Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gggmork

more unfinished weirdness

Ha, awesome. You have GOT to start putting these things in actual levels. I want to see your knack for bizarre Boom constructs and Equinox-level grandeur put to real use.

I love the giant switch. I was half-expecting for it to exit the level, with an absolutely earth-shattering "click".

Neat. I liked the twisty mini-pyramid and the wolfenstein door textured-stalagmite/stalactite thingie.

Why are these things not in an actual level yet? Combined with your earlier efforts the most original and interesting level, possibly ever, could be created. Really loved the complete weirdness of it, especially the GIANT switch.

The giant switch is adorable. And the wooden construct reminded me of those castle things in playgrounds and stuff. I'd love to see something like that in a level.

I should be able to make the biggest switch evar 'work' (handle move and green section get brighter) but havn't tried yet or thought of what a switch that big could possible trigger. The white teeth things might be a mouth to something (in a 2.5d world I had to layer the radiating circles over eachother and tag them weird to move right) and I might be able to make that cross eyed switch's eyes move up and down (one annoyance is moving floors make a lot of noise).
Despite the fairly simple motion, that red separating pole thing took about 400 dummy walk over lines (if you look in doombuilder)it also has blue textures hidden behind the red ones for some 'red to blue' change to happen there eventually) - could have taken much less if I simply made new textures (not that I know how) instead of multiple stacked sectors. I had to set up temporary visual guides to even figure out which lines should trigger what next (basically I had dummy sector ceilings, but even the dummy's ceilings had to change). I'd probably like making weird monsters if I knew how.
Thanks for checking it out.

Why there's no actual level yet, hmm, well that first map was approaching the seg limit probably (so I probably couldn't add this stuff to that one or too many lines). I'll probably 'levelize' them eventually. I kinda bipolarly make levels where I only care about (difficult) gameplay mostly ignoring detail/textures, or instead intricacy/weirdness/motion (these things can ultimately subtract from the actual gameplay probably, but still interesting nonetheless).

gggmork said:

I should be able to make the biggest switch evar 'work' (handle move and green section get brighter) but havn't tried yet or thought of what a switch that big could possible trigger.

The biggest switch evar should open the biggest door evar revealing the biggest monstar evar.

liek duh..

The biggest switch evar should open the biggest door evar revealing a single former human.

Heh heh

Make sure it opens top to bottom to build up the drama. Then when it hits the bottom you'll see him just walking around before he shoots you, oblivious to what's going on.

And then you shoot the former human, awaking a horde of cacos, a la Evilution map 31.

Or, it's really just one former human a la Nuts 2.

It's hard to think of what the right payoff really would be, especially if you don't want it to be one that's been done before.

Yeah, a former human would probably be cliche. Do I need to use dehacked, or its windows equivalent, or what if I want to at least edit the sprites for monsters for boom (like simply reversing an imps 360 degree frames so it always walks backwards, heh- or drawing new frames)? Is there a tutorial or something, like how are you supposed to know the exact rgb value for transparency or generally how to do it? I might not have a chance to map for awhile though.

Just put a suicide bomber behind it. You could even do it in dehacked.

Alternately make it crash the game, those are always fun