Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is it possible in Zdoom to make a map where you are on a boat in water that moves around, like in that blood map set in the arctic or something where the water is bobbing up and down and the boat drifts around and there is a moving piece of ice that you can jump on to grab the thompson gun.?

Or would you need the build engine for that?

I don't know much about deeper editing, but since sectors are stationary (they can move up/down, but moving side to side needs a fake illusion I think.. ex. if you have a 'snake' of multiple square raised columns, immediately lower a square at the back and immediately raise a square at the front simultaneously, to create the illusion the snake is moving to the side. If the player was on top of the snake the player would stay stationary rather than moving with it though).
Monsters aren't stationary like sectors, so I'd imagine it might be possible to modify a cacodemon to make it really large and look like a boat, and possibly ride on its back (not sure if player would move with the cacodemon or stay stationary), pushing it around with the wind effect maybe (and put it in that fake sector water stuff).
But I don't know much doom techie stuff, so maybe that's wrong, and wouldn't know how to do it if its right.

For Boom and compatible ports moving the water sector's floor will simulate the appearance of moving. In ZDoom at least you can also bob the same sector's floor up and down in a wave pattern (see Floor_Waggle). The iceberg will be more difficult, unless you turn it into an object. But that will make it difficult\strange looking to jump on top of.

I don't know how Action Doom did it, as i've never played that section. BUT for the purposes of all but the most expert editors it's best to just go by the fact that "moving objects" you can ride around are just not possible in Doom. (In any port)

deathbringer said:

BUT for the purposes of all but the most expert editors it's best to just go by the fact that "moving objects" you can ride around are just not possible in Doom. (In any port)

It is possible to simulate some vehicles, such as trains, through trickery. A boat can basically be thought of as a train on water. I couldn't possibly tell you how you make trains in Doom to begin with, though.

Trains in Doom are created by using scrolling textures on all the scenery. The "train" doesn't move and neither does the landscape.

I imagine the Action Doom boat scene involves some camera trickery.

david_a said:

Trains in Doom are created by using scrolling textures on all the scenery. The "train" doesn't move and neither does the landscape.

There was a subway scene in either Chex Quest 2 or 3 where this trick was used. Download available here. Link for Chex Quest 3 is at the top of the page (Each episode corresponds to the next game - eg. Episode 1 = Chex Quest, Episode 2 = Chex Quest 2, Episode 3 = Chex Quest 3)

A recap for the posters above who are apparantly not familiar with this particular Blood level: player starts out on a rowing boat, that moves towards the main part of the level carrying the player with it. You can jump in the water, go under it, and back in, etc.

Don't think it can be done in ZDoom atm.

The examples linked above either involve visual trickery, or sectors raising/lowering vertically in sequence to simulate horizontal movement.

Yes, the BUILD engine had moving sectors in the later versions. In the demo of Shadow Warrior there are some vehicles made out of sectors that you can drive around. They do have some obvious limitations like being forced to stay on a perfectly level area (are they stuck inside of a single sector?).

Making a steerable boat sounds like the best use of that technology, actually.

The only way to truly move linedefs (not sectors, mind you) in ZDoom is polyobjects. Everything "inside" the polyobject is nonexistant, i.e. void, so the player can't really be inside it, and as a result of being void, it's infinitely tall. Floors and ceilings can be moved up and down with Floor_ and Ceiling_Waggle, which is a lot smoother than Floor_/Ceiling_Raise/LowerByValue.

Making it look like you're on a ship, moving, you can make it by scrolling the surrounding water and put a Floor_Waggle on it.