

to beat the end boss there are two switches you need to switch, though they may be hard to reach...

uploaded a new version, same url, should have addressed the HOM issues. glad you all like it :-)

Severely Underrated. It makes me wanna release a 384 project on my own

These are awesome. I'm really surprised at how well you managed to work in a 384 square area and still have some cool layouts and gameplay. I'm up to MAP17 so far (MAP16 kept kicking my ass, heh). Good stuff!

I enjoyed this ... good job.

Things noticed ...

MAP 10 ... Players on EASY skill get no reward for finding the secret.

MAP 11 ... Player can still activate the switch at line 87 even if sector 14 is closed.

MAP 12 ... Sector 0 serves no purpose since when crossing line 44, sector 17 rises to sector 1's floor height, hiding the texture on line 76 etc.

MAP 13 ... If the player falls in lava and sector 14 has already risen, the player is trapped and dies - intentional ?

MAP 10 ... I started out doing skill levels but (like the detailing) didnt get time to impliment it properly, i recommend UV all the way :-)

MAP 11 ... if that's the second switch of the sequence that's supposed to be obscured by a door, shh!

MAP 12 ... will look into this, as not sure what you mean

MAP 13 ... yup, heh

Good stuff. It's re-assuring having a set of maps that even I am guaranteed not to get lost in.

I've started making a set of my own based faintly on the original Doom II levels, since my own project is starting to feel like a chore. On MAP03 so far.

cycloid said:

In the true spirit of 1024.wad and 64.wad in being cramped, hard, good clean fun and being a-number-ending-in-4

No, the point is that they're powers of two. You fail it.

fraggle said:

No, the point is that they're powers of two. You fail it.

128 * 3 = 384, smartass, and the "ending in 4" bit is just a coencidence i made a joke out of. I decided 256 was too small and 512 not constricting *enough*!

Good, clean fun for the whole family. :)

These levels were actually pretty cool to play through.

cycloid said:

128 * 3 = 384,

Yes, and that is not a power of two!

Don't mind me, it just grates on my sense of programmer aesthetics :-)

cycloid said:

I decided 256 was too small and 512 not constricting *enough*!

64 units was enough for the author of 64.wad, but 256 isn't enough for you? Spoiled, I say!

fraggle said:

64 units was enough for the author of 64.wad, but 256 isn't enough for you? Spoiled, I say!

heh, I've always wanted to see a project where small sections of rooms are put together like some kind of rogue dungeon. 256 or 512 sized sections, 25 each map, for a total of 32 maps-- the kicker? every one participating would make a room for each level. dungeon templates could be made with items and doors already in place, and the mappers could work from there.

So, somehting like what cycloid made ( all the levels) could be equivalent to one "dungeon" or level--- provided the keys could be deleted as they are used. :-)

Csonicgo said:

heh, I've always wanted to see a project where small sections of rooms are put together like some kind of rogue dungeon. 256 or 512 sized sections, 25 each map, for a total of 32 maps-- the kicker? every one participating would make a room for each level. dungeon templates could be made with items and doors already in place, and the mappers could work from there.

So, somehting like what cycloid made ( all the levels) could be equivalent to one "dungeon" or level--- provided the keys could be deleted as they are used. :-)

Already been done.

384.wad seems nice. I like how there's continuity between the levels.

@Fraggle

I too am a programmer by profession, hence to me 384 is a nice round number, unlike say, 400!

Haha, funny. I tend to feel the same way about numbers. 128 is the closest number to 100 that I'm at home with. Heh.

Funny that EC was brought up. I played it for shits and giggles (but mostly because I forgot what my part of the level looked like), and when I was close to clearing out the level, I died in my section. God I made that shit way too hard, heh.