Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Snow Day!!

5 inches here. Glad too I hate monday classes cause im on campus for 9 hours straight.

Not today, but the weather forecast is that snow will hit us by about Wednesday. However, mid February: almost 2 weeks of snowdays. :D

I walked across the lake today. On the ice. The mist was so thick you could barely see across on the narrowest places.

Thanks for posting guys! Where is everyone posting from?

Enjay, Where are you??? Northeastern Quebec? Northeastern Nova Scotia? New Brunswick? St. John's?

Massachusetts here, about 25 miles north of Hartford, CT.

Hellbent said:

Enjay, Where are you??? Northeastern Quebec? Northeastern Nova Scotia? New Brunswick? St. John's?

Aberdeenshire, Scotland. The snow wasn't that bad - maybe 16 inches lying in my back garden after a few days. However, it was bad enough to make the roads difficult for the school buses in the mainly rural area where the kids at my school come from. To be fair, I had about 4 days that were snow days, but I got ill and took a couple of days off. By the time I was ready to return to work, the snow had started again so I had almost 2 solid weeks off. :D

This was taken in my garden before the heaviest fall of snow:

It's all gone now though. It melted really quickly. The temperature a few days after the pic was taken was strangely warm and most of it went within 24 hours. o_O

Although 2009 has had some of the best snow for a number of years, it was nowhere near as good as this - taken a few years ago (I forget which year).

That is the road into my village. The people are my wife and son. The snow plough finally got through and we were on a mission to go and find my car which my wife had to abandon 2 days earlier. We found it half a mile away still pretty well buried and we couldn't get it out for a number of days. Not that I was going to be going anywhere in a hurry anyway as the wind blew the snow back into the road and filled it up again that night. That's probably the best snow that I've seen.

Holy shit! It's 72 out!! :D

New Mexico here... haven't had any snow since Jan, but this heat wave is something else. Damn global warming!!

Hellbent said:

Anyone else have a snow day today? How much snow did you get? Got about 8 inches here.

Enjoy your school days in July. :)

Yeah, when I was a kid, I looked foward to the snow day, but then realized around 4'th grade, that each snow day, meant you stayed another day longer into June.
Around here in New England, some schools may be going into July before summer break, with all the snow, and a crippling December ice storm.

Snow days don't really work properly for me. So far I have had 2 "snow" days and all they have had was a bit of rain. Then there were two days with whiteouts and slippery roads but we still had to go to school. There was even a bus that went in the ditch on one of those days. I am wondering if I am seeing the same things that the people who call it are.

Georgef551 said...
Yeah, when I was a kid, I looked foward to the snow day, but then realized around 4'th grade, that each snow day, meant you stayed another day longer into June.

That's just terrible :'(

Got about 3 or 4 inches around here, but I don't have any classes on Mondays anyway so it just gave me some shoveling to do :(

Georgef551 said:

Enjoy your school days in July. :)

...but then realized around 4'th grade, that each snow day, meant you stayed another day longer into June.

See, we don't have that system here. A snow day is a snow day. You miss school, that's that day gone forever. Summer, or any other, holidays are not affected. :P

'course, we have shitty Summer weather. :/

Hellbent said:

Thanks for posting guys! Where is everyone posting from?

Massachusetts here, about 25 miles north of Hartford, CT.

Heh, didn't know you lived so close to me. I'm in NE CT. Snowed like a mofo here too. UCONN canceled apparently, but I have no classes on Mondays.

Enjay said:

See, we don't have that system here. A snow day is a snow day. You miss school, that's that day gone forever. Summer, or any other, holidays are not affected. :P

'course, we have shitty Summer weather. :/

You son of a bitch

Just a dusting, unfortunately, and it was a little bit on the wet side too. I'm currently at Park City, Utah. A decent amount of snow is forecast for later in the week though.

Jeez, what's all this nonsense about extra days to compensate for the odd day missed by schoolkids through foul weather? That shit wouldn't float in England. No one learns anything at school anyway.

Yeah, I only remember them pulling that crap in the last few years of my education. Hey, at least we're not Japan.

It snowed about 1/8th inch where I live... about 11 years ago in the coldest part of January. However, the mountain a few miles away had some snow recently.

Shaikoten said:

Heh, didn't know you lived so close to me. I'm in NE CT. Snowed like a mofo here too. UCONN canceled apparently, but I have no classes on Mondays.

UMASS didn't update their website until 4:30am. Woulda been a drag to have gone to school on 4 hours of sleep if they hadn't closed. What do you study over at UCONN?

I was in Antarctica the past couple of weeks and the lowest the temperature got where we were was about 29 degrees. Then we had a long layover in DC and it was around 20 degrees. It was pretty disillusioning...

No snow today but the forecast is for "light snowfalls possible about the higher peaks". Just your typical Tasmanian summer.