Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
maggot202

dynamic lights in gzdoom

Hi
i'd like to add lights to some objects, like torchs or lamps (like jdoom does). Is there a website that explains how to do this?

thanks!

thanks man!
Another question, where sould i put the code? in the ENTER/OPEN script, i assume?

thanks again, if i can pull this off nicely, i'll abandon my doomsday project and switch it to gzdoom. The scripting was too much complicated on that port :(

You assume incorrectly. GLDEFS, like MAPINFO, ANIMDEFS etc is a text based control lump. So, put your light definitions in to a text file then stick it in the WAD as a lump called GLDEFS.

If you want to see a ready-made example, look inside lights.pk3 that should have come with GZDoom.

Wow. Just wow.
So it was as simple as opening the lights.pk3 file, take the doomdefs.txt file in it, save as GLDEFS.txt and incorporate into the wad as a lump via XWE or something. I wonder why people doesn't do this more often, it makes almost any level prettier to look at.

So, jdoom, i guess this is farewell for us, but you'll always have a place in my heart, as you were the first doom port i used :(

I was going to mention that, but I figured that since no one else mentioned it there must be something wrong with using it.

I guess I learned my lesson, sorry I didn't speak up.

maggot202 said:

thanks again, if i can pull this off nicely, i'll abandon my doomsday project and switch it to gzdoom. The scripting was too much complicated on that port :(

The reason you've probably had such a hard time with XG was because you were trying to use it as a scripting language and approached it as such. It isn't. XG is basically BOOM's generalized linetypes on steroids.

DuckReconMajor said:

That was fun.

Thanks man :)

Another question regarding this same matter: is there a way to give textures and/or flats light? (again, like jdoom does), i read the page above, but it seemed like only objects could give dynamic light, but one never knows.