Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Halmburgur

How long are Doomworld forum bans?

I was just wondering how long the Doomworld forum bans where, While browsing through the Wads/mods section of the forum I found a neat project. Unfortunately the author managed to get banned.

No fixed length. It depends how stupid, abusive or disruptive the person was (or if they have been so repeatedly), and whether they ask in reasonable fashion to be unbanned.

Many bans are permanent, since if a moderator or admin thinks someone is a generally decent poster who has just shown bad judgement on one issue or two, they will instead tend to place them in losers, with a view to letting them out once they have demonstrated that they understand what they did wrong, and are unlikely to repeat it.

Recently on skulltag they reformed all bans as 'New Years/Christmas' present to reform moderation and to give others second chances.
Has DoomWorld ever done this? Or is planning to do so? I'd really love to see the banned authors project complete...

Halmburgur said:

Has DoomWorld ever done this?

No.

Halmburgur said:

Or is planning to do so?

No.

Halmburgur said:

I'd really love to see the banned authors project complete...

Try sending an email to him/her.

If you're Hitler or raped Linguica mom, or are all like "DOOMWORLD HATES ME EVERYONE CAN GO TO HELL", the ban is permanent. Some people have gotten back in after a couple years.

i was banned in 1999 i think, and asked in 2002 to be let back in.

i just now have been unlosered after possibly a month

EarthQuake said:

Try sending an email to him/her.

I received a response from Sniper, He gave me a link to the DooM64 II website and few other places he asked me if I could post this message.

I've contacted bloodshedder, although he was unresponsive and I was unable to locate Grazza's PM (since I couldn't PM him). I guess he doesn't care about me... If unbanned I wouldn't request any Alpha mods (such as the doom3 e3 alpha that sentenced me to a ban hammer). I'm not the type to break the rules on purpose. I really I can be given a second chance. There's even an old saying "everyone deserves a second chance". I just wish I would have gotten a warning instead of a ban...

Although I hesitated Emailing him, I thought he'd troll me to death. it turns out he's very cooperative and is willing to help out in just about everything. He even showed me a preview to his other wads, Impressive wads to say the least.

Not sure who the guy is or the exact circumstances that got him banned, but he seems like a reasonable person from what you posted, in my opinion at least.

I had a sneaking suspicion that (sniper) 109 was the member in question (mentioning the Skulltag forum amnesty was a bit of a giveaway) who was banned for this.

GreyGhost said:

I had a sneaking suspicion that (sniper) 109 was the member in question (mentioning the Skulltag forum amnesty was a bit of a giveaway) who was banned for this.

From what he told me, he isn't too proud of that ban. Although I personally think it great to see him here! From what I played of his other projects released on Skulltag he's not some ambitious author who makes crap wads. well not in '09. I from what he said of course. I really think he's honest and trust worthy, since he wasn't afraid to bring up his past (redoom series) that apparently no one liked, although I enjoyed playing through it, perhaps its just me however.
But I was shocked when I played kdip.wad, I don't think I've ever played a more captivating wad in my life. So Grazza I believe (sniper) 109 should be unbanned. He from what I read of the message he sent me he has no intent on disobeying the rules.

Creaphis said:

whoops

Link or it never happened?

exp(x) said:

I propose that Halmburgur is secretly (sniper) 109.

I didn't know that Inspector gadget.

Well, it looks like someone made an account, and was banned for asking about obtaining the leaked doom3 alpha. Then made an account asking about how long doomworld bans last and trying to trump up support to get their original user name unbanned. If this is not the true case, and Halmburgur has contact with the banned author of unnamed in progress .wad, then they could probably inform the original author that there are sources aside from Doomworld to pimp their .wads and facilitate their requests for info on getting the alpha.

Halmburgur said:

I'd really love to see the banned authors project complete...

Yes, because any project requires having a forum account on DW before it can be officially completed.

This is an excellent example of the kind of stunt to pull if you are looking to be IP banned.

Creating multiple accounts clogs the database, is ban/loser evasion and worst of all, seriously pisses us all off.