Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brandon D. Lade

Try out this new Skulltag wad!

A new Skulltag wad called Tribute has been released this week. From all I've seen, it looks to be a really good wad (it's gotten some very high ratings too). However, almonst no one has voted on it as the best wad of the year so far in my recent poll, so I am wondering if many people have noticed it. So I just posted this to make sure people are aware of this new release. Feel free to leave your thoughts below.

EDIT: Also, by the way, other than this and the Wart series, do you know of any other really good SP wads for Skulltag?

Brandon D. Lade said:

do you know of any other really good SP wads for Skulltag?

SpaceDM5 is a great space player wad, you should totally give it a try.

zap610 said:

SpaceDM5 is a great space player wad, you should totally give it a try.

I can't find the wad (please provide a link), and also that looks like it's DM; I'm looking for SP.

Awesome co-op WAD. I like the weapons implemented like the combat shotgun replacing the normal, thus have to reload it with one of the buttons (right mouse I had to use).

Again, I only played up to the second "level" outside of the city looking map with Deeforce. Lots of monster blasting for people wanting to kill stuff.

Mr. Chris said:

Awesome co-op WAD. I like the weapons implemented like the combat shotgun replacing the normal, thus have to reload it with one of the buttons (right mouse I had to use).

Again, I only played up to the second "level" outside of the city looking map with Deeforce. Lots of monster blasting for people wanting to kill stuff.

How is it for Single Player?

Mr. Chris said:

Havn't tried it in SP yet.

That's OK. May you please tell me your opinion when/if you do play it in SP? That would be appreciated. Thank you.

Brandon D. Lade said:

other than this and the Wart series, do you know of any other really good SP wads for Skulltag? [/B]

Wart aside, the phrases "good wad" and "SkullTag" are mutually exclusive

More correctly, only two of the three conditions: "good", "single player", and "Skulltag exclusive" can apply to any single wadfile, aside from the Wart series.

Creaphis said:

More correctly, only two of the three conditions: "good", "single player", and "Skulltag exclusive" can apply to any single wadfile, aside from the Wart series.

Please don't put words in my mouth. I am fully aware of what I said.

But if we bring multiplayer into this, igpack and the original Skulltag deathmatch maps are all that that port has to offer in any manifestation. (aside from the previously mentioned WART.

NO ghouls forest doesnt count, as it plays in ZDoom just as well.

TheMionicDonut said:

Creaphis said:

You mean you don't even like Tribute (in SP)? That would be very surprising.

Brandon D. Lade said:

EDIT: Also, by the way, other than this and the Wart series, do you know of any other really good SP wads for Skulltag?

Normally, Skulltag is for multiplayer only, but there is one more exception: TGRCP1.

Brandon D. Lade said:

Feel free to leave your thoughts below.

I don’t like map01 of Tribute, because in singleplayer there it is too difficult at the beginning (skill 1) and after this, the gameplay is just not my taste, but map02 looks more promising. I tested map02 a bit in singleplayer and it looks beautiful and the level makes fun to play… I will play more later on.

TheMionicDonut said:

Please don't say that until you have tried every single player wad ever created for Skulltag. I'm quite offended by your statement.

The /idgames rating for this wad (Tribute) just dropped to 4 stars (on the 24th vote), and the person who did that didn't even leave a review. If your opinion of a wad is different from the consensus, that's OK, but I like to at least be able to see a review to know why. Sorry, but it is a pet peeve of mine when something like this happens and the person who caused it doesn't even drop a line to explain why.

Of course, if you know you're the one who provided that crucial 24th vote and didn't leave a review, it would be appreciated if you explained yourself here. I do NOT mean to be offending you in any way - you have the right to your own opinion. Thank you.

Brandon D. Lade said:

The /idgames rating for this wad (Tribute) just dropped to 4 stars (on the 24th vote). How dare that half-star of the fifth disappear from this great wad.

You know, this attitude is probably going to incite people to vote down the mod even more, even though it doesn't deserve to suffer from your aggressive promotion of it as you weren't even involved in its creation.

