Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TheeXile

Map idea: Boatmurdered

I'm gonna take a break from Voodoo Veyor momentarily to explore a new idea: A Doom recreation of the infamous Boatmurdered fortress.

If you aren't familiar with the name, you absolutely must allocate a few hours of time to read through the saga. It's by far the most epic, hilarious, and morbidly depressing (all at once) tale ever!

Here she is, in all her terrible glory:

"25th Moonstone, 1063, Early Winter

OH MY GOD. Sankis is on a bloody rampage! He mauled a baby and a cow, and now, at this very instant, he's beating the Elite Marksdwarf Kadol Lokumad into paste!

DID I MENTION HE IS ON FUCKING FIRE!??

Ladderface posted:

This is one of those moments that makes Boatmurdered what it is. Extermination of armies, gruesome engravings, and insane superpowered dwarf-wizards gone on a mad rampage while ON FIRE.

THIS IS BOATMURDERED!

So, does this sound like something worth making? And what might be a good way to go about doing it?

I'm quite enjoying this. In fact, it's got to be the most hilarious story I've ever read in my entire life. The game screenshots that go with it make it just that much better. I just got done laughing my ass off about this journal entry:

We've got a little elephant issue happening down south. I'm starting to understand why the previous owner had a million of them in cages. One or two got pissed, and they killed someone, and now the dwarves are trying to get the items from the guys that died, and the elephants are just running wild over everyone. A couple of the elephants got caught in the remaining cage traps, but one or two got through.

The brave military men of Boatmurdered assemble by the front gate, and they brave themselves for a rush at the mighty elephants.

And it was about then when the fucking dwarven caravan arrived. I ordered the military to hold fast. Let the caravan guardsmen get themselves slaughtered by the elephants before we do.

Which was also right about when a goblin thief jumped out and got clobbered by a stonefall trap

So the merchants arrive to see blood and vomit everywhere, us hauling corpses en masse to the graveyard, a couple rampaging elephants

WELCOME TO FUCKING BOATMURDERED!

Oh my fucking God, I can't express the amount of lols I'm getting from this.

EarthQuake said:

I'm quite enjoying this. In fact, it's got to be the most hilarious story I've ever read in my entire life. The game screenshots that go with it make it just that much better. I just got done laughing my ass off about this journal entry:

Oh my fucking God, I can't express the amount of lols I'm getting from this.

Nor I.

Now the question is: How to turn it into a proper Doom map?

Well, if you want my honest opinion, I don't think it could be done reasonably. It requires a story-driven backend that Doom isn't really capable of, at least not in the extent of what the story requires. Even if it could, I wouldn't have the slightest clue of how go about retelling the story, especially using Doom's resources, although it might serve better in the Heretic/Hexen universe though...

But... Boatmurdered is just too epic of story to try and recreate in Doom.

NeoWorm said:

Do it for HeXen! We need another megawad.
And you will probably need something like this:

Hmm. Interesting.

I'll have to get a hold of Hexen, first, and see what the game has to offer. One of the things I never got around to doing, alas.

Anyway, I've thought it over, and here's what I'm thinking I can do: I'll make this map a sort of "adventure mode" map where you perhaps enter in to Boatmurdered, become trapped inside by evil creatures, and have to battle your way through the (stylistically improvised) inner fortress to activate project "FUCK THE WORLD" (muahahaha!) to clear the path for your escape outside (and maybe also find some hidden treasures or legendary adamantium or something). Meanwhile, threats such as bloodthirsty pachyderms, rabid mandrills, malicious goblins, fire imps, tortured undead dwarves, dangerous subterrainean water sources, sporadic magma, and "madness" (a twisted idea I'm saving as a surprise) all stand in your way.

How does that sound? I think I'm gonna need scripting for this one. :P

Edit: Maybe I can do a "F.E.A.R" sorta thing with the fortress's lone "survivor", for added lulz.

Boatmurdered is fascinting. Good luck turning it into a Doom (or a Hexen) level. I am intrigued to see what you come out with.

I need some sprites for an especially creepy-looking dwarf child (girl). I don't suppose anyone knows what a female dwarf child ought to look like?

Taking a wild guess - smaller than your average dwarf and beardless.

If you get stuck - consider turning this into a community project, maybe mimicking the game by having development done on a "do a bit and pass it on" basis. In the process we could try to recreate key events in Boatmurdered's troubled history.

GreyGhost said:

Taking a wild guess - smaller than your average dwarf and beardless.

Fixed.

It have only one problem - this is based on stock image from dA, and that image have some use conditions - like "Shoudnt be used in art depicting cruelty on animals."
Hope that autor will permit me to use it as a game sprite.

NeoWorm said:

It have only one problem - this is based on stock image from dA, and that image have some use conditions - like "Shoudnt be used in art depicting cruelty on animals."
Hope that autor will permit me to use it as a game sprite.

Oh dear. Well that could be a problem. :P

So it's either unkillable elephants and no operation "FUCK THE WORLD", or we lie and say it's for a Zoo map or something. Or we find/make some other sprites.

I'll see if I can't buy an old toy elephant model or something. This ought to be a good chance to brush up on my 'shop skills.

I probably have toy elephant somewhere but I also found free 3D model on the net. It only needs a texture, animation and good render. Texture is not problem, neither is render, but I dont know anything about animation. If the autor refuses I will try to find someone to animate it for me.

I don't know a thing about 3d modeling, so if you could do that I would be grateful.

I'm starting on the floor plan now, by the way. Also gonna do some Dwarf Fortress homework, to try to make this as "authentic" as possible.

I started making textures. I will make something like 20 diferent engravings based on the ones from original game. 1 is done, needs scanning and postproduction.

And a fast "To do list":
-Elephant sprites with burning death
-Mandrill sprites with burning death (dont know where I will get some decent base for them)
-Dog sprites with burning death (I wont use the german shephard from wolfenstein - too overused)
-Cat sprites with burning death
-Puppy sprites with burning death
-Goblin sprites with burning death (I will modify the Witchaven one)
-Butterfly sprites (optional)
-Elephant calf sprites (optional)
-different Dwarves sprites
-Elephant bones decorations
-Various Dwarven tools decorations (hammers, axes, picks...)
-Statues (at least 5 different ones)

TheeXile: you're in good hands. :)

I would have loved to participate in the project, but I have too many of my own to work on. So, good luck to you, work hard, and give us something really worth playing.

TheeXile, before you get started on your mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure it's ultra nerdy so people will jump on without you contributing anything so far. Keep in mind we've seen plenty of projects that actually almost got done but no one cared because they weren't about Dwarf Fortress.

Bucket said:

TheeXile, before you get started on your mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure it's ultra nerdy so people will jump on without you contributing anything so far. Keep in mind we've seen plenty of projects that actually almost got done but no one cared because they weren't about Dwarf Fortress.

Uh, what?

I have one burning dwarf, two random full body dwarves, and a trumpeting elephant. And a broken scanner...
So previews will come next time.

NeoWorm said:

I have one burning dwarf, two random full body dwarves, and a trumpeting elephant. And a broken scanner...
So previews will come next time.

Before you continue, I really want to discuss what I'm planning first. Are you available later this week some time?