Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Airman266

Favorite Doom 64 level?

Just curious as to what your favorite Doom 64 level is? Mine would haveta be Level 13: Dark Citadel. I love the atmosphere and music in this level. I love the layout, the monster placement, everything. It's dark, eerie, and mostly slow-paced (there's not monsters popping out every 2 feet) so you have a chance to absorb all of it. The wooden column room near the start with the specters and hell knights is one of my favorite single rooms in all of Doom. D64 feels more space-horror than any of the other games, in my opinion, and this room really sets it off with the starlight shining through the windows and the Milky Way sprawled across the sky outside. After all the creeping around I love the big fight in the open chamber with all the pillars with gotchic architecture. And the room near there with the 6? Barons and the darts is fun. Overall one of my fave levels in all of Doom.

A close second would be Level 12: Terror Core. While not as dark, this level feels very eerie as well, and has great use of over-under trickery new to D64. The level feels complex but not confusing. Lots of different monsters, and a little more action than Dark Citadel. All in all these would be my two favorite levels.

And for all the old-timers on here: I don't much care if someone asked this question back in 2003 or something, because if I post on that thread the same leeches will reply whining that I "bumped" a thread. I also doubt anyone cares that you don't have a favorite level because you hated them all, hated Doom 64, and hated everyone who made Doom 64. Thank you, come again.

Personally I don't think there was any that I didn't like. I did particularly like Altar of Pain though. I thought the X bridge in Alpha Quadrant was pretty sweet. I like Main Engineering too, because of how some of the empty rooms tend to be "built" before your eyes.

A favorite out of 38 levels? (doom legacy pc version) Wow, let me bring up the level list so I can remember which is which...

I'd say "breakdown" is my favorite. From the transforming rooms, to the sneak attacks, to the downright frightening music, it's a classic doom level that stands out in the set.

Scratch what I said earlier. I hated that map so much.

I really enjoyed almost all of the first 6 techbase maps (this is probably because I played them over and over when I had the N64 version). From those, I'd say my favorite was 'The Terraformer'. Aside from those, I'd have to say one of my favorites is 'Breakdown' for the same reasons that pizzabob18 described. 'Cat and Mouse' is probably another favorite of mine just because of that initial encounter with the Cyberdemon. That map startled the crap out of me the first time I played it.

Levels 11, 12 and 13 because of the creepy ambience, music and atmosphere.

DoomUK said:

Dark Citadel and In the Void.

Damn, how did I forget In the Void? That was a really eerie level too. I thought the intro text to it was perfect too.

Airman266 said:

I also doubt anyone cares that you don't have a favorite level because you hated them all, hated Doom 64, and hated everyone who made Doom 64.

I don’t like Doom 64 at all, lol. Compared to the PC version it is a silly joke!

Definitely Nukage Facility (TC map07). It just gets that gloomy Doom64 industrial base feel realised so well. I only played the Doom 64 TC and just recently noticed that this map is one of the new levels by Kaiser added exclusively to the TC.

Alpha Quadrant also has a really good layout, but scale and detail was a bit off IMO.

I also agree that Dark Citadel is one of the best hell themed levels, interesting layout, cool atmosphere and well paced combat.

Hard to pick which one was my favorite, theres a lotta good ones...I'd say Dark Citadel (Level 13) as well because of its dark atmosphere.

Dark Citadel, an awesome level in terms of music and atmosphere... Plus I always loved the traps in that level.

Overall though I enjoyed pretty much every level.