Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Lighting on floor but not ceilings

Make the ceiling of the light sector very tall and don't use textures on it's upper sidedefs. This makes the engine draw flats over it. Just don't make the light sectors too big. Boom also can transfer lights to make this easier.

Can I ask what map that is (in the first screenshot) and if it is worth playing? It looks potentially cool.

I was just having the same issue with my map - you can raise the ceiling but I that is possibly buggy and you can't use it in certain situations (if there is a wall touching that sector, or you still want to see that particular sector's ceiling texture, etc.) so I'd go with "transfer lights".

Christoph said:
...and you can't use it in certain situations (if there is a wall touching that sector, or you still want to see that particular sector's ceiling texture, etc.)... [/B]

You have to be creative enough. The light transfer effect works both ways (on floors and ceilings, and for lightening or darkening) and they can be nested within each other. So there is pretty much no situation where you can't achieve the result you're looking for. There is one disadvantage to using this method that I know of, which is if you cross the sectors, even if they appear dark, your character sprite/weapon sprite might light up oddly. Yet again, there is a way to get around this by flooding the sector with a broken sector using the correct light level.

Sigh. It's all really complicated stuff to explain, but if you're hardcore about remaining vanilla compatible, sometimes you take extreme and tedious steps to nail even the most insignificant things.

Christoph said:
Can I ask what map that is (in the first screenshot) and if it is worth playing? It looks potentially cool.

It is Travers Dunne's Nostalgia Station.