Gez said:

You know, this attitude is probably going to incite people to vote down the mod even more, even though it doesn't deserve to suffer from your aggressive promotion of it as you weren't even involved in its creation.

I know, I'm sorry. I really don't mean to be insulting anybody at all. It is just a huge pet peeve and the attitude triggered from it came out a bit. I will modify the post and remove any truly offensive statements. Sorry if you thought I was trying to offend somebody.

Also, what do you mean by using the phrase "agressive promotion of it"? I maybe have a guess, but I don't fully understand.

BTW, I was not involved in any way in its creation, but how did you know that? Just curious.

Brandon D. Lade said:

Also, what do you mean by using the phrase "agressive promotion of it"? I maybe have a guess, but I don't fully understand.

The quote you modified and the "why am I the only one who voted for it" comment in your poll thread. It's not offending, but it's annoying to be told that we are supposed to find something awesome.

As for how I guessed, I thought it was obvious.

Brandon D. Lade said:

Of course, if you know you're the one who provided that crucial 24th vote and didn't leave a review, it would be appreciated if you explained yourself here.

Oh ... my ... god. You don’t know about the idgames review/poll center? Well, the review center is there just for fun. You shouldn’t look at the star rating so seriously, because it is pointless, but even when I think it’s useless, I also think it’s funny, because you can write/vote something :-P ! I like it nontheless.

Also: I think most people don’t say anything about the wad here in this thread is because they haven’t played it long enough yet :-P !

What Brandon D. Lade doesn't seem to understand is that when a ZDoom or Skulltag forum member (barring those who frequent DW, of course) votes for a wad, they look for the following things:
Weapon replacements
Scripting
MP3/OGG music
Custom monsters
At best mediocre, often bad mapping
Quake-style button sequence puzzles

For each one they find in the wad they give one extra star. Since Tribute contains all six you see posts on idgames with people hoping they could give the wad six stars. But, you see, here at Doomworld people prefer to rate maps based on the maps quality, not all that other pointless shit added to it.

Now, I did play the first map of Tribute and it's worth two and a half, maybe three, stars. The map was pretty dull, the beginning street area was simply bad, the first bigger fight was a circle strafing snooze fest, it was completely linear, no interesting encounters and you were given ridiculous amounts of ammo for the fights and it seemed as if the mapper had been scared of making you face monsters...I mean, give me a break, what were those shotgunners in the Quaky-puzzle room doing standing on those pillars? Or that one arachnotron in the downward stairs trying to shoot you through the window but hitting the wall, while you could easily kill it with the pistol? The only at all challenging part was that trap in the dark hallway after visiting the room locked with the yellow key.

Oh and did I mention that there's copyrighted music in it? The wad's a quick candidate for removal from the archives.

Okay, as I often do in my *ahem* brash statements that I make roughly every other post, albiet something I have been attempting (however miserably) to cut down on, I will be a little more specific in my statement.

NOTE that none of this reflects my opinion on the SkullTag community.

As an engine itself, SkullTag is one of, if not THE most versatile ports in all of doom. As such, the wads released exclusively for it should be just as up to par. So in order for me to deem a wad "Good" I expect the following out of it.

- Optimal usage of Skulltags features.
- Halfway Decent detailing
- Some degree of Originality
- No overkill on one particular aspect
- make it FUN!

those qualities alone pretty much eliminate everything I have ever seen that is skulltag exclusive, save for the wads that come with skulltag, and the base wads for the built in modes; particularly Invasion and Domination, which i thought were built in with skulltag for some reason unknown to me now.

Also, For further clarity, I am excluding things made, in part or the whole, by the Skulltag Communtiy for ports other than skulltag, namely 32in24

Or, it could just be that abysmal wads like Terry's steaming piles of rhinoceros dung happen to be Skulltag exclusive and drag down the image. For that, (in conjuction with other events surrounding Skulltag) I apologize